Why become a member? ×

Cheap Bass Question

gadgie

Sorry if this has been asked before.

I'm looking for a 2nd bass. Just something cheap.

I was offered a Squire P Bass. I don't know the model but it was 100 quid. Woudl this be worth it?

If not, what would you suggest? Also, I know this will be subjective, but would a P Bass, J Bass, EB be best as a 2nd bass. I have a 4003 just now but the cheap one is for throwing in the car for practice etc.
Cheers

£100 would be about the right price for an Affinity P-bass in good condition. A jazz style might normally be a bit more and others can be found at around the £150 mark or more.

I could be wrong but my guess is it's a good deal. The proof is in the playing though, of course.

Edited by Grangur

It's been said many times before, but I have to concour that from the squiers I have tried recently, they really are perfectly serviceable instruments for not very much money.

When I first started the basses you could get as your first instrument were truly shocking... Standards have been driven up at the budget end.

Edited by CamdenRob

I have been thinking about a cheap P bass too I was thinking of buying a cheapo Westfield bass or something like that off ebay for 30 or 40 quid then modding it up with new tuners and pick ups something like Wilkinsons and I reckon I can stick together a pretty good bass for well under a ton

I recently picked up a J&D Jazz Bass and I'm surprised at how well made it is, I don't know a lot about them but they are cheap and look great if you like blocks and bindings on a Jazz.

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/jandd-jb-vintage-1975-bass-guitar-black--200784

There has been plenty of comment here on Squiers and budget basses
Others are quite correct in saying that budget instruments are (mostly)
a huge improvement on what they were years back

There are good and bad individual instruments from ALL makers
and that includes high end USA guitars!

My advice is play it if you can before buying
I've got a Squier P bass, made in Indonesia
It's absolutely brilliant, and I'd measure it against any USA Fender,
and I'm sure if you covered the badges up,
most of the time you'd swear my Squier was the Fender....

Of course, that's an opinion - but I'm saying don't judge until you've tried
If you can't try the bass because it's far away, you could search for one locally
I'm a member of a local Guitar, Amp & Gear exchange group on facebook
and second-hand basses come up for reasonable money all the time
And of course, it's local so you can try before you buy, with no postage costs or packaging worries

There's also this very fine forum
I've bought several items from the good folk here
and every transaction has been a very happy one, I must say

Try a few Squiers - some of those Squier Jazz basses are awesome

And that J&D Jazz Rumple has linked to looks good

Good luck with your search, and let us know what you decide

Marc

EDIT: I meant to add, that I played several early Chinese and Mex Squiers and Fenders
and they weren't good, for several reasons. Some of the newer stuff from both camps is great though....

Edited by Marc S

Nothing wrong with Squiers, the opposite in my opinion, very good basses, wish "cheap" basses when I started out (1980) had been as good. I have a 90s Korean Squier, it`s a great bass and the neck is incredibly good.

They benefit, in my opinion, from changing the electrics, not for sound, but more for peace of mind, knowing you`ve got the good stuff in there. If the sound isn`t what you want with the Squier, replacement pickups are easy enough to get hold of and install. If you`re no good with a soldering iron - as I`m not - get hold of a wiring loom from our very own Ki0gon, and it`s just a case of unscrewing the wires to make the change.

Don't be shy to give Squire's and other 'entry level' stuff like Vintage's and Tanglewood's (to name just two) a go. It if plays good and sounds good then it is good - doesn't matter too much what the headstock logo says. Especially when you're looking for a back up for your main bass.

If you shop around a bit and get an idea of what you can get for your money then you won't overpay and you'll know what you could move it on for later.

I picked up a Squier VM Jazz V from another BC'er very recently, and it's a perfectly playable, decent sounding bit of kit. It's not perfect, and it's not as good as a premium bass (whatever you take that to be), but you could definitely gig with it. And I'm really fussy about gear.

Edited by humapuma

Another positive note re buying Squier basses, which I don't think anyone has mentioned...
But if you're gigging with a second-hand Squier, or similar type of instrument
You're actually less precious about it than with a USA bass you paid a lot more for.....

It can be quite unnerving, going onstage with a really expensive instrument,
which hasn't got a scratch on it......... yet ;)

From my experience you won't use it. I bought a P basss made by Legend (myself?) for about 40 quid, roughish body so I sprayed it red and coupled with the maple board it looks mighty fine and plays really really well.

Sooo... I modded it with a new set of Fender tuners that I bought for a wet day, I also had a USA pickup and fitted that. With a Kiogon loom the bass is transformed and plays brilliantly with a low action, cannot fault it. I've never ever used it for anything so it sits there. I'm gonna put it up for sale 'cos it's just taking up space that another Squier that I won't use could fill. :rolleyes:

Go figure..

i just bought a Gear4Music P off Ebay for £20. It's got a dodgy paint colour and Rotosound strings, but they can both be fixed and the neck is fine (no dead spots) apart from an embarssing name on the headstock, but it all feels good and sounds good.