Why become a member? ×

wasting time

Kevin Dean

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1401364717' post='2462812']
Wonder why so many people have multiple basses if its not worth spending more than a few mins getting a good tone.

Maybe its not worth spending the time, but worth sending them money ;-)
[/quote]
This is a very good point and the same might apply to multiple amps etc too.

However, I don't quite understand why it would take any more than a few minutes to get a good tone and if it did I would think there was either something wrong with the equipment or something wrong with me. It's not that it's not worth spending more than a few minutes; it's that it really should only take a few minutes.

Anyway, speaking for myself I could quite adequately play in any band I have ever been in with one Precision Bass, or one Jazz Bass or similar, or one probably not even very similar at all. It would still work. But despite multiple basses being not really necessary I do like to have different kinds if I am going to have more than one so:

Upright bass
Large bodied electro-acoustic fretless
Solid body electric fretted (I have two of these and can give no good excuse - I should be horse-whipped)
Bass VI tic-tac/surf bass

They all sound disappointingly the same when I play them.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1401373779' post='2462938']
They all sound disappointingly the same when I play them.
[/quote]

Disappointing or not, it is certainly true that having multiple basses does not guarantee multiple tones.
This is what comes of playing multiple basses with the same fingers!

[quote name='BigGuyAtTheBack' timestamp='1401376678' post='2462991']
Spent 20 years looking for the 'right' tone, discovered a plectrum was all I needed! :blink:
[/quote]

[color=#222222]I spent 20 + years using a plectrum and very recently started finger style playing again, such things coupled with new strings, old strings, different strings, heavier strings, lighter strings, different amps, new amps, different cabs, new cabs, different combinations of amp and cab, playing a P Bass, playing a Jazz bass, playing a Stingray, concentration of effort into different styles, overhauling my practice regime, combinations of the above, for me make life interesting.[/color]

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1401378863' post='2463034']
I spent 20 + years using a plectrum and very recently started finger style playing again, such things coupled with new strings, old strings, different strings, heavier strings, lighter strings, different amps, new amps, different cabs, new cabs, different combinations of amp and cab, playing a P Bass, playing a Jazz bass, playing a Stingray, concentration of effort into different styles, overhauling my practice regime, combinations of the above, for me make life interesting.
[/quote]

Having a very similar experience, only I never before played fingerstyle and am now doing so after 36 years with the pick.
Why? Dunno! :huh: Having fun, though.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1401279341' post='2461933']
Loud amp, comfy bass, no one cares in the audience.
[/quote]imo it depends on your audience. even if they don't care, hearing a great tone to inspire you, is at least half as important. if i don't like the sound I'm producing, it really doesn't inspire me to play well.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1401391827' post='2463252']
...if i don't like the sound I'm producing, it really doesn't inspire me to play well.
[/quote]

This is very true. Similarly, I don't know how people can just turn up and plug their basses into any old backline rig at a gig. What's the point of spending years on the tone quest only to play through mediocre gear when you get the opportunity to play in public?

Edited by discreet

Guest bassman7755

So you spend hours tweaking the perfect tone, all you have to do now is invite someone from the audience to come and stand right next to you for the whole set, shame that it will probably sound rubbish to everyone else.

Seriously though - if your playing a half decent bass through half decent gear, and havn't crucified the tone with the old "smiley face" and/or the old bass boost button (i.e. have some mids so that people can hear the actual notes you play) you will probably have a tone better than 95% of the people I see playing in pub bands.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1401286224' post='2462038']
It takes me more time to carry my gear from the van to the stage than it does to 'find my tone'... I also do my load in with just one trip. If you have to search for a sound, you've got he wrong gear IMO. Should be able to just plug in, make a few small adjustments and PLAY!
[/quote]
I do hope guitarists read this

[quote name='BigGuyAtTheBack' timestamp='1401376678' post='2462991']
Spent 20 years looking for the 'right' tone, discovered a plectrum was all I needed! :blink:
[/quote]

Completely the opposite for me. I'd love to be able to play fluently without a pick, and I can at home, but once at a gig I resort back to a pick.
I much prefer the tone of fingers over pick.

[quote name='Mark Dyer' timestamp='1401294217' post='2462176']
As most people here have commented, I agree with keeping it simple. I have a Streamliner into a Berg 4x10, everything is flat on the amp and the bass, I'm confident of the sound I'm going to get every time. On occasion I might tweak the cab to the room but it's very rare I do that.
[/quote]

Agree - precision into a hartke hydrive 2x 10 with the controls flat. Doesn't need changing

[quote name='notable9' timestamp='1401468757' post='2463981']
Fiddling with the head is fun but at the end of day your tone is all in ur fingers......is'nt it?
[/quote]

It must be. The most significant change I've made to my tone in the last 20 years was a week ago, when I cut the fingernail on my right forefinger well back. Finally got rid of the harshness. Mind you, it'll be trickier fingerpicking on guitar now.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1401280539' post='2461957']

+1

+1 Generally no one cares unless it's overwhelmingly loud in the mix or you can't hear it at all.
However, standing right in front of my cab it does make me feel better if I like what I can hear coming past me (on the rare occasions I'm not wearing IEM's).
[/quote]
With a Barefaced Super 15, it [i] doesn't matter [/i] if you're wearing IEMs!

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1401470522' post='2464006']
I much prefer the tone of fingers over pick.
[/quote]

This is why I made the change way back in my first working band...
Best decision ever........
The only pick player I get interested in is Bobby Vega

Use what the song requires. Rounded tone with little or no attack needed? use fingers. Sharp attack on th notes required? use a pick (either held plastic or 'home grown' via your own finger nails). Nothing wrong with mixing the two in different parts of the same song, watch Chris Squier. Heard bass players ruin songs both ways by choosing the inappropriate option doing covers. Doubt whether more than 2% of the rest of the audience would be bothered though. But we're straying back onto a topic that's been done to death.

Edited by KevB

One of the beauties of IEMs is that you can get the tone you've been faffing about with for ages in your ears, completely removed from the cab, the stage, the room and all those shenanigans. Let the FOH guy(s) worry about the room acoustics and overall sound, I can overlay my tone onto the band in my ears and I'm happy in my little bubble...as has been said before, 99% of the audience don't care about the bass sound as long as it's there.

Well, I care. I've spend £££££ and hours and hours for many many years honing things
and it isn't really much of a concern if most people have cloth ears..

If I feel I am sounding good and the band can feed off that, then that takes us up a
level. Sounding and feeling great on stage is what I want to do it for...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1401879342' post='2467715']
Well, I care. I've spend £££££ and hours and hours for many many years honing things
and it isn't really much of a concern if most people have cloth ears..

If I feel I am sounding good and the band can feed off that, then that takes us up a
level. Sounding and feeling great on stage is what I want to do it for...
[/quote]

This is the most important thing to me. No matter how i sound out front if im not enjoying my tone then i wont play as well.
My rig has two tones. Close up on stage its quite poky and i never have any issues with hearing myself (nor do the band). Out front, say 20ft and further the lows seems to bloom, or the mids die off, and its a fuller, warmer tone.

Since this thread started ive gone from a long time P bass user to Jazz bass. Haha, there is no hope for some of us. for me there is no "my tone", its what i want at the time and how i feel. By the end of the year ill be back to P.