Why become a member? ×

Favourite female bassists.... Go!

Pixiechick23

Ok, so this thread is about people's favourite female bassists.
I've heard the name Paz mentioned a lot here, so I thought I'd check her out.

I see now.

Disclaimer... This vid does not contain any virtuoso bass playing at all.

It does contain:

A beautiful woman,
A beach,
A really snarly sounding vintage P bass.

These are my favourite things period :)

Surely it's ok if guys fancy girl musicians? Apologies to those who may be offended by such a crazy notion ;)
(Anyway, all I here about from my missus is bloody Ricky from the Kaiser Chiefs... I know!)

THE ENTRANCE BAND on the Beach (Part III) @ Duna …: http://youtu.be/jS5ZkvZyTM4

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1407161393' post='2517888']
... Enjoy whatever you please and if you like her music then good for you , but don't try and tell me that Kim Deal is a great and inspirational bass player, because she has forged a terrific career out of being a lousy bass player. That is her most notable achievement . She and others like her are music personalities rather than a skilled musicians.

[/quote]

To be fair, I don't think Kim Deal has EVER said she was a Virtuoso Bass player. In fact-and I'm sure it's on YouTube somewhere-she's even on record on a BBC documentary series called "The Seven Ages of Rock" where she flat out states she's not and never will be a "real" bass player!

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1407165690' post='2517956']

Maybe not virtuoso, but that's some very solid bass playing, and her tone is to die for!
[/quote]

Oh yeah, she's really solid. I think she's a great bassist which to be honest is more of an inspiration to me in my world than a lot of the virtuoso crowd are (regardless of gender).
Corkin' old P bass too! :)

[quote name='indiegrungesound' timestamp='1407167259' post='2517978']
To be fair, I don't think Kim Deal has EVER said she was a Virtuoso Bass player. In fact-and I'm sure it's on YouTube somewhere-she's even on record on a BBC documentary series called "The Seven Ages of Rock" where she flat out states she's not and never will be a "real" bass player!
[/quote]

Yes, exactly right . She has based her career on her limitations, and good luck to her.

I know this thread is about people's favourite female bass players, and like I have already stated , if people enjoy anybodies playing, regardless of ability, or feel inspired by their playing for whatever reason then that is a wonderful thing, but it is implicit in certain posts that some of the individuals concerned are accomplished players, when in fact, objectively, they are not.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1407161393' post='2517888']

There are, of course, lots of highly accomplished women bassists - Carole Kaye, Gail Ann Dorsey, Kim Clarke, Me'Sell, Julie Slick and Esperanza Spalding , to name but a few, are all brilliant players who I admire and enjoy . But a lot of the other names being touted here are not good bass players . In fact, some of them are bloody awful. It would be extremely patronizing to pretend otherwise because they are women . Whatever appeals to folks about them, it is not the musicality of their bass playing. Enjoy whatever you please and if you like her music then good for you , but don't try and tell me that Kim Deal is a great and[b] inspirational [/b]bass player, because she has forged a terrific career out of being a lousy bass player. That is her most notable achievement . She and others like her are music personalities rather than a skilled musicians.[/quote]

I absolutely guarantee you that Kim Deal has inspired far more people to take up bass than at least five of the other bassists you name.

The thread is "favourite" female bassist. Not "best" female bassist. If you asked me to name my favourite male bass players I doubt any of the names I'd mention would blow anyone away with technical ability. However, for many of us the single most important aspect of musicality is songwriting. Having chops is brilliant but for me writing killer songs is where its at. Kim Deal may well be a "lousy" bass player but hundreds of thousands of people (if not millions) could sing you the bassline to dozens of Pixies songs. Lines don't have to be technically difficult to be brilliant.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1407169027' post='2518004']
I absolutely guarantee you that Kim Deal has inspired far more people to take up bass than at least five of the other bassists you name.

[/quote]

Why is that a good thing? Why should I celebrate or be thankful for that? Why do you see that as some kind of vindication for Kim Deal's lack of ability? Does the world really need more inept bass players? I want [i]less [/i]players inspired by Kim Deal and her ilk, not more.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1407170267' post='2518021']

Why is that a good thing? Why should I celebrate or be thankful for that? Why do you see that as some kind of vindication for Kim Deal's lack of ability? Does the world really need more inept bass players? I want [i]less [/i]players inspired by Kim Deal and her ilk, not more.
[/quote]

You said she wasn't inspirational. She's inspired a lot of people whether you like it or not. Deal with it.

