Why become a member? ×

The cost of a Fodera. Worth it?

thebassist

I could not afford a new Fodera, If I had lots of money I would, but only after I had a stacknob in the back room.
However I bought a 2nd hand one a year ago of here. It was made in 2000. Imperial Elite 5 Chestnut Burl.
Judged on its build quality, its tone its playability it was very much worth the money. Being a Fodera it was in great condition and had been cherished.

For me the definition is can I do things on it that I can't on other instruments? The answer a definite yes.

So my suggestion is buy a 2nd hand custom job. Same goodies, much less cash.

[quote name='juliusmonk' timestamp='1457997749' post='3003868']
Not all of them are ugly, most are simply dull imo. Fbass are sexy. ACGs are daring. Alembics are beautiful (but not very ergonomic). Fenders/MM are classic. Dingwalls are futuristic. For me, Foderas are neither here nor there.

The question about what is overpriced or not is debatable, but it simply cannot be justified in terms of higher costs - when you have so many top notch luthiers using the absolute best materials and components and building to perfection, who sit firmly in the 2000-4000£ bracket. Location is part of it, but to quote Flight of the Conchords 'what are your overheads??!'

It has to be mystique (= marketing), which is fine. We all succumb to this one way or another. Look at how many people want to trade Foderas for other Foderas with opposite specs... Ah, but it has to be a Fodera (and please not one of those cheapo standards). Same with Alembics. C'mon guys. These 2-3 brands have prices that double or triple most other expensive basses. The question of overpricing is legitimate. It's a bit like when you have to go Custom Shop to have a matching headstock from Fender. Really?

I've tried two Foderas and they were ok. My Sire M3 is fantastic. If I remember the price, I'm twice as happy. I've had (and still have) cheap and expensive. If Fodera is good for you, fine. You don't have to argue about best quality or high production cost.

Personally, if I had a Fodera and it had just one knob not turning precisely, one high fret or slightly loose screw, a hint of hum or any other minor niggle, I would be bitching.
[/quote]

Ah Flight of the Conchords - I loved that show.

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1458232586' post='3005853']
Ah Flight of the Conchords - I loved that show.
[/quote]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4zV4pJ8MwM[/media]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUAcN9UCnbU&ebc=ANyPxKqKgKtXdgKBmdzkeIiAv9Elgol_UHg3_eQlHmx1OuMa-WEN-fl4_Q1K3rspoAizGRAmrpJwujs_Q4GfmYw86dyIFp8DOg

Edited by Conan

[quote name='EmmettC' timestamp='1457388172' post='2998123']
Nice, that definitely suits the image of your band, I still haven't found a bass I like that visually suits my alter-ego in my industrial band Metaltech. If I could find a nice 5 string Iceman with a full size body.......
[/quote]
Pretty sure I NEARLY played a gig with you guys once. Can't remember who I was with at the time, could have been either Caustic or Be My Enemy.

I ordered a Monarch Standard Classic back in December - and just got an email from them that it is complete and ready to ship. I really hope it is as awesome as I hoped. I ended up selling 4 basses and a drumkit to fund it - but as I can only play one bass at once, it might as well be a nice one. As for whether it is worth it - hey you only live once so why not have some fun. People are happy to spend £4k on a car (or £40k or £400k), so why not on a bass? How many people bought a BMW when a Kia would have done 90% of the same things?

[quote name='OutSpoon' timestamp='1458376077' post='3006995']
I ordered a Monarch Standard Classic back in December - and just got an email from them that it is complete and ready to ship. I really hope it is as awesome as I hoped. I ended up selling 4 basses and a drumkit to fund it - but as I can only play one bass at once, it might as well be a nice one. As for whether it is worth it - hey you only live once so why not have some fun. People are happy to spend £4k on a car (or £40k or £400k), so why not on a bass? How many people bought a BMW when a Kia would have done 90% of the same things?
[/quote]

That's what I'd get if I was to order a fodera... What colour did you go for?

[quote name='OutSpoon' timestamp='1458409920' post='3007439']
Will totally post 1000x pictures. Just trying to figure how to get the baby home!
[/quote]

Looking forward to the pics and nbd thread :) be very interested in some audio clips if you get the chance. Fancy the sunburst myself...

[quote name='OutSpoon' timestamp='1458494658' post='3008041']
Any advice on getting an expensive bass into the country £efficiently? If someone was planning that. A friend of mine maybe?
[/quote]

If someone is brining it in on a plane, then offer a guitar shop in the UK some £'s for a blank receipt. You can then fill it in with the Fodera details and say to customs, if asked, that it was bought in the UK and you took it over there for a gig. Therefore the tax has already been paid.

