Why become a member? ×

The 'Show us your Limelight!' thread

wateroftyne

[quote name='Christian Houmann' timestamp='1430678298' post='2763651']
Hahaha! I also love my Limelight P bass.

I was close to pull the trigger on this bad boy But now a friend of mine is having it :)
[url="http://s113.photobucket.com/user/Houmann/media/Limelight%20P%20with%2066%20neck_zpsbslxjecz.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

Mmmm, nice :)
Love the bound neck

I was close to pull the trigger on this bad boy But now a friend of mine is having it :)
[url="http://s113.photobucket.com/user/Houmann/media/Limelight%20P%20with%2066%20neck_zpsbslxjecz.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

Interesting, when I asked about a dot and bound necked Jazz he said he couldn't do it, maybe that's changed recently? or only available on a P.

[/quote]

Whoah.. when was that for sale? Lovely.

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1430757943' post='2764324']
A comparison of the saddles is shown in the pic.
[/quote]

I think for the look of the thing I probably would have replaced this bridge with an identical bridge that had threaded saddles - possibly even a new one - having 'aged' it somewhat beforehand, but not so much that it couldn't be adjusted. Though it's better to have function over form, obviously. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1430820839' post='2764788']
I think for the look of the thing I probably would have replaced this bridge with an identical bridge that had threaded saddles - possibly even a new one - having 'aged' it somewhat beforehand, but not so much that it couldn't be adjusted. Though it's better to have function over form, obviously. :)
[/quote]

The originals have been kept and I can always retrofit with some threaded saddles if required. But at the moment this is a gigging bass and needs must. Also ended up changing the pup screws and inserting new foam so that the pup height could be sorted; the height of the bridge pup was unadjustable and needed raising to balance the outputs of the 2 pups. Happy with it now and no slur on the builder is intended - just a case of function over form.

Yet more praise forthcoming type post.

I have far too many basses. No really, it's ridiculous and probably out of hand :lol:
Warwick Wal Status Musicman Acg a few Fenders. A couple of customs even. I enjoy using all of them, on and off. You know you have the ones you might pick up once or twice a week. Others maybe as many times in a year. Then there's the "favourites" , in my case a Warwick or two. Or so I thought.

This Limelight I have is definately becoming a contender. It's climbed onto my list kind of by accident due an ingrained long term P bass dis like. Which over time grew into dismissal. For years I wouldn't even entertain the thought of owning or playing one.
I bought mine in a bit of a rush. Not like the usual lengthy deliberation.
Something just looked right about it (I'm a bit of a heavy relic mug). Then when I played and heard the previous owner play it I was blown away. It's got one of [i] those [/i] tones that's been in my head for years but never came out of what I played ( P bass ignorance again )

Im almost at the point that it's become my go to, my damn I love the tone and feel of this thing bass. Every time I pick it up I end up losing hours of my life just noodling.

When I'm not using it I often think, why not sell it. It's a precision after all, and I really don't like them.
I've realised I'm afraid to.
That it would likely become one of those basses that leaves a huge regret filled hole.

I am now considering flogging pretty much everything else. Even the old guards I've owned 20 or 30 years!
Imagine the simplicity of owning just one bass! Not having to choose and fanny about, just pick up "the one" and play it.
Surely my playing would improve just getting totally engrossed in playing and not constantly tweaking or changing to try different tones, tunings, string spacing and strings! I do get used to different basses fairly quickly and easily but I imagine not doing this, and being a jack of all basses would improve technique on one specific instrument?

Blimey what a ramble :lol:

Edited by Dazed

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1430815364' post='2764713']
Interesting, when I asked about a dot and bound necked Jazz he said he couldn't do it, maybe that's changed recently? or only available on a P.
[/quote]

Here is what I got from Mark.[color=#444444][font=Calibri, sans-serif][size=4]
[size=3][i]We had to wait for some reverse tuners to come back into stock a while back and production was held up, so we made this one to fill in the time, as we had most of the parts in stock, including the neck.[/i][/size][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#444444][font=Calibri, sans-serif][size=4]
[size=3][i]We can get Blocks & Binding necks OK (usually this adds about £125 to the cost) but not the dots and binding - this neck was a lucky find.[/i][/size][/size][/font][/color]

I ask Mark about a 66 jazz with dots and binding many times the last year but his supplier don't makes those.

