Why become a member? ×

The 'Show us your Limelight!' thread

wateroftyne

I may bear the above in mind - being of a somewhat acidic nature I've already successfully 'eaten' one guitar bridge (Wilkinson VS100) and the replacement is so corroded it will never budge again! I'm definitely a 'fresh t-shirt at the interval' kinda guy!!!!

Yes, Jazzneck is right
You could always try just a few small dabs of WD40, on a cotton bud too
If you don't want to be taking the bridge on & off etc

That way, you'll keep the overall look /effect of rusty, pitted screws
and not have new shiny ones - if that offends your eye, or new screws look too new on a RW bass

Edited by Marc S

The WD40, as long as you don't wash it off completely, also acts as a barrier and prevents further rusting for a very long time.
I've done this to all my relics if the rust has gone too far (and to my Limelight).
The result has fooled some "vintage experts" completely as tarnished / pitted normally looks much more realistic than rusted.

Edited by Jazzneck

The saddles/screws on my L we're completely frozen - they couldn't be loosened at all and the screws eventually disintegrated. I replaced the saddles with some really really nice brass barrels from ebay - about £10. Fairly easy and quick and no impact on tone (but massive impact on adjustability)

[quote name='DaytonaRik' timestamp='1429806199' post='2755187']
All finished and should be with me next week. The brief was a replica of Phil's iconic maple boarded CSB era Precision, but worn to emulate how it would look today had Phil still been alive and playing - I don't think it's turned out so badly.

[attachment=190327:IMG_2569.jpg] [attachment=190328:IMG_2573.jpg] [attachment=190329:IMG_2572.jpg] [attachment=190330:IMG_2574.jpg]

A few others here

[font=Helvetica][size=3][url="https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#AC55Z2WMG9WQrP"]https://www.icloud.c...#AC55Z2WMG9WQrP[/url][/size][/font]
[/quote]
Rik, that looks fantastic! As others have noted, if Philip saw that, he would approve! :)

[quote name='Veils' timestamp='1429193575' post='2749059']
Sooooooooooo.........

60's jazz (stacked knobs), heavy relic, rosewood board with block inlays and bound neck.

As for colour, I've asked Mark to match the green from the Mexican flag (it's something like sherwood green), I've spotted an after market scratchplate which is the Mexican flag and it's also relic'd, so I'm going to try adding that when I get it. If it looks crappy, I'll stick with a white plate. Also matching headstock.
[/quote]

Interesting, last month I ordered something quite similar which also had the higher price (around £1200).

1966 Fender Jazz in Sherwood green with rosewood board & pearl blocks, matching headstock, butterbean tuners, light relic - BUT - it going to be a PJ, with vol/blend/tone, and an ashtray over the front P pickup, with a custom pearl jazz pickguard.

It was based on the Fender Adam Clayton model I really like the look of:

[quote name='Mike' timestamp='1430137971' post='2758252']
1966 Fender Jazz in Sherwood green with rosewood board & pearl blocks, matching headstock, butterbean tuners, light relic - BUT - it going to be a PJ, with vol/blend/tone, and an ashtray over the front P pickup, with a custom pearl jazz pickguard.
[/quote]

Sounds very interesting. Can't wait to see the pics. And I bet you can't wait to see the bass. ;)

Interesting, last month I ordered something quite similar which also had the higher price (around £1200).

[/quote]

That colour just works ;)

[/quote]

Interesting... Dreaming of a Sherwood Green P with matching headstock, rosewood board, light to medium relic with tort guard and a pair of Thunderbuckers...

after speaking to mark, ive got a bound and block relic'ed jazz bass neck in the pipeline, not traditionally correct as it will have the reverse style tuners, i plan on fixing it to a replica slab precision bass body i purchased from another basschatter to create the ultimate live workhorse

Oh man, that Sherwood Green P/J is going to be amazing......pics asap please :)

I'd definitely consider a P/J (Precision body not Jazz body) in the same colour, that would be stunning!

Si

[quote name='Kempy535' timestamp='1430464261' post='2761587']
Does anyone know what the bass are made out of and what electronics are in them? I cannot decide if going this way or ordering something from unfinished Warmoth and paining it myself is a better idea.
[/quote]

You can ask Mark to build a bass to your own personal spec
He's reputed to use only high quality components
Maybe drop him an email, and he'll let you know what the components are,
or specify your own, for a custom build

EDIT: I think the necks are licensed Allparts.....

I gather he winds his own pickups
I do know they have a great, vintage sound

Hmmm, a sherwood green P/J ..... dreams ;)

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1430474638' post='2761718']
I gather he winds his own pickups. I do know they have a great, vintage sound
[/quote]

Yes, his pickups sound (and look) 100% 'authentic' if you want to call it that... :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1430474785' post='2761723']
Yes, his pickups sound (and look) 100% 'authentic' if you want to call it that... :)
[/quote]He doesn't wind his own pickups, they are cheaply made and of far eastern origin. Not a great lot of winding's and a magnet glued to the bottom. That said, they do sound good, however I replaced mine with first, a SD 'Hot for P bass' which gave the Limelight some more low end and then finally a BK 65 split which just gave it a quality and richness it didn't have with the original pups.
In my opinion, I made a great bass better.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1430494225' post='2762047']
I've no idea where they were made, but the pickups in my '63 J sounded incredible - far better than any other J I've owned. And I've owned a lot...
[/quote]

Same with my Limelight Jazz. These things are subjective of course, but it had an incredible sound in my humble opinion.
Now [i]there's [/i]another bass I'd like to get back... hmm...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1430494225' post='2762047']
I've no idea where they were made, but the pickups in my '63 J sounded incredible - far better than any other J I've owned. And I've owned a lot...
[/quote]
Same as on my Limelight Precision from Mark - exactly the same comments as WOT.

Hahaha! I also love my Limelight P bass.

I was close to pull the trigger on this bad boy But now a friend of mine is having it :)
[URL=http://s113.photobucket.com/user/Houmann/media/Limelight%20P%20with%2066%20neck_zpsbslxjecz.jpg.html][IMG]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n216/Houmann/Limelight%20P%20with%2066%20neck_zpsbslxjecz.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Well, despite liberal application of WD40 and some level of patience, the seized bridge saddles would not free up which necessitated some action. A luthier friend of mine wanted to take a look at the relicing and installed me some nice brass saddles at the same time. Unfortunately one of the saddles couldn't be saved (in case I wanted to sell it complete at some point) - in his opinion the treatment had been applied while the saddles were assembled and he thought the screws had just rusted in the holes too badly. Never mind, no big loss, and the 'old' bird is now much more playable. A comparison of the saddles is shown in the pic.