Just don't ask me how I know this..... ;)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1415307854' post='2599154']
Umm, as a Fodera salesman, I should probably keep well clear of this thread :)

[/quote]
Ooh, so how do you become a Fodera salesman? Can anyone do it? Any jobs going? Go on - gissajob. :)

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1458588661' post='3008917']

Ooh, so how do you become a Fodera salesman? Can anyone do it? Any jobs going? Go on - gissajob. :)
[/quote]

Stage one is to move to another country :(

No UK Fodera retail options any more.

[quote name='OutSpoon' timestamp='1458498208' post='3008092']
Or is this just the cost of doing business and he should Do The Right Thing?
[/quote]

Be careful with a Fodera. You could, theoretically, get caught out on either side of the Atlantic if you don't have the correct paperwork.

The butterfly in the headstock requires official export papers signed by the US dept of agriculture and fisheries confirming that the abalone used has come from a verified and sustainable source.

If examined and you don't have these papers then it could be impounded and I'm not even sure you have a right to it back!

In terms of getting a UK receipt of purchase you'd need to find someone who's happy to say they sold a Fodera knowing that they aren't officially for sale in the UK (although there's obviously routes through European retailers).

[quote name='OutSpoon' timestamp='1458595849' post='3009016']
Thanks guys - solid advice. I'm working with their team at the moment on the best options to get my baby home!
[/quote]

They can sort all the paperwork for export. Costs about $125 (but you'll have to pay VAT on top) :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1458594104' post='3008991']
Stage one is to move to another country :(

No UK Fodera retail options any more.
[/quote] which is a bit rubbish. I was just looking on the bassgear website and saw they had gone. Only place i've ever picked one up (as in to try for a bit, not buy) was bass gear.
Though Thomann have them which seems a bit mental

Edited by LukeFRC

out of interest: if you loved the look of the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Monarch Standard Classic .... but the company didn't have a UK distributer so were off the list... what other companies basses would you look at? [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3](Q for Molan as much as anyone else) [/size][/font][/color]

Edited by LukeFRC

If the owner/purchaser wants to spend that sum of money, then they must believe it is worth that amount.

There is definitely a level of hype and marketing behind the value of them, but that applies to many items we buy, including instruments, cars, houses in certain areas of the country, etc. I fall for it, but I tend to accept I know I've fallen for it!

The only part I don't buy is the location/salary/healthcare. That is part of every business, and yes, it is great to see them treating their employees with such a positive approach, but that shouldn't really be part of any marketing or discussion with why they cost so much. Someone could equally turn round and say, well I can buy an NYC Sadowsky for less, is there any issue with how they treat employees? I seriously doubt it.

Just an observation. I wouldn't buy one even if I figured it was a sound investment for myself, purely because they don't fit into my typical tastes, but they clearly (and rightly so) have stellar quality overall.

If I had that cash 'spare', and wasn't saving for a house, then I'd invest it in a watch, and spent the rest on a nice Sadowsky/Overwater/Shuker or dream Fender (I have enough EBMM's for now!).

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1458639839' post='3009245']
If the owner/purchaser wants to spend that sum of money, then they must believe it is worth that amount.

There is definitely a level of hype and marketing behind the value of them, but that applies to many items we buy, including instruments, cars, houses in certain areas of the country, etc. I fall for it, but I tend to accept I know I've fallen for it!

The only part I don't buy is the location/salary/healthcare. That is part of every business, and yes, it is great to see them treating their employees with such a positive approach, but that shouldn't really be part of any marketing or discussion with why they cost so much. Someone could equally turn round and say, well I can buy an NYC Sadowsky for less, is there any issue with how they treat employees? I seriously doubt it.

Just an observation. I wouldn't buy one even if I figured it was a sound investment for myself, purely because they don't fit into my typical tastes, but they clearly (and rightly so) have stellar quality overall.

If I had that cash 'spare', and wasn't saving for a house, then I'd invest it in a watch, and spent the rest on a nice Sadowsky/Overwater/Shuker or dream Fender (I have enough EBMM's for now!).
[/quote]

Fodera do not use healthcare as a marketing point, it's just simply a fact that adds to a businesses overheads, and in America, supplying healthcare to its employees is not the norm and is not legally required.

It's also worth noting that a high-end Sadowsky are comparable to the Fodera 'standard' price range. A sadowsky Singlecut bass will set you back $5500, that's without any options and remember that's a bolt on. Once you start to take the extra construction types available at Fodera, most notably the work that goes into a through-neck singlecut (let alone the hybrid body type), i'd say the prices are on point.
Maybe you'd like a Skjold Estate Drakkar bass, made out of Warsaw, Ohio (where??).........$8000 or $9150 with chambered body.......bolt on, still not a neck through.

Si

Actually, an Elrick Master Series 4 string (neck-through) can be had for $8000, a 6er for $8,800, without options.
A 4 string neck-through (Elite) Fodera will set you back $8600 with no options (based on the 2016 price list), a 6er $10,175. So certainly the 4 strings are comparable in price.

For a bit of fun, I also just maxed out the Skjold quote form on the website and got to $11,490

Si