Why become a member? ×

to finger or not

christhammer666

The more techniques you can put in your bag of tricks, the better I reckon. Victor Wooten's idea of 'when I'm learning a new technique, I practise everything I've ever played, using it' (paraphrased!) springs to mind also, as a good tip if you do want to try and get to grips with the fingers!

I have always played with a pick but, for one of my bands, it isn't necessarily the most appropriate sound. I've spent the last year playing increasingly with fingers and it has improved to the point where I am happy with the standard a lot of the time and can get away with it when necessary. I still can't play fast stuff consistently enough with fingers so have to revert to using a pick for that.

But overall I still play better - more accurately, better timing and control - with a pick. I think it is worth getting the skill to play finger style, though, so go for it.

Edited by Paul S

I'm another one who started finger style and never learned pick. I gave it a go with a pick today and I was a bit crap. I found it difficult to believe that it's easier to play fast etc. I reckon I'll stick to fingers for now, but attempt to learn pick for when it's needed tonally.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1407308678' post='2519258']
Why just be a one trick pony?? - learn as many styles and techniques as you can...
[/quote]

This. i`m predominantly a pick player but over the last couple of years I`ve started to play fingerstyle as well. Doesn`t suit any of the bands I`ve been in, but it increases my ability and that`s what I want from it.

I've never been able to play with a pick, but my nails are tough, and on the songs that a pick would be best for, I pretend to hold a pick, finger shape wise and use my nail, with my thumb pressing firmly against the side of my first finger. I can't imagine not being able to use my fingers, the variety of different things you can do with them, I'd really miss.

I'm finger style too.
Even when I played thrash metal I was always a finger style player, i am useless with a plectrum. If I was to give advice I would try to learn both as there would be always more options to having both styles down.

Definitely try fingerstyle just to see whether you enjoy it but also, since it'll be a new technique to master, solo practice will become more interesting. I used a pick when I first started out on bass but when I came back to playing the other year I've been playing exclusively fingerstyle.

There are just some things that are impossible to play convincingly with a plectrum...they just don't work,
and by the same notion something are harder to work with fingers..and you'd be far better off
with a pick.
Which way you go, depends on what you listen to, and gravitate to, and how long you
are going to be majorly influenced by ceratin players/styles.

I grew out of harder rock and knew that fingers were the way to go for me so I swapped over eons ago.
but if people still listen to that type of music, then they will be better off down that route with a plectrum.

I play, predominantly, with a pick. It's probably due to the fact that I made the switch to bass while I was in a punk band so learned to play with a pick.

I have always made sure that I can play the bass lines to all of the songs in the set with my fingers though as I'm not necessarily going to be close to the mic stand (pick clip) when I inevitably drop my pick mid song.

As has been highlighted up thread; the more weapons you have in your arsenal, the more likely you are to win the battle.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1407308678' post='2519258']
Why just be a one trick pony?? - learn as many styles and techniques as you can...
[/quote]

Absolutely this. I started out as a pick player before moving on to finger style fairly early on. I also use the 60s thumb plucking style (not slap) occasionally. This way you can do whatever suits the song.