[quote name='Christian Houmann' timestamp='1430845389' post='2765146']

Here is what I got from Mark.[color=#444444][font=Calibri, sans-serif][size=4]
[size=3][i]We had to wait for some reverse tuners to come back into stock a while back and production was held up, so we made this one to fill in the time, as we had most of the parts in stock, including the neck.[/i][/size][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#444444][font=Calibri, sans-serif][size=4]
[size=3][i]We can get Blocks & Binding necks OK (usually this adds about £125 to the cost) but not the dots and binding - this neck was a lucky find.[/i][/size][/size][/font][/color]

I ask Mark about a 66 jazz with dots and binding many times the last year but his supplier don't makes those.
[/quote]

Marc told me he can do the blocks and binding but preferred to keep the cost under a grand. If you ask though and let him know that's what you want, then he's cool with it.

Does anyone know if Mark just sells bass bodies? Or just whole basses?
Have emailed him but apparently he's away until Saturday.....and I'm impatient ;).
If not I'll take a look at Warmoth

Chars
Si

Had mine for a couple of months now. It's taken me a bit to get used to the thicker vintage style neck and I still haven't quite got the action spot on, but it is a very lovely thing indeed and has had a fair few compliments on appearance already.

Andy

Looks stunning Andy
Cracking light level of relicing, discolouration, and that red / brown tort plate looks fab

When I made some enquiries, Mark did say he could put a more modern shape,
narrower neck on to either a P or a J bass
And I wanted the narrower neck personally....

I recently bought a US P, made in 2008
The neck on that is not as deep as a vintage P, nor quite as wide, I think
But it's slightly wider than my RW Jazz, and my Bitsa P....
and it does take a bit of getting used to - but I'm sure you will get comfy with it

I have said many times, that the 2 Limelights I've played have fab necks
They really feel "worn in" somehow - I don't know how Mark manages to get the look & feel of a vintage neck
But he does it superbly IMO

Lovely bass - enjoy
and thanks for sharing :)

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1431591932' post='2772811']
Nice Jazz, I think that's one of the lightest 'relics' I've seen on a Limelight. :)
[/quote]

Yes, I think it's the lightest Relic Limelight I've seen
I think it's quite subtle, and all the nicer for it

... mind you, Lemon Cello's highly distressed Purple P bass looks stunning too....

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1431592463' post='2772826']
... mind you, Lemon Cello's highly distressed Purple P bass looks stunning too....
[/quote]

It does, and my Stack-Knob 1960 Limelight Jazz was a heavy relic too. I'm negotiating to get that back, by the way... :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1431592575' post='2772827']
It does, and my Stack-Knob 1960 Limelight Jazz was a heavy relic too. I'm negotiating to get that back, by the way... :)
[/quote]

Ah, that feeling of "wish I'd never sold that!"
Good luck with that discreet
..... and if you do get it back - don't let it out of your grasp again! ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1431591932' post='2772811']
Nice Jazz, I think that's one of the lightest 'relics' I've seen on a Limelight. :)
[/quote]

I was surprised how light it was too. Looking at all the pics on here I was expecting it to be more beaten up and I was initially a bit disappointed that it wasn't,but it's really grown on me the more I use it.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1431596760' post='2772891']

I certainly won't. Just had some correspondence... it may be much sooner than I thought... :ph34r:
[/quote]

Only bloody just! :lol: you very nearly lost it ;)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Christian Houmann' timestamp='1432412926' post='2781287']
Two Limelight P's in the house :)

[url="http://s113.photobucket.com/user/Houmann/media/IMG_6879_zpsukji5csg.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

Now you're just flaunting them
.... waving temptation under our noses! :o

Lovely, just lovely
You lucky, lucky, lucky b********! ;)

[quote name='Christian Houmann' timestamp='1432412926' post='2781287']
Two Limelight P's in the house :)

[url="http://s113.photobucket.com/user/Houmann/media/IMG_6879_zpsukji5csg.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

Very nice of course, but I can't help wondering... why? Is one for back-up purposes..? :)