Why become a member? ×

Favourite female bassists.... Go!

Pixiechick23

[quote name='Pixiechick23' timestamp='1407398589' post='2520040']
I don't think playing simply means playing badly at all, a lot of people get that mixed up. But I just wanted to know personal opinions, not who was better than who.

But fair play to you, it's spiced up the thread a little :) [have no idea on the Stingray vs P, never played em... Only ever used roundwound too so I can't say on that either! lol]
[/quote]

I certainly don't want to sound pompous about it. I am truly glad that people enjoy these players for whatever reason, regardless of ability, but I just don't see how the absence of ability can automatically be a virtue in any situation . Going along those lines, why not go the whole hog and not play at all? Wouldn't that be even better ? It's just that I am passionate about women's issues and it upsets me when I see any woman , bass player or not, being rated purely as a sexual object. ( Unless the woman in question is unbelievably pert, nubile and dressed completely in skintight leather[i] a la[/i] Suzi Quatro, in which case they are fair game :) . )

To be fair though, there are male bass players who garner the same kind of overtly sexual hysteria from female Basschatters. The unbelievably hunky Dave Ellefson of Megadeath immediately springs to mind. Despite his advancing years and poorly-disguised hair loss, Dave's formidable picking technique has won him legions of devoted female followers. No wonder he spends his time travelling the world going from trade show to bass players convention , picking up more women admirers wherever he goes. It must be great to be Dave.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1407426012' post='2520438']...Bass playing is a mans job...
[/quote]

Perfectly outrageous..! This, in my opinion, should be a punishable offence, right up there with heresy and treason..! The absence of the possessive apostrophe is a flagrant travesty of the English language. Shame on you..!

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1407422795' post='2520365']
To be fair though, there are male bass players who garner the same kind of overtly sexual hysteria from female Basschatters. The unbelievably hunky Dave Ellefson of Megadeath immediately springs to mind. Despite his advancing years and poorly-disguised hair loss, Dave's formidable picking technique has won him legions of devoted female followers.
[/quote]

Again with David Ellefson and his hair (or lack thereof) ! :lol:

Perhaps we should start a thread on 'hottest bass players of any and all genders'. But I think the moderators would probably implode.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1407413308' post='2520227']
Wow, really..? Then YOU are now my favourite female bassist, Shell! *Gets red carpet out and paints everything white*
[/quote]

I shall in fact be playing Her Maj in an Alan Bennett play next year. But details of that are for another thread nearer the time.... :ph34r:

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1407430695' post='2520515']
Perhaps we should start a thread on 'hottest bass players of any and all genders'. But I think the moderators would probably implode.
[/quote]

Yes we could seriously do without that.

Unless I'm a contender of course. :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1407435583' post='2520570']
Im not sure how to break this to you?...... :lol:
[/quote]

Hang on a minute, aren't you the fella that claims to never have heard of Carole Kaye, Gail Ann Dorsey et al , but can work out from the fact that I have heard of them that I can't play bass very well ? That is quite a skill to have, Pete. In light of that gift , I should have known better than to think I could hide my conceited self-importance from you. ( It's hard to hide it from anybody, to be honest with you. I am quite important. You'll just have to deal with that :) .)

Edited by Dingus

Nope not me, you have altered what I said to suit yourself ;) I never mentioned carol kaye etc I know who they are.

You are still struggling to see that just because you dont like a player it makes them a bad player, it only makes them bad to you! I dont like Jaco's music, does that make him a bad player?

You are also struggling with "favourite female player" and "which female player has the best chops" ;)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1407176926' post='2518099']
I haven't heard of half of the players Dingus is spouting about but I know every player I met with similar views against anyone they didn't enjoy listening too was a terrible player themselves, not in their own opinion obviously, just sayin' ;)
[/quote]
[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1407438776' post='2520614']
Nope not me, you have altered what I said to suit yourself ;) I never mentioned carol kaye etc I know who they are.

You are still struggling to see that just because you dont like a player it makes them a bad player, it only makes them bad to you! I dont like Jaco's music, does that make him a bad player?

You are also struggling with "favourite female player" and "which female player has the best chops" ;)
[/quote]

I mentioned Carole Kaye and that was your response. I am not vexed about it and am not falling out with you over it Pete - you may be sincere in that belief - but that is the inference I would take from your earlier post.

Why is it that you think it is so inappropriate to discuss the kind of players people are highlighting as their favourites? It seems like fair comment to me. And I have never mentioned chops. None of the players I have championed are particularly choppy players, except for maybe Julie Slick , to some extent. Some of them can be busy players when called for , but chops isn't what they are about . They are, however, all highly competent and accomplished bass players with remarkable individual styles.

The only thing that would make Jaco a bad player would be him playing badly. Some things are not just a matter of opinion, you are quite right. Whether you like his music is subjective. Whether he is any good or not is objective. Objectively, some bass players are not very good because they can't play well, . You may choose to enjoy those players regardless. Good for you. :)

Hey guys and gals, what about Tia Carrere?

Not sure who she is..........well playmates I shall enlighten you

She is the actress (sic) who played the bass player that Wayne drooled over in Wayne's World

I think her ability on the bass was only surpassed by her acting!!

Ok I'm kidding

NOT!

[quote name='The fasting showman' timestamp='1406879270' post='2515474']
Kim Annette Clarke, Defunkt (great Stingray sound on 'Thermonuclear sweat')
Tracy Wormwoth, The Waitresses
[/quote]

+1 for Kim Clarke.....she and Bernard Edwards are a big part of the reasons I bought my natural Stingray (in avatar) back in the day.

I'm a great fan of Tal Walkenfield, Gail Ann Dorsey, Ellen O'Reilly and Suzi Quattro.

Having watched and listened to the footage of Tal with Jeff Beck and Vinnie Coliuta, I watched her play on Chamelion with Herbie Hancock - talk about groove!! I have tried to learn from it and there are some nice ideas there :-)