Why become a member? ×

Favourite female bassists.... Go!

Pixiechick23

[quote name='tonyxtiger' timestamp='1407175539' post='2518087']

I also think flea is awful but I'm ready for lots of people to correct me on that one.
[/quote]

Nope, totally with you there!

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1407182621' post='2518183']
What about some Hawkwind or Marillion? (Spoken in the voice of Neal from the Young Ones)
[/quote]

So Lemmy's a dame? That explains a great deal.......

NB: am I the only one to have never heard of the Pixies?

[quote name='Pixiechick23' timestamp='1407226074' post='2518424']

This! ^^^
Guys, I asked who your fav female bass players were, not who you think plays bass better than who. Whether you like the simplicity [simple doesn't necessarily mean bad, regardless of what some may think] of Kim, or insane technical ability of someone who plays at crazy speed is irrelevant to this post. It was a simple enough question.
[/quote]

Amen to that! :-)

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1407111329' post='2517498']
Sean Yseult from White Zombie.

She blew me away with her style.....and may I say fwoor indeed.
[/quote]

I'd just come in to add Sean, always had a great tone and her look really worked for the band.

Black Sunshine linked below, her bass kicks in at around 30 seconds for those that don't know the track and I love that tone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqPClltS5k8

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1407217046' post='2518374']
Ah Douglas, you are such a sweetheart xxx

Although, I am not with those guys anymore.

Steph (backing vocals) and I have formed another Floyd band.

[IMG]http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af313/phillipwjones/Welsh%20Floyd/2014-08-0219-55-48_zpsa188e2cc.jpg[/IMG]

Pic from our first gig at a Harley festival on Sat.

Www.welshfloyd.com :D
[/quote]
A Welsh Floyd band? Shouldn't you be called "One Of These Dai's"..? ;)

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1406876946' post='2515450']
Grog and she is gorgeous too boot she plays with lots of artist such a Kylie and Danni Minouge this is her own band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PJdHzwOTAA
[/quote]

That is a corking rock groove! And a great singer to boot. Thanks for sharing!

Yolanda Charles my personal fave - attended a masterclass she gave at Tech Music Schools (when it was still in Acton!) when she had just started up her band the Deep MO - fantastic player, great singer. Loved all her playing with Paul Weller too.

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

Jennifer Finch. No idea if she was a great player, but as a grungy punk type band, i doubt she was up the top of the tree. I liked her sound though. The bass drove the songs along.
Good link for the Adverts. Haven`t heard that in many a year

Edited by timmo

[quote name='Pixiechick23' timestamp='1407226074' post='2518424']
This! ^^^
Guys, I asked who your fav female bass players were, not who you think plays bass better than who. Whether you like the simplicity [simple doesn't necessarily mean bad, regardless of what some may think] of Kim, or insane technical ability of someone who plays at crazy speed is irrelevant to this post. It was a simple enough question.
[/quote]

I merely wished to make the point that, isn't it interesting that most people obviously have very different criteria for who would be their favourite female bass player than for who would be their preferred male one ? That is all, and surely that observation is germane to the point of this thread. :)

And just let me clarify, the opposition is not between people who play simply and those who have " insane technical ability". It is between those who play badly and those who play well. That is not at all the same thing, and it is very wrong to make that assumption.

Besides which, what's wrong with bickering ? Lets face it , without it , Basschat would be pretty slim pickings. You should have been here when we had it out about whether Stingrays are better than P Basses or whether roundwound strings are better than flatwounds ( they are). :D

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1407264359' post='2519003']
Here you go..

[media]http://youtu.be/sqPClltS5k8[/media]

:)
[/quote]

Haven't heard that for years. Had great memories of headbanging to this back in the day but suffered irreparable brain damage so the memories are gone. I'm sure they were nice.

Edited by Sharkfinger

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1407336397' post='2519564']
I merely wished to make the point that, isn't it interesting that most people obviously have very different criteria for who would be their favourite female bass player than for who would be their preferred male one ?
[/quote]"Most" people? How do you know? "Obviously"? How do you work that out?
I'm willing to bet that anyone who lists Kim Deal or Gaye Advert as their favourite female bassist isn't going to be answering with "Marcus" or "Ox" when asked for their preferred male player.

Edited by UglyDog

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1407361283' post='2519891']
"Most" people? How do you know? "Obviously"? How do you work that out?
I'm willing to bet that anyone who lists Kim Deal or Gaye Advert as their favourite female bassist isn't going to be answering with "Marcus" or "Ox" when asked for their preferred male player.
[/quote]

I would say,judging from the comments on this thread so far that, reading between the lines, it is fair to say that most people do use different criteria for judging male and female bass players and assessing who is their favourite, whether they realize it or not . But if it sits easier with you, I would gladly change that assertion to " [i]many [/i]people have different criteria for assessing male and female bass players". I would still be making the same point.

And who said that people who champion inept female bass players would choose technically adept male counterparts as their favoured choices ? You are jumping to conclusions there . They may well choose similarly inept male players , but for different reasons than the female ones they claim to enjoy .

For me it's got to be Suzi, but then I was in my early teens when she hit the charts so I thought she was (is) ace.
She can still fit in the same stage gear all these year's later apparently ( or so I read in a magazine interview)

Must admit my knowledge of women bass players has widened by about 500% reading this thread so will be checking out some of the names mentioned.

[quote name='ricksterphil' timestamp='1407363345' post='2519908']...
Must admit my knowledge of women bass players has widened by about 500% reading this thread so will be checking out some of the names mentioned.
[/quote]

Ditto, which, imo, largely justifies the existence of the topic and its contents. Must go; I've some listening and self-education to do.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1407336397' post='2519564']
I merely wished to make the point that, isn't it interesting that most people obviously have very different criteria for who would be their favourite female bass player than for who would be their preferred male one ? That is all, and surely that observation is germane to the point of this thread. :)

And just let me clarify, the opposition is not between people who play simply and those who have " insane technical ability". It is between those who play badly and those who play well. That is not at all the same thing, and it is very wrong to make that assumption.

Besides which, what's wrong with bickering ? Lets face it , without it , Basschat would be pretty slim pickings. You should have been here when we had it out about whether Stingrays are better than P Basses or whether roundwound strings are better than flatwounds ( they are). :D
[/quote]

I don't think playing simply means playing badly at all, a lot of people get that mixed up. But I just wanted to know personal opinions, not who was better than who.

But fair play to you, it's spiced up the thread a little :) [have no idea on the Stingray vs P, never played em... Only ever used roundwound too so I can't say on that either! lol]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1407367342' post='2519953']
Ditto, which, imo, largely justifies the existence of the topic and its contents. Must go; I've some listening and self-education to do.
[/quote] This. I may have known a few female bass players but not as many as I do now. Hurrah for thread usefulness.

Side note and sadly I can only find her playing one simple riff but when looking for a bass book for beginners [prefer using books, dunno why] I came across a woman named Sharon Ray... The riff was annoying after a while cause it's the only one I could find on bloody youtube but she's pretty cool.

[quote name='ricksterphil' timestamp='1407363345' post='2519908']
[/quote]

Yes, me too. It's nice to be made aware of players that are interesting for one reason or another.
Obviously one then makes up ones own mind about whether or not one thinks they are inept. (Crikey, I've just turned into the Queen!)
Although as a relative beginner, pretty well everyone sounds 'ept' to me. :lol: