Why become a member? ×

The cost of a Fodera. Worth it?

thebassist

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1415753389' post='2603528']
In answer to the original question - it would definitely seem that some people think so.

We've had a 'run' on them at the shop since this thread started and we have sold a new Emperor Standard 5, a pre-owned Emperor Custom 4, sorted an order for a new Matt Garrison Standard 5 and it looks like an Emperor Custom 5 is going through as well!
[/quote]

I liked the Emperor 4 custom you had - well, I liked the way it looked anyway - had it been a 5 or a 6, I'd have been interested in that one. I would like to try a Fodera but I'd only go second hand because of the amount of money I'd lose when I moved it on. And I'm 99% sure I would move it on eventually - all but two of my basses have been sold on in the end. :)

Edited by thebassist

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1415753389' post='2603528']
In answer to the original question - it would definitely seem that some people think so.

We've had a 'run' on them at the shop since this thread started and we have sold a new Emperor Standard 5, a pre-owned Emperor Custom 4, sorted an order for a new Matt Garrison Standard 5 and it looks like an Emperor Custom 5 is going through as well!
[/quote]

Ooh, forgot. Also sourced another Emperor 4 Custom for an overseas customer this week :)

I'm sure Foderas feel absolutely fantastic, but the designs have always left me completely cold! The Monarch for example, just looks very pedestrian to me and not at all striking. Just feels like the proportions are just slightly out, somehow...Never got on with the sound either. Too much modern-sounding (Warwick-esque, I guess!) growl, and never heard an example on one capable of a warm, more vintage tone. All personal opinion of course!

But I mean, seriously, [url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/product/fodera-matt-garrison-standard-2/"]this[/url] monstrosity for 7K!?...That body looks like Snoopy with his mouth open!

I think any instrument that inspires a player to pick it up and practice / gig is worth it. If I had the money I'm not sure I'd buy one, but I've already found 'the one'.

At those prices though, I wonder how much of the will to play would be 'inspiration' and how much would be 'I paid [i]how much[/i]' guilt?

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1415657334' post='2602519']
And if you do get caught then you've got nasty fines on top of the duties :(

Could be issues with importing without the required certificates from US Dept of Agriculture & Fisheries. The abalone in the Fodera logo requires this registration and every officially imported Fodera goes through this process. Not sure what the penalty for this is but could mean the bas would be impounded :(
[/quote]

My bass, bought in the EU has Abalone inlay fretboard markers, would that be a problem if I took it to the USA for a tour then tried to return to the UK with it?

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1415989500' post='2605924']
My bass, bought in the EU has Abalone inlay fretboard markers, would that be a problem if I took it to the USA for a tour then tried to return to the UK with it?
[/quote]
[color=#000000][font=Times][size=1]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Only "white abalone" (Haliotis sorenseni) is restricted, but this can be confusing as identifying types of abalone isn't always that simple.[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Permits are required for instruments shipped to any of the 173 CITES Convention signatory nations & coming out of the USA. I think this may also apply to things going in to the States as well[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"Instruments shipped without proper permits may be confiscated and lost to the owner forever with no compensation"[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]It would be worth checking if what you have is definitely abalone and, if so, if it's the restricted type or not. If it is this type then you'd be best to try and get the correct permits sorted. I've no idea how easy this is I'm afraid :([/size][/font][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1415969731' post='2605691']
I'm sure Foderas feel absolutely fantastic, but the designs have always left me completely cold! The Monarch for example, just looks very pedestrian to me and not at all striking. Just feels like the proportions are just slightly out, somehow...Never got on with the sound either. Too much modern-sounding (Warwick-esque, I guess!) growl, and never heard an example on one capable of a warm, more vintage tone. All personal opinion of course!

But I mean, seriously, [url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/product/fodera-matt-garrison-standard-2/"]this[/url] monstrosity for 7K!?...That body looks like Snoopy with his mouth open!
[/quote]

I'd rather have that than some of the other really very ugly single cut basses, there are a couple of UK builders that seem to have thought to themselves, lets do a single cut design with a difference, lets make sooooooo ugly !