It must be strange to live in a place where music is only enjoyable if it's difficult to play.

Edited by uncle psychosis

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1407169027' post='2518004']

The thread is "favourite" female bassist. Not "best" female bassist. If you asked me to name my favourite male bass players I doubt any of the names I'd mention would blow anyone away with technical ability. However, for many of us the single most important aspect of musicality is songwriting. Having chops is brilliant but for me writing killer songs is where its at. Kim Deal may well be a "lousy" bass player but hundreds of thousands of people (if not millions) could sing you the bassline to dozens of Pixies songs. Lines don't have to be technically difficult to be brilliant.
[/quote]

The point is that my favourite female bass players are the ones that play bass the best, just the same as the male bass players I like . The rest is superfluous.

No one has mentioned chops except you. Some good players have chops, some don't, because they do't need them to get their music across. But all good players can play. .

To my sensibilities, The Pixies are notable as neither good musicians or good songwriters. They sound like a band you could see at a youth club for 50 pence or for free at a local pub . They are just another average indie band that got lucky and captured peoples imagination at a particular time , and they have traded on that initial success ever since. They are not a talented band, despite their longevity. You seem to equate lack of technical ability with some automatic compensation of good taste and populist appeal. That is completely erroneous. Bass lines don't have to be difficult to be effective, that is very true but just because a bass line is simple or minimalist in its' approach , that does not automatically bestow virtue or nobility upon it. That is one of the fashionable myths currently afflicting the world of bass.

Very much enjoying this thread derailment but I'm in the Kim camp so I'll suggest Charlotte Cooper from The Subways around the time of their first album. A refreshing change from all the lady bassists who were nailed to one spot of the stage. Obviously men do that too but she was quite spunky.

I shouldn't have said spunky.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1407171040' post='2518034']
You said she wasn't inspirational. She's inspired a lot of people whether you like it or not. Deal with it.

It must be strange to live in a place where music is only enjoyable if it's difficult to play.
[/quote]

The point I made is that what is inspirational about Kim Deal is not her bass playing, it is her as a personality and herself entity outside of her musical contributions to any of her various projects . Put plainly, she can't really play the bass much , so what is there to inspire anybody in that respect ?

What inspires people is the fact that she has become a prominent figure with very little tangible ability of any kind . She inspires people who aren't musical to have a go themselves because it looks attainable . That is very appealing message to a lot of people. You are absolutely right in that respect.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='tonyxtiger' timestamp='1407172215' post='2518040']
Very much enjoying this thread derailment but I'm in the Kim camp so I'll suggest Charlotte Cooper from The Subways around the time of their first album. A refreshing change from all the lady bassists who were nailed to one spot of the stage. Obviously men do that too but she was quite spunky.

I shouldn't have said spunky.
[/quote]

You shouldn't have said" nailed" , either. I can feel the floodgates of innuendo opening...

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1407172381' post='2518042']
You shouldn't have said" nailed" , either. I can feel the floodgates of innuendo opening...
[/quote]

In YOUR endo :D

Anyway, in no particular order:-

Gail Anne Dorsey
Esparanza Spalding
Carol Kaye
Julia Rusicka

And the one who's made me pick up my bass the most recently is a Youtube bassist called Marta Altesa. She does nothing but covers and lets say has obvious appeal to the male viewer, but she always looks like she's having such fun when she's playing I usually end up grabbing my bass and trying to figure out whatever song she's playing.

One of my ex-girlfriends from a very long time ago is now a bass player in a moderately successful indie band. I am waiting for her name to come up in this thread with some dread. I can claim no credit whatsoever, for her taking up the bass though ; she had just got her first guitar when I met her and I tried to encourage her to give up playing to develop her home economics skills. Obviously , she paid no attention whatsoever. She could have had a nice semi-detached house almost paid for by now if she had listened to me, but instead she is still out there touring the world and wearing leather trousers, despite being in her forties now. How she must wistfully reflect on that decision from time to time.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1407171439' post='2518037']
The point is that my favourite female bass players are the ones that play bass the best, just the same as the male bass players I like . The rest is superfluous. [/quote]

And My favourite bass players are the ones who write songs I like the most. Like I said.

Anyway, how do you define "the best" in terms of playing bass? Is Marcus Miller "the best" in comparison to Geddy Lee? Is James Jamerson "the best" in comparison to Paul Chambers? At somepoint it has to become about whose music you prefer.

