Why become a member? ×

Playing and singing.....help!

Skinnyman

Does anyone else struggle to sing and play at the same time? Or is it just me?

We have a great singer but he wants someone to do backing vocals. I'm happy to do it and, apparently, sound okay - but it turns out I can't sing and play simultaneously.

Am I alone in this or does anyone else have the same problem? More importantly, has anyone had the problem and solved it?

Any suggestions for practise routines to help me would be gratefully received....

Someone shared a good youtube video on here once of a girl bass player sharing how she started doing it, I think it started off basically humming parts over simple lines and building on that, I bet someone will share it again , it is a devil of a job though, wonder if drummers would be good at it as they are used to doing lots of different things at once

I do backing vox in my band and I don't seem to have problems doing both in general but if I have to I will compromise the bass line to get the harmony in.
The impact of 2 or 3 part harmony is worth it.

Other than that I'm afraid I'm no help to you

I have been able to achieve some success at this, just by constantly doing it over the years. The bass line tends to simplify. Some songs are simply a no-no.
Definitely hard work.
Lots of homework is the only constructive idea I can come up with. Haven't seen the abovementioned video. If that link is reposted, I'll be giving it some attention!

It's usually a difference in rhythm that causes problems. What I used to do with difficult bits was write down the notes in the bass and vocal parts as beats, one under the other, get them all in the right order playing through it very slowly, and gradually speed it up. I can't remember the last time I had to do that but I have been singing and playing for a lot of years.

It is difficult!
I can play a sing on acoustic guitar and sing quite happily. Give me a bass and anything more complex than a 4/4 dotted crotchet quaver rhythm and it all falls apart!
Harmonies are a nightmare.
I know so many bassists that find it difficult.

The vid I think that people are referring to is Yolanda Charles at a bass show somewhere playing the melody to 'stand by me' and singing it, then moving on to counting whilst playing different rhythms.
Just keep practising it!!

[quote name='bassintheface' timestamp='1402294295' post='2471681']
It is difficult!
I can play a sing on acoustic guitar and sing quite happily. Give me a bass and anything more complex than a 4/4 dotted crotchet quaver rhythm and it all falls apart!
Harmonies are a nightmare.
I know so many bassists that find it difficult.
[/quote]

Same here, although I struggle to remember the words but can play guitar and sit with a music stand and learn, I find it much more difficult with bass. It really annoys me as I wrote the songs on guitar.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1402291438' post='2471666']
I have been able to achieve some success at this, just by constantly doing it over the years. The bass line tends to simplify. Some songs are simply a no-no.
Definitely hard work.
Lots of homework is the only constructive idea I can come up with. Haven't seen the abovementioned video. If that link is reposted, I'll be giving it some attention!
[/quote]

Thats been my solution, practice practice practice until the bass playing becomes automatic and it all clicd. I'm getting somewhere at last. I only song on 3 numbers but I'm getting there.

Singing & playing bass is bloody hard to do & the only way you'll get any better at it is by practicing.
It helps to really strip your bass part back to a minimum when singing, then as you improve at it you can slowly build the bassline back up if you feel you have to.
As someone else has said, it's worth sacrificing the bass part a bit to get the vocals sounding good - a well executed vocal harmony will always sound better than an impressive bass line to the average (ie non bass playing) listener IMO.

Edited by RhysP

I share the lead vocals in our band so play the correct bass lines when i am not singing and pretty much play root notes when I do sing. Huge respect to those that can do it. Some of Bruce Foxtons bass lines and harmonies are near impossible to do but he manages with ease.

