Why become a member? ×

The cost of a Fodera. Worth it?

thebassist

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1415352294' post='2599425']

Of course!

But you don't buy a Ferrari just because it's a car.
[/quote]

I was once offered a Ferrari 308 as company car and turned it down - it was wholly impractical of course but it's a decision I regret to this day :(

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1415352837' post='2599435']

I see you went for the quintessential "Englishman on holiday" combo of vest, shorts and sandals... good stuff...
[/quote]
But no sunburn or bad tattoos! Could be seen as letting the side down...

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1415352294' post='2599425']
But you don't buy a Ferrari just because it's a car.
[/quote]

I'd say that just about nails it.

A bass is primarily a tool that allows the user to do a job of work. On that basis, the key question should probably be 'will it make me a better player?'. OTOH, as a piece of 'art' it could be valued on a completely different basis.

I once knew someone who paid about £75k for a Holland & Holland shotgun. It was exquisitely made but it didn't make him shoot any better than a decent (and fitted) mass-produced shotgun.

I've never, ever played one.

I would like to play one, but I really don't see how they could be better, or do something for me, that either of the 2 basses that I currently own don't do.

I'm currently selling a fantastic Zon Sonus 6 string bass. In terms of build, playability and sound, it's quite simply amazing, I just prefer my Modulus, and need a fretless.

It all I guess, comes down to whether you can afford the cost of a Fodera, and need one, will it do something for your playing/music, that your current bass, or any other bass won't ?

After all, that's why you own a bass isn't it ?

For the music that you play.

If you're into slap, then you buy a bass that's suited to that style of music, and has the sound that you want. That may be a Jazz bass of some sort, for the 'Marcus' sound, if that's what you want.

If you play soul or blues, then maybe a P bass would be appropriate.

Most of the guys with Fodera's seem to be the modern jazz type of player, Matt Garrison, Janek, Anthony Jackson, Michael Pope etc.

There's an amazing Spanish luthier who builds some amazing, and very Fodera like basses -

[url="http://www.jcrluthier.com/album2.html"]http://www.jcrluthier.com/album2.html[/url]

Edited by ambient

A price of a bass is literally irrelevant. If you pick up a bass and know from the feel, sound and playability. You instantly fall in love with it so to speak. Only then do you ask a price. Which is what I prefer. Too much price before play which can put people off. There are a lot of tight people out there.

Honestly, before picking up a Fodera. There is definitely a train of thought which thinks, "This is really expensive, is it worth it?". But to be honest if Foderas did not have a reputation of being costly. Then they would be a lot more popular, obviously. But my point being that if you look at the boutique brands, they definitely have this common attribute of being too expensive for the average Joe, therefore putting them off them and criticizing them. Jealousy comes into play. If you can't have it, you either have GAS or dislike them immensely.

Personally I do think Foderas are worth it. Most of the basses that the guys in NYC make are different, show models, signature models. The amount of care and workmanship that goes into them gives them a certain level of prestige. A previous post already touched on this. Fodera make limited profit off the sales. Which indicates to me that a lot value goes into them so to speak. Building, wood selection, hardware not to mention the spell of the cases. When it comes to the sound of them, they can do any sound you require. The EQs are extremely good. Obviously the complexion of the players are mostly Jazz. So its great for the Modern Jazz sound. However I would argue that they could for fill any genre, easily.

And anyway, if you can't fork out the cash for a brand new Fodera. There are a few second hand knocking around on here and other websites which you could get for cheaper. Most Fodera owners would keep them in pristine condition..

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1415492662' post='2600964']
There's an amazing Spanish luthier who builds some amazing, and very Fodera like basses -

[url="http://www.jcrluthier.com/album2.html"]http://www.jcrluthier.com/album2.html[/url]
[/quote]

Crikey..... quite an influence of his design, I'd say... :lol: :lol:

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1415293710' post='2598916']

I would be tempted to get a cheap flight and collect it myself. Bass Central is an Aladdin's Cave. Well worth the trip if you can. I lost count of how many Stanley Clarke's I tried. I could spend weeks and a small fortune in there.
[/quote]
Well that's a great suggestion because if you have it shipped, the cost of shipping ,VAT, and import duty will cost you about the same as the trip to collect it.

Yes, Fodera's are worth it, supply and demand speaks for itself. Some people wouldn't think twice about forking out more for an old Fender? Would you rather have a beautifully crafted instrument completed with all the TLC possible, or some old 'dog' screwed together from mass produced bits?

