Why become a member? ×

Favourite female bassists.... Go!

Pixiechick23

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1407176926' post='2518099']
I haven't heard of half of the players Dingus is spouting about but I know every player I met with similar views against anyone they didn't enjoy listening too was a terrible player themselves, not in their own opinion obviously, just sayin' ;)
[/quote]
[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1407177272' post='2518101']
Dingus has been possessed by Inti Mahesh! :lol: £5 coming my way?
[/quote]

I thought Inti was O.K. You clown whores never gave him a fair chance because he didn't speak English as his first language and couldn't resist the chance to bully him off Basschat . He was a good bass player too, judging by his YT videos. I'm not that bad a player myself either, Pete. ;)

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1407179000' post='2518126']
The Pixies are bloody awful in their own right, regardless of my superiority ( thanks for acknowledging that, by the way, your humility is a lesson to me ) . I couldn't care less what music you like or don't. You can listen to Run Rig as far as I am concerned but just because you like something, it doesn't make it good.
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You're doing a great impression of someone that doesn't care. :rolleyes:

Most teenagers have a more mature attitude towards music they don't like than the one you're displaying here. I'm actually embarrassed on your behalf reading back some of your posts in this thread :blush:

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1407179487' post='2518133']

I thought Inti was O.K. You clown whores never gave him a fair chance because he didn't speak English as his first language and couldn't resist the chance to bully him off Basschat . He was a good bass player too, judging by his YT videos. I'm not that bad a player myself either, Pete. ;)
[/quote]

Thats where you and him differ from me then, I dont judge on good or bad playing really as I prefer enjoy or didnt enjoy. I dont enjoy Mark King's music but he is a good proficient player, just doesnt get me going like a nice simple Kris Novoselic bass line for example.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1407180639' post='2518143']
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You're doing a great impression of someone that doesn't care. :rolleyes:

Most teenagers have a more mature attitude towards music they don't like than the one you're displaying here. I'm actually embarrassed on your behalf reading back some of your posts in this thread :blush:
[/quote]

Wow. With hindsight, I should have realized that my clumsy attempts to be clever and show off would fall flat on their face, especially in the face of the rapier-like wit and searing intelligence that which you obviously possess in abundance. Thanks for putting me firmly in my place. It will be a long time before I can show my face round here again after being the victim of that kind of cutting invective. You've made me look a right prat now. I don't know where to put myself. Then again, looking on the positive side of things, I might feel embarrassed now, but I know that in the longer-term I will thank you for the valuable life lesson you have just taught me. From now on I will look on you as a father figure and seek your council on anything I might want to say before shooting my mouth off with my silly "opinions".

Maybe I have got some kind of undiagnosed medical condition like CIMDD ( Crap Indie Music Deficit Disorder)? More likely though, I just don't have your innate good taste and discernment when it comes to music. Is it a gift you were born with , or something you have learned through experience? :)

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1407182621' post='2518183']
What about some Hawkwind or Marillion? (Spoken in the voice of Neal from the Young Ones)
[/quote]

Was that chap in Marillion actually a woman? Well , they kept that quiet!

Gail Ann Dorsey is indeed a great player , and a terrific singer too ( excellent musician all-round, in fact) . This has been posted before , but is worth posting again on this thread:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fsply_AyrU[/media]

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1407174565' post='2518069']
The Pixes have neither musical ability or songwriting skills.[/quote]In your opinion.[quote]It's just another average indie band making a racket.[/quote]In your opinion.[quote]The rest is sophistry.[/quote]In your opinion.[quote]They are a one-song band [/quote]In your opinion.[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1407179000' post='2518126']
just because you like something, it doesn't make it good.
[/quote]Just because you don't like something, it doesn't make it bad.

Edited by UglyDog

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1407170267' post='2518021']
I want [i]less [/i]players inspired by Kim Deal and her ilk, not more.
[/quote]
Actually what you really want is [i]fewer[/i] players inspired by Kim...

Sorry if that's construed as bickering. I see it as education. Having read all this I'd hate to think what Dingus thinks of the player I nominated in an earlier post - she makes KD sound like Jaco. :)

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1407186202' post='2518239']

Sorry if that's construed as bickering. I see it as education. Having read all this I'd hate to think what Dingus thinks of the player I nominated in an earlier post - she makes KD sound like Jaco. :)
[/quote]
It doesnt matter, the op wanted to know your "favourite" female bass players were.

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1407185066' post='2518214']
In your opinion.In your opinion.In your opinion.In your opinion.Just because you don't like something, it doesn't make it bad.
FWIW I really really don't like the Pixies' music either. The difference is that I don't apparently consider myself as some sort of arbiter of what is/isn't *good*.
[/quote]

My friend , I seem to remember that we we have had this conversation before. But at the risk of repeating myself, it an established rhetorical convention that all contentious statements are an "opinion". The whole point is that you are stating an opinion. You can take that as a given. Saying " in my opinion" is not really necessary . The fact that an individual is making a statement on a contentious issue means that that statement is implicitly an opinion. Putting "in my opinion" afterwards is usually not appropriate specifically for that reason. That is an established rhetorical convention of the English language, and not of my making.

Talking of women bass players, does anybody else remember this one from way back when :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvIydHPhb98

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1407186202' post='2518239']

[/quote]

I went to rough inner city comprehensive. We didn't do that whole less/fewer thing, probably because the teachers didn't know the difference. Evidently, I still don't know the difference. Besides which, if there can be more bass players, there can be less, hence the saying " more or less", even if it means one bass player is reduced in stature by some surgical means or another . And if that means we end up with fewer then job done, in my opinion :) .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1407186677' post='2518252']
2+3 is 6 then, imo obviously, maths experts might disagree. 51 P basses were released in 1948, WW2 began in 1764 and they had lazer guns....
[/quote]

Have you been on the Slim Fast again , Pete ?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1407186183' post='2518238']
My favourite female bassist...

http://youtu.be/vFPXI_xaSWM
[/quote]

Ah Douglas, you are such a sweetheart xxx

Although, I am not with those guys anymore.

Steph (backing vocals) and I have formed another Floyd band.

[IMG]http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af313/phillipwjones/Welsh%20Floyd/2014-08-0219-55-48_zpsa188e2cc.jpg[/IMG]

Pic from our first gig at a Harley festival on Sat.

Www.welshfloyd.com :D

Edited by SpaceChick

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1407185489' post='2518221']
Can folk stop this petty bickering? Back on topic please
[/quote]
This! ^^^
Guys, I asked who your fav female bass players were, not who you think plays bass better than who. Whether you like the simplicity [simple doesn't necessarily mean bad, regardless of what some may think] of Kim, or insane technical ability of someone who plays at crazy speed is irrelevant to this post. It was a simple enough question.