First off- practise. It will make it easier. It's not a case of ' I can't' it's a case of ' I don't'. Why on earth when we know how many man hours of sheer hard work it took to be able to play bass at a decent level - yet then expect to be able to sing in 10 minutes - I can't understand. Secondly - and this helped me no end - write out the lyrics. Highlight on the words where the playing accents are then practise getting that word or syllable bang on the money with the played note. Example for me was ZZ Top's 'cheap sunglasses' on which I sang lead vocal - my lyric sheet read 'When you WAKE up in the morning and the LIGHT hurts your head - the FIRST thing you do when you GET up out of bed ' etc etc. YouTube it and you'll see what I mean. Thirdly - again it helped me - put on the actors hat and BE a confident singing player. Pretend. Confidence will automatically follow , you'll improve and won't have to pretend anymore. Before you know it you'll be fighting to get to the mic rather than being scared of it. It's great singing - gives you control of the band. Stops the guitarist extending his w***athon solos in their tracks when you approach the mic and fire in with the next verse. More importantly you become a better bass player - supporting the sung melody rather than clashing with it by shoving in a killer bass run where it's not needed. Oh- and don't listen if anyone here that says 'Oh it's just DocD gobbing off like some big shot just because he can do it. There was nobody less confident or competent than me I assure you. I was utter sh*te at singing. I just practised and followed the steps above and now I can offer my thoughts to others with a reasonable degree of certainty that they will help you.

So, it's not just me then...!! Phew.

That video is brilliant and will become part of my exercise routine from today.

So the general consensus is; simplify or sacrifice the bass part for the vocal, practice and, er, practice some more.

Thanks to all for the constructive comments - and for the reassurance that I'm not a freak because I can't do this!

Oh look, it's just DocD gobbing off like some big shot just because he can do it :lol: sorry, couldn't resist. Seriously though, them is wise words and broadly similar to my own experience.
I never cease to be amazed at players who seem to sing effortlessly over the most complex of basslines. For my money, this is far and away the most impressive aspect of Mark King's abilities.

Back in the day when I first started playing I could never do any cvocal lines other than over simple 4/4 or 8/4 bass patterns.

When I picked up bass again after years not doing anything with it there was a clear understanding in the band we put together that I'd be doing my share of backing vocals. As a consequence I've found that by learning and practising the bass lines and the backing vocals at the same time I can usually manage both. There are exceptions - as stated by others if the bass line is especially busy I'll struggle. I'm lucky in that one of the guitarists also sings backing vocals so we usually find a way through between us.

So my suggestion is not to try to learn new songs one part at a time, but figure out the whole lot together. Not much help if you've already learned the bass riff I know!

Edited by 41.2Hz

even thinking about singing whilst playing throws my playing out

had somebody come up during a song once trying to ask for a request and even thinking about answering her was just too much and i eventually ended up thinking 'go away i cant concentrate on playing and thinking about your question at the same time' and just ended up nodding in the general direction of the bandleader

Practice practice practice....it will come. Especially when you know a bass line without even thinking about it.

If you can play bass and hold a note for backing, you are almost there! Some people really can't sing, despite being fantastic musicians (my old drummer just had no clue he was out of tune.He tried singing lessons and it didn't work!)

I must admit, the majority of the time it is probably easier to play rhythm guitar and sing rather than bass and sing...

I started off as a (not particularly good) lead singer in a band with schoolmates, just jamming (got replaced before they did a proper gig, not for my singing just daft internal politics but I digress) so i had a bit of experience of what my voice could and couldn't do before I ever picked up a bass. However I didn't sing anything while I was teaching myself how to play. Then I started jamming with a mate who played keys and sang a bit and then I started sharing vox. It was all very gradual. I definitely have to be able to play something pretty much with no thought of what I'm doing to have any chance of singing as well. The bass has to just take care of itself automatically then I can concentrate on the vox. Simplify the bass a bit if you need to, an audience will notice poor vocals before a few left out notes every time. Build it slowly. There are plenty of things I still can't sing and play the proper line at the same time so you need to know your limits but its surprising what is possible if you are prepared to put in the hours. No quick fixes I'm afraid unless you are a real natural, I'm sure even Geddy has to work on things when a new batch of songs is ready to be recorded and gigged.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1402301145' post='2471724']
Highlight on the words where the playing accents are then practise getting that word or syllable bang on the money with the played note. Example for me was ZZ Top's 'cheap sunglasses' on which I sang lead vocal - my lyric sheet read 'When you WAKE up in the morning and the LIGHT hurts your head - the FIRST thing you do when you GET up out of bed ' etc etc. [/quote]

Ha, when I was looking for an alternative ZZ number to get people to do at jam sessions (cos EVERYONE was doing Sharp Dressed Man or Tush!) this is what I taught myself to sing & play bass and its pretty much my approach too. The house band gutarist never quite got the middle sections around the solos quite right but we had a laugh with it a couple of times.

Edited by KevB