[quote] They are just another average indie band that got lucky and captured peoples imagination at a particular time , and they have traded on that initial success ever since. They are not a talented band, despite their longevity. [/quote]

You just described 99% of successful rock/pop bands.

[quote]You seem to equate lack of technical ability with some automatic compensation of good taste and populist appeal. That is completely erroneous.
[/quote]

Nonsense, thats not what I said at all. What I said was that you don't have to be a great player to write great songs.

Its quite clear that you really don't understand the influence of the Pixies. Their songs---not their attitude or ability---is what people were (and are) inspired by.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1407173434' post='2518051']
And My favourite bass players are the ones who write songs I like the most. Like I said.

Anyway, how do you define "the best" in terms of playing bass? Is Marcus Miller "the best" in comparison to Geddy Lee? Is James Jamerson "the best" in comparison to Paul Chambers? At somepoint it has to become about whose music you prefer.

[/quote]

Good for you, but you seem to be confusing "best" with "superlative". But good bass players can "best" the playing of poorer ones.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1407173434' post='2518051']

Nonsense, thats not what I said at all. What I said was that you don't have to be a great player to write great songs.

Its quite clear that you really don't understand the influence of the Pixies. Their songs---not their attitude or ability---is what people were (and are) inspired by.
[/quote]

What is implicit in what you say in your previous post is that lack of musical ability is compensated for by great songwriting skills. The Pixes have neither musical ability or songwriting skills. It's just another average indie band making a racket. The rest is sophistry. They are a one-song band , and that monkey went to heaven a long, long time ago. I know because I was there at the time.

Are there winners in art forms now? If one person gets a fuzzy feeling when listening to the dexterity and technique of a song that has been written from the music school rule book, surely there will be others who get the same happy feeling from what pixies do, on the basis that pixies and Kim deal are average untalented etc etc.

Surely it's all opinion or have we decided that a schooled "talented" musician is always better?

To me some incredibly able jazz players fall into the Eric Morcambe camp of "all the right notes, not necessarily in the right order"
I also think flea is awful but I'm ready for lots of people to correct me on that one.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1407174565' post='2518069']

What is implicit in what you say in your previous post is that lack of musical ability is compensated for by great songwriting skills. The Pixes have neither musical ability or songwriting skills. It's just another average indie band making a racket. The rest is sophistry. They are a one-song band , and that monkey went to heaven a long, long time ago. I know because I was there at the time.
[/quote]

Here was me labouring under the impression that I liked the Pixies. Now of course I bow down to your superior artistic values and realise that in fact I don't like them at all. In fact, no one likes them and they definitely haven't written any songs that have influenced an entire generation of musicians.

Please share the master list of worthy bands please, I'd like to know which of my cds I can keep and which ones I'll have to get rid of.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1407176926' post='2518099']
I haven't heard of half of the players Dingus is spouting about but I know every player I met with similar views against anyone they didn't enjoy listening too was a terrible player themselves, not in their own opinion obviously, just sayin' ;)
[/quote]

Dingus doesn't deal in opinions Pete. Just the facts.

[quote name='tonyxtiger' timestamp='1407175539' post='2518087']
Are there winners in art forms now? If one person gets a fuzzy feeling when listening to the dexterity and technique of a song that has been written from the music school rule book, surely there will be others who get the same happy feeling from what pixies do, on the basis that pixies and Kim deal are average untalented etc etc.

Surely it's all opinion or have we decided that a schooled "talented" musician is always better?

To me some incredibly able jazz players fall into the Eric Morcambe camp of "all the right notes, not necessarily in the right order"
I also think flea is awful but I'm ready for lots of people to correct me on that one.
[/quote]
Have you given soul to squeeze a proper listen?

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1407176876' post='2518098']
Here was me labouring under the impression that I liked the Pixies. Now of course I bow down to your superior artistic values and realise that in fact I don't like them at all. In fact, no one likes them and they definitely haven't written any songs that have influenced an entire generation of musicians.

Please share the master list of worthy bands please, I'd like to know which of my cds I can keep and which ones I'll have to get rid of.
[/quote]

The Pixies are bloody awful in their own right, regardless of my superiority ( thanks for acknowledging that, by the way, your humility is a lesson to me ) . I couldn't care less what music you like or don't. You can listen to Run Rig as far as I am concerned but just because you like something, it doesn't make it good.

Edited by Dingus