Why become a member? ×

Carole Kaye Teaches Gene Simmons Of KISS !!

madshadows

sorry to all the kiss fans for being harsh but watching his left hand looks like he only picked up the bass for the first time 70 minutes ago rather than been playing since the 70s - whilst not expecting berlin or pattitucci levels of technique is it not reasonable to expect that after 40 plus years of playing his left hand would demonstrate at least some finesse regardless of the complexity of the lines he is playing?

2:23 he's on his way... but's not quite right... having said that, it;s a tough line to nail getting the accents right.

Anyone else care to take the challenge and be filmed taking a lesson in a Motown bassline with CK?

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1405017102' post='2498003']
sorry to all the kiss fans for being harsh but watching his left hand looks like he only picked up the bass for the first time 70 minutes ago rather than been playing since the 70s - whilst not expecting berlin or pattitucci levels of technique is it not reasonable to expect that after 40 plus years of playing his left hand would demonstrate at least some finesse regardless of the complexity of the lines he is playing?
[/quote]

Not if that's the way he has played for 40 years. Without meaning state the obvious, perfect technique doesn't develop if you are reinforcing bad habits constantly. But hey, Gene has done alright for himself!

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1405017102' post='2498003']
whilst not expecting berlin or pattitucci levels of technique is it not reasonable to expect that after 40 plus years of playing his left hand would demonstrate at least some finesse regardless of the complexity of the lines he is playing?
[/quote]

Once your technique is safe and you can express yourself well, then finesse does not matter.

This guy has being playing a while too. Look at his left hand. ;)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obFcsEtFIKA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obFcsEtFIKA[/url]

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1405027816' post='2498184']
McCartney's left hand thumb technique is totally legit, as it imparts a fatter tonality you cannot get by other means. Great for dub or reggae tones.[/quote]

I agree. My point was that while it lacks finesse, it delivers on what is required.

Anyone remember that Rock School British TV program he did? He came across as a right tosser, as though him being there was the biggest thing in those kids' lives and that he regretted agreeing to do it. And he seemed to constantly complain about the equipment and about how sh*t the kids were. Without going through prison and sex offender lists, you'd struggle to find a more inappropriate music teacher for kids.

All talk and no trousers. Literally in the case of his sex tape, which is the only sex tape I have ever watched. I only had a look because of how embarrassing I'd heard it was. It was excruciatingly awkward. I've seen Lizards go at it with more passion.

*ahem*
My Avatar makes me slightly obvious to my allegiance but, I agree his technique leaves a lot to be desired and this clip highlights that profusely.

Live however, given the fact that at 65yrs old, wearing 20lbs of costume perched upon 7" platforms for 2+ hours a night, singing, playing bass, breathing fire, spillting blood and flying 50ft up into the lighting rig & been doing that for 40+ years in KISS .... I can forgive the old codger for being rather sloppy here and thank him for being the sole reason for me playing bass!
For those unfamiliar with the work of Mr $immon$ - have a listen to Goin' Blind on Hotter Than Hell (1974) and more recently Russian Roulette from Sonic Boom (2009). He can play!!

The one thing I took from the clip was, no matter of the fame, $$$$, platinum albums etc., he's still willing to learn!

Edited by grunge666

[quote name='James Nada' timestamp='1404851320' post='2496429']
And I've spent years telling people Gene Simmons is an under-rated bassist.

Carol and Gene could pass for sisters though, don't you think?
[/quote] I agree I think Gene is very under rated he makes it look like he is not doing much but if you listen he contributes so much to the songs :)

Edited by Thunderbird

Would KISS have sounded better or worse if his playing had been tighter? Not sure, may have been technically better but would the feel of the band be the same? Not being a fan I can`t comment, up to those into the band to evaluate that. What I do like is that someone who has been playing bass for years and earned millions doing it is still willing to learn. Good on him.