Why become a member? ×

wasting time

Kevin Dean

The above are all true in practical terms, but I would argue that the futile endless pursuit of the perfect bass/tone/rig is a hobby quite separate from the music. Hobbies are used as distraction/catharsis/relaxation/time away from spouse etc. and that in itself can* be a good thing.

*not guaranteed. Please use responsibly. Side effects may include damage to bank balance and/or relationships.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1401279896' post='2461941']
...I would argue that the futile endless pursuit of the perfect bass/tone/rig is a hobby quite separate from the music. Hobbies are used as distraction/catharsis/relaxation/time away from spouse etc. and that in itself can be a good thing.
[/quote]

You're right, of course. :) We can rattle on endlessly about the minutiae of basses and gear and buy and trade and sell all sorts of pointless crap (I know I have) and post and read opinions about every possible related subject, but...

...at the end of the day the drummer still plays out of time, so what's the point..? :D

The above are all true in practical terms, but I would argue that the futile endless pursuit of the perfect bass/tone/rig is a hobby quite separate from the music. Hobbies are used as distraction/catharsis/relaxation/time away from spouse etc. and that in itself can* be a good thing.

*not guaranteed. Please use responsibly. Side effects may include damage to bank balance and/or relationships.
[/quote]

Exactly right. In much the same way that some people obsess over their hi-fi cables or pimp their cars. The measurable effects on performance is miniscule at best, but it provides them with great pleasure so what's the harm?

It depends what sort of sound you've got. If it's a standard low end rumble masked by a bunch of guitars, no-one will care. If you're doing something creative where you take up much more sonic-space than that, then it really matters.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1401277905' post='2461911']
The other day I spent 6 hours going between my two bass heads
[/quote]

If you have not got "your" sound after six hours, perhaps your search lies elsewhere. Other things influence your over all sound...not least of which are the strings you use. Perhaps this is an avenue worth exploring ?

We've just spent 20 minutes testing a good old '90's rack mounted ART pre-amp with a vast array of multi-effects. It has zillions of sound options and you could easily spend a day just fiddling with the controls. Literally every effect is combinable (including a tube pre-amp) and each one has total control over each parameter!

Then we plugged in a new Demeter head with just 5 knobs and a couple of flick switches. Got a better sound in just 2 minutes with virtually no fiddling :)

Obviously the Demeter is in a different league of quality and construction but it did bring home that starting with something good in the first place could make more difference than loads of options.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1401283671' post='2462011']
...starting with something good in the first place could make more difference than loads of options.
[/quote]

So true. I spent years doing the rack-full-of-gear thing, but now I just plug in my Fusion - and there it is. :)

It takes me more time to carry my gear from the van to the stage than it does to 'find my tone'... I also do my load in with just one trip. If you have to search for a sound, you've got he wrong gear IMO. Should be able to just plug in, make a few small adjustments and PLAY!

The trouble with finding your sound is in the recognising that you already have it.

I have always operated with the idea that one's sound is achieved very quickly and then tweaked as things develop. Being blunt, in my experience, too much tweaking is a fool's errand and, yes, a waste of time. All the noodling in the world will do nothing to counter a hollow wooden stage, a high ceiling or a thrashy ride cymbal. If you cannot get a sound in a few seconds, you are probably fighting the room, not your gear.

As most people here have commented, I agree with keeping it simple. I have a Streamliner into a Berg 4x10, everything is flat on the amp and the bass, I'm confident of the sound I'm going to get every time. On occasion I might tweak the cab to the room but it's very rare I do that.

Never spend any time getting a sound I like. What I 'like' may or may not be relevant to what's required for the band I'm in at the time or the music they perform. I spend some time getting a sound that I believe to be 'right' in the band context considering how and what they play and the music that's performed. And then I leave it alone unless the room requires a bit of tweaking. Never play my gigging rig at home, what's the point? the rest of the band aren't there and I'll just annoy the neighbours. 25W practice amp is fine, all I have to do is hear myself above whatever I'm playing along to/rehearsing/learning.

Wasting time;
One of my last bands. Every other week at rehearsals , mr vox/ guitar, decides to change the tuning of many songs already learnt from previous rehearsal.
Also, psyching yourself up for a pub gig with a big reputation . Then finding yourself playing in front of 1 man and a deaf dog. Plus egocentric rip off manager .( hello grey horse Kingston );)

Guest bassman7755

The above are all true in practical terms, but I would argue that the futile endless pursuit of the perfect bass/tone/rig is a hobby [s]quite separate from[/s] [i] instead of [/i]the music.
[/quote]

Corrected for you.