Why become a member? ×

Clean that rosewood fretboard

chrisanthony1211

OK, I've taken delivery of my beautiful old precision, however the fretboard is particularly gunky and looks like it hadn't been cleaned for 40 years, I intend to put some lemon oil on it once clean, but what's the best way to get the gunk off, I've read a few different things, steel wool, lighter fluid, soap and water, but thought I'd get some basschat advice before I give it a go.

Edited by chrisanthony1211

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1410002856' post='2545290']
I use spit (preferably mine), a J cloth and my thumb nail to de-gunk, then lemon oil. :)
[/quote]

Might have just given people a decent excuse for a discount should you sell on this forum!

I recently borrowed a jazz bass from a mate, it needs some tlc. The first job was to clean the fretboard. Used the back of a penknife blade as th gunk was dried and crusty. Then used an isopropyl alcohol wipe to get rid of the rest. Will give it some lemon oil when I can.

[quote name='chrisanthony1211' timestamp='1409999878' post='2545255']
Any love for lighter fluid?
[/quote]

Worked ok for Jimi Hendrix...

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1410076870' post='2545790']
Might have just given people a decent excuse for a discount should you sell on this forum!
[/quote]

Must be why my Aria Pro II Laser Classic isn't selling.

[quote name='planer' timestamp='1410077924' post='2545806']
In this instance however make sure you use a P cloth... ;)
[/quote]

Or P on a J cloth, which is more versatile.

Surprised no one's mentioned that famous James Jamerson quote yet.
On why he would clean his bass, but never the fingerboard:

"Because the gunk holds the funk" :)

I saw on talkbass once the method Roger Sadowsky uses, (which worked a treat for me too) and that is to use your usual domestic window cleaning spray, and a tooth brush which gets the grease and grime off lovely and then wipe it down with a clean damp cloth. Once dry, wipe a small amount of boiled linseed oil onto the rosewood (very small, best with a piece of kitchen towel) and wipe it off straight away, then buff with a clean cloth.

Makes even average looking rosewood look deep and stunning.

Edited by miles'tone

Gotta say I was really pleased with how it came up, it took about an hour and I couldn't believe how much crud was on it. I was particularly surprised how much gunk came out when I ran the edge of the stanly blade down the edge of the frets, finished off with really fine steel wool and lemon oil, it also brought those frets up nice and shinny too :-)
There are a few YouTube videos of this being done which are quite helpful.