Why become a member? ×

Hair colour ranked ahead of musical ability?

molan

I have actually gone from light blonde to dark blonde/brown since playing bass. I somehow didn't feel rock n roll enough with the light blonde hair. I looked like Gloria Hunniford on bass, lol! :lol:

I know it's shallow, but I think if I look right I play better. Like a kid with new ballet shoes really. I've never grown out of that need to 'dress up'. :blush:

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1415276885' post='2598652']

I know it's shallow, but I think if I look right I play better. Like a kid with new ballet shoes really. I've never grown out of that need to 'dress up'. :blush:
[/quote]

Same story here. For me cool/trendy relevant threads is part of the fun of performing. I've invested a lot of $$$s in gear and gigging threads.

It get's back to whatever your own personal philosophy is. At the bar level, for me it's [i]"never look like the patrons , look like your in a rock band"[/i]. For some guys it doesn't matter. At some of the higher levels of gigging things change and it doesn't matter as much. Does anyone care what Eric Clapton wears to a gig, probably not. However, if I go see the Stones, I want to see some cool threads.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1415297806' post='2598986']
Does anyone care what Eric Clapton wears to a gig..?
[/quote]

I do - I find it very disappointing when he shows up looking like an accountant on dress-down Friday. Button-down collars?
He used to look like this, for God's sake!!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1415297806' post='2598986']
At the bar level, for me it's [i]"never look like the patrons , look like your in a rock band"[/i]. ... However, if I go see the Stones, I want to see some cool threads.

[/quote]

Interesting. For pub rock I tend to agree, and I try to stand out from the punters without being in any way extreme. For "cool" DB gigs I prefer to dress up a bit more and look like a performer.

At the higher levels though, there are plenty of bands who've made it big at least partly by dressing like their audience. Status Quo from about '71 onwards are possibly the perfect example, but then so was pretty much all of UK punk.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1415276994' post='2598655']
Careful, Jon - you live in Scotland........

G.
[/quote]

Indeed - and I blend in quite well until I open my gob! :lol:

Weirdly there are two ginger tossers in my band - & neither of us are Scottish.

J.