Why become a member? ×

Smoke/Fog Machines in pubs

redbandit599

Hi all

After something of a long lay-off, I seem to be getting closer back to gigging locally again (just need the singer to have her baby first....)

So am starting to review all our old gigging gear. What's the score these days with smoke/fog machines in pubs? We used to use one pre-smoking ban, but I'm wondering how landlords and punters react these days?

If any of you are using one, be good to have a recommendation for odourless liquid, the stuff we used to have was supposedly 'rose' scented. Bloody horrible, singer hated it too so anything that doesn't kill singers would be good too!

Cheers

J

I supposed things have moved on technically now. Back on the '90s for a birthday gig, we bought some ice from a place in Greenwich .
Apparently, it was dangerous to touch .
We borrowed a tea urn from the office and mixed the ice in it .
Unfortunately , despite mr. Guitar burning his foot during the process of setting bit all up, we were not allowed to use it .
Looked great in the office tho'

Oh yes, I have many amusing tales of smoke machine abuse.

Including the legendary 'Invisible Band' video, recreating scenes from 'The Fog' with a wall of smoke falling out from behind a stage curtain, a guitarist falling half off the stage because he couldn't see the edge, Gassing Grannies at the drummers wedding reception. I could go on. That's what comes from letting the drummer control the thing though.....

Think (hope!) we'd be a little more subtle these days and just use it for a bit of haze to enhance the lights.

Edited by redbandit599

As far as I know its allowed but down to pubs discretion. Some pubs we play at like us to use them and others don't. We actually use a hazer which gives a finer mist and I personally think since the birth of LED spotlights they look better than ever due to the pencil beams given off by the LEDs. We have three spots on a T bar pointing at us and then a moving head DJ type thing on the end of the bar to point out into the audience if needed. This light especially works well with the Hazer

Many years ago I worked in the service department of a sound and lighting company.

We had a LeMaitre smoke machine bought in for repair.
The LeMaitre machines used a compressed can of smoke fluid that screwed onto the machine.
Using compressed smoke fluid, these things were quite powerful and only needed a 5 second press of the release valve to create a room full of smoke.

I replaced the element, attached a canister and switched it on to heat up.
The thermostat neon lit up and I jabbed the release valve to check all was well.

The release valve stuck.

Within seconds the room was full of smoke and, being summertime, the door to the street was open.
I tried to unscrew the canister, but it was jammed (I later discovered the O ring had perished and slipped into the thread).
Working on a compressed canister, even unplugging it from the mains doesn't stop one of those monsters.

The emergency services were wonderful though - police, fire and ambulance were there within minutes as it was obviously a major fire... :blush:

We have a smoke machine and a mist machine as well. We never seem to use them as just about everywhere we go (pubs, social clubs, wedding venues), we are told not to use them because of smoke detectors setting off fire alarms. Even though our smoke machine has never done this and the mist machine should be even less likely to, the vast majority of venues simply say 'no'. We've invested hundreds of pounds in a fantastic laser that is now pointless without smoke. Our back lights don't look as effective.

Only one pub used to let us but they go around the place putting plastic covers on the smoke detectors and can't be bothered to do that any more.

We stopped bringing out the smoke machine and laser. Shame really.

we use one at most gigs, we don't tell them we've got one so unless they ask us and tell us not to use it we use it, the drummers OIC (officer in charge) of the smoke machine and he seems to make it a crusade to set off the pubs smoke alarm much to the amusement of the crowd, usually.

Edited by PaulWarning

The smoking ban only relates to lit tobacco, so don't use tobacco in your smoke machine.

Smoke machines don't set off alarms unless you use an extreme amount in a confined space.
If you use a decent fluid, they have no smell or have any effect on people other than visual, though if the fluid has glycol in it, then it could affect some people with asthma.
Fog or mist machines are usually the safest option.

If a venue asks you not to use one & you really want to, then ask them the reasons why not. Google is your friend when it comes to finding out more.
It's then down to which kind of smoke/fog/mist you make & what you use.

Cheers all, sounds like it might be worth firing the thing up and testing it out again. If only for the odd gig where we can use it. Bit of fog or haze does add a bit to the atmosphere I think, or maybe it'll just improve my looks by putting me in 'soft focus.'

Any particular brand of 'fog juice' that you guys recommend? I note Nige's comments re glycol and asthma, wouldn't want to set that off for someone. I suspect something a bit thinner than the Dragons Breath effect we used to go for would be a good starting point.

Had the police turn up three times at gigs, but not the Fire Brigade so far. Not particularly anxious to change those stats!

As stated above, depends on whether or not you have the lightshow to warrant using 'smoke' or similar. If you want to accentuate lasers/LED/Par cans and maximise their effect a hazer is the way to go IMO. The mere fact you can 'fool' the average landlord or club committee when they see the small black box chuffing at the back of the stage by telling them it's not a smoke machine but a hazer is a big plus point :lol:

[size=4]If you have a DMX controlled hazer they have both an output (to control the amount of mist) and a fan (to control the speed it is propelled from the machine)[/size]

[size=4]We found we could set these two functions so that a constant but minimum visible haze was always coming from the hazer. By setting the hazer off one minute before going onstage we ensured there was never a big whoosh of white smoke that usually results in complaints, but the lightshow would still cut through the almost [/size]invisible[size=4] [/size][size=4]haze without anyone really noticing it was coming from the hazer at the back [/size] B)
[size=4] [/size]
[size=4] [/size]

Played with one at a battle of the bands in Wolverhampton. Couldn't see another band member or anyone else for a few songs! Was so bloody thick I was scared to move for fear of falling off the stage. It was worth it in the end though, we finished joint last...