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1415316299' post='2599259']
Smith is the epitome of 'modern' to me and nothing sounds like them...altho' I've gotten ball park
with a Sei Flamboyant.
If you want that Smith sound, it just has to be a Smith but if you don't, there isn't really anything else
you can do with the bass, IMO.

I've gone off signature sounding basses..or rather, all variations of, as I am in the 'Leo got it right with a Jazz'
vibe these days...
[/quote]
Most of the sound comes from the neck (which is deliberately built not to be super stiff but still has a very thick ebony fingerboard for stability) and the pickups which are humbuckers with both coils in parallel. Ironically the closest thing out there in terms of sound at the moment is a Peavey Cirrus but they don't give as much low end richness as the Smiths.

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1415560432' post='2601487']
Yes, Fodera's are worth it, supply and demand speaks for itself. Some people wouldn't think twice about forking out more for an old Fender? Would you rather have a beautifully crafted instrument completed with all the TLC possible, or some old 'dog' screwed together from mass produced bits?
[/quote]

Looking at the Artists bit of the Fodera site, it would appear Marcus Miller would - his picture shows him holding a Fender Jazz... :D

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1415523130' post='2601041']
Well that's a great suggestion because if you have it shipped, the cost of shipping ,VAT, and import duty will cost you about the same as the trip to collect it.
[/quote]

You'd still get hit for Import Duty and VAT bringing it in yourself, though...what you're saving is the shipping element.

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1415627534' post='2602087']

You'd only get hit with import duty/VAT if you declared it or got caught though right?
[/quote]

And if you do get caught then you've got nasty fines on top of the duties :(

Could be issues with importing without the required certificates from US Dept of Agriculture & Fisheries. The abalone in the Fodera logo requires this registration and every officially imported Fodera goes through this process. Not sure what the penalty for this is but could mean the bas would be impounded :(

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1415316299' post='2599259']
Smith is the epitome of 'modern' to me and nothing sounds like them...altho' I've gotten ball park
with a Sei Flamboyant.
If you want that Smith sound, it just has to be a Smith but if you don't, there isn't really anything else
you can do with the bass, IMO.

I've gone off signature sounding basses..or rather, all variations of, as I am in the 'Leo got it right with a Jazz'
vibe these days...
[/quote]

Yes, Leo certainly did get it right with the Jazz, but the Jazz sound is just as much a signature sound (or set of 3 signature sounds, to be more precise) as the Ken Smith sound. And the same is true of the Precision sound, and the Stingray sound, and many others.

For me, all the truly great, iconic basses/bass builders have a signature sound - Fender, Music Man, Alembic, MTD, Rickenbacker, Ken Smith, Wal, Warwick, etc. etc., … but Fodera? Nah. This is where Fodera fall short, in my view. Sure, they look incredible (if a bit bling for some tastes) and their playability is second to none, but they don't have a characterful or distinctive enough sound to make me want to spend lots of money on them. Too vanilla for my ears! OTOH, that may be one of the reasons why they are so popular with many pro players, who might be after something that has a very transparent and versatile sound palette, and fair enough. But I prefer a bit more sonic character in a bass, and Foderas simply don't do it for me in that department.

Oops sorry, straying a bit off topic! Are they worth it? As others have said already above, yes of course they are worth it to anyone who wants one and can afford one. But I reckon skej21's analysis at post #28 above may well be correct as well - i.e. the prices simply reflect the fact that this is what it costs to do what Fodera do.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1415625296' post='2602056']

Looking at the Artists bit of the Fodera site, it would appear Marcus Miller would - his picture shows him holding a Fender Jazz... :D
[/quote]

Fair point, but then again MM can afford it :)

Having said that, I prefer to sound of his Jazz any day.

In answer to the original question - it would definitely seem that some people think so.

We've had a 'run' on them at the shop since this thread started and we have sold a new Emperor Standard 5, a pre-owned Emperor Custom 4, sorted an order for a new Matt Garrison Standard 5 and it looks like an Emperor Custom 5 is going through as well!

I've not taken a forensic or scientific look but anecdotally, it appears that a lot of Foderas appear for sale second hand. Some where the seller has a number of Foderas and is purchasing another/new bass of the same brand, but many where the owner is getting out of Fodera ownership. I was in the latter camp - I sold the one Fodera I've owned to buy an alternative very high-end bass. The Fodera was very well built from great timbers - it played well and the tone was even/strong but without distinctive character. The bass just wasn't for me - rigid, 'big' and not really fun to play (all very personal of course). Worth the money? The US buyer thought so and I made a good few quid - 'makes a change!