:)

Edited by ambient

There's no denying that these are beautiful instruments hand made by craftsmen of the very highest calibre, but I can't ever recall hearing one and thinking " I must have that sound", maybe they are capable of a broader pallette of tones, but they always seem to sound a bit 'anaemic' to my ears. Maybe that's just me.

The Ferrari analogy is a good one. I commute 40 km daily, maximum speed in Norway is 100 km/h and only some highways... I think a Ferrari is a thing of beauty, but it would make as much sense to me as having a grown lion as your pet when you live in an apartment.
Incidentally I did see a Ferrari (white... yuk!) today, driving veeeery slowly: at one point it accelerated slightly and emitted a roar that sounded like "release me!". Poor thing.
Come to think of it, I've heard similar sounds also from some Foderas :D

Edited by Shedua511

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1415996058' post='2606048']
Oof, that's not helping... who is that bloke, anyway? Looks like his technique is terrible... ;)
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm not sure he's much of a player. . . :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjjgH6m57O0"]https://www.youtube....h?v=VjjgH6m57O0[/url]

Edited by molan

I am very close with everyone at Fodera. They are worth the money. You see them more and more now in better players hands. They are the Bugati of basses.

But what you may not realize is that what you get is a piece of bass history. Vinny Fodera worked for Stu Spector with Ned Steinberger when they were all starting out. Vinny and Stu did all the early prized NS-2 basses. Then Vinny through Stu did ALL of the early Ken Smith production. After that they did their own. I know the person who owns Fodera #2 (which is bass #1) and I have played it. Still perfect 30 years later.

So you are getting a hand carved, custom bass made of the finest wood selection on the east coast if not the whole US made by the two guys who have been part of what bass players would call the royalty of makers. Sort of like a Da Vinci if you will of basses. I have spent lots of time watching Vinny at work. Few luthiers spend as much time and care carving necks.

Does a Ferrari do anything different then a Fiat when driving across London? No. Both are cars and will get you there on time. But it's the feel and detail of the Ferrari that sets itself apart from the rest.

As an old guy I have some "players" like my vintage Danelectros that are fun to play, sound just fine and I don't worry about taking to the bad part of town. But the J. Backlund Design custom JBD-800B bass I own is just like butter and EVERY player I know who tries it refuses to put it down. ($4000 USD). The finer things are just that. Finer things. Does my $300 bottle of single malt get me better drunk then my $10 bottle of blended? Of course not. But it sure is smoother and makes me savor the experience.

Same for a Fodera. If you buy one tell Joey, Vinny, Laura and Jason I sent you.

Tom

I tried a Fodera once and it was ok, a good bass. Exactly like the Wooten video. Outstanding player, but the bass leaves me a a bit cold, honestly. Nice woods, but I prefer the original tone on 'Let's work' (a Fender jazz?) actually.

The Fodera 'mystique' is completely lost on me, I'm afraid. There's even people trading Foderas only for other Foderas. At those prices, even second hand, I doubt i will ever have the chance to change my mind...

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1415291933' post='2598895']
I don't think they are [i]that[/i] expensive in comparison to other custom build manufacturers. Bass Central have a great selection, in fact there is a very nice looking Emperor 6 there for $6,900 at the moment. Alembic, Ritter, Roscoe, Fodera or A N OTHER....it's going to be a hefty price tag whichever you choose.
[/quote]
Ive been to Bass Central

For my 0.02p, if you're a pro player and a fodera is what you'd call a reliable piece of kit that makes your job easier than any other bass would, then its probably worth it. To You. Personally I cant justify the outlay and I'm pretty sure Joe Punter or Jane Punter cant tell the difference either. They either want to dance, or they dont; and I think thats largely down to the player. They really cant tell one bass tone from another. My partner, for instance, doesnt like a P bass tone any more than a stingray tone.

Whether a £3k Fender from 1965 does the same either is a similar question in my book. Is it really so much better than a y2k jap reissue, or a modern american standard? Probably not. And you can have it altered to feel the comfortable way an old fender does.