Why become a member? ×

Youtube bass covers: Why do it?

Fionn

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1399974717' post='2449438']
I have seen some great video players on da tube, but there is a massive amount of cack as well. :huh:
[/quote]

That's the real problem, isn't it? - For every decent wombat there are a thousand retarded poo-wallabies.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1399974785' post='2449440']
...loved the little hand wiggle wave thing near the beginning btw :)
[/quote]

And at the end! :P

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1399974986' post='2449446']
Personally, if I was posting clips of myself, I'd practice my "bass-face" in the mirror beforehand, so that I nail that balance between being naturally good-looking and looking like a player who feels the music. I'd make sure that the light and camera angle was just right, and that I was wearing the right top to show off my toned physique. Then I'd make you all feel feeble with my superior bass technique. Afterwards I'd apply tone filters to the clip, to maximise my aura ... then sit tight and await the cult following.
[/quote]

Excellent! I am very much looking forward to seeing that, despite the risk of feeling feeble. :)

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1399973634' post='2449414']
I think it's sometimes a great idea...you have the luxury of hearing the bass louder than in the original mix and you get a glimpse of how it's played, how cool is that...
I'm guilty myself of posting this one...it's meant to be helpful, has nothing to do with my ego (I'm 51 and bald...it's too late for that)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtAUasvmO5s[/media]
[/quote]

It was useful. Helped me a lot-thanks

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1399972155' post='2449393']
That wasn't the question. They are different scenarios.
[/quote]

...but the motivation is very similar, if not exactly the same, whether you're playing in a pub or on YouTube - i.e. wanting an audience for your performance.

Of course a live gig is very different environment to recording a YouTube clip at home. But both are... ultimately... about the vanity of performance and wanting to 'connect' with people.

If you're really questioning the value of YouTube as a promotional medium, then may I point you to Ceefax page 303 where you'll find more information on the topic :P

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1399971211' post='2449379']
I don't know what altruism means
[/quote]

We've been trying to tell you that for years, but would you listen??? :P B)

Seriously, it's another word for not posting vids on YT that make other people feel worthless as bassists.
Nice chops! Very non-altruistic of you! :P

BTW, it's also used to describe the actions of people like myself when we don't post vids so as to spare other people from having to watch our attempts at attempting... :(

Edited by BassTractor

Because it allows people like me to watch people like Marta. The fact that she's a great player helps me justify it to my wife and myself no matter how thinly veiled an excuse it is.

Edited by mrtcat

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1399982400' post='2449535']
We've been trying to tell you that for years, but would you listen??? :P B)

Seriously, it's another word for not posting vids on YT that make other people feel worthless as bassists.
Nice chops! Very non-altruistic of you! :P

BTW, it's also used to describe the actions of people like myself when we don't post vids so as to spare other people from having to watch our attempts at attempting... :(
[/quote]

Sorry, I can't hear you over my excessively driven bass sound (and the resultant hiss/feedback) :lol:

And cheers man :) Took me many years to be confident enough with my playing and tone to post anything on the internet. I could be a lot tighter, and watching back does help a bit to highlight that.

People playing covers on youtube has been a great tool for me.

Theres times where I'm struggling to work out a certain bit to a song, i can just look at a bunch of 'bass covers' videos on youtube and work it out quicker.

I also find it interesting to see how different people play different songs.

There are definitely a few bedroom w***ers out there posting on YouTube, but also as said before, a lot of folk who want to be seen and maybe spotted by bands or labels. I guess there's lots of poseurs too. I have never felt the urge to play on YouTube as it's just asking for trolls to tear you down. Each to their own I guess

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1399982089' post='2449533']
...but the motivation is very similar, if not exactly the same, whether you're playing in a pub or on YouTube - i.e. wanting an audience for your performance.

Of course a live gig is very different environment to recording a YouTube clip at home. But both are... ultimately... about the vanity of performance and wanting to 'connect' with people.

If you're really questioning the value of YouTube as a promotional medium, then may I point you to Ceefax page 303 where you'll find more information on the topic :P
[/quote]

Agreed. You could equally ask me "If you only ever play in the lounge and Mrs G is your only ever audience, why bother at all?"

Some folk need an audience. Some don't. Some have the punters at the O2, others it's the "Dog and Duck", for some it's the missus and others get a kick from watching the viewer figures rise on their YouTube account.

I would still ask of those who really should only play to the mirror, "Why bother?" If the sound is so weak that the viewer can't hear you above the backing track, why bother?

Edited by Grangur

I don't get it at all - I have no desire whatsoever to either watch clips of other people playing bass or to film myself playing & put it on YouTube or whatever. It all seems a bit w***y & egotistical to me.

I don't get why people would want to seek praise and/or acceptance from a bunch of people they don't know.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1399989857' post='2449632']
I don't get it at all - I have no desire whatsoever to either watch clips of other people playing bass or to film myself playing & put it on YouTube or whatever. It all seems a bit w***y & egotistical to me.

I don't get why people would want to seek praise and/or acceptance from a bunch of people they don't know.
[/quote]

Aren't there elements of all that in doing a gig though?

[/quote]

This has a lot to do with the success of The Voice, X-Factor, [i]et al[/i]. IMHO.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1399990152' post='2449633']
Aren't there elements of all that in doing a gig though?
[/quote]

I suppose there must be, which is why I probably dislike playing live so much.

I generally felt nothing but contempt for any audience I've ever played in front of, especially if they've decided to start offering up their opinions to me afterwards - I really couldn't give a f*** if anybody thinks it was bad, good or anything else so long as I'm happy with what I've done.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1399993028' post='2449679']
I suppose there must be, which is why I probably dislike playing live so much.

I generally felt nothing but contempt for any audience I've ever played in front of, especially if they've decided to start offering up their opinions to me afterwards - I really couldn't give a f*** if anybody thinks it was bad, good or anything else so long as I'm happy with what I've done.
[/quote]

It's your call if you want to play in a grumpy bubble, but I find it genuinely sad.

[/quote]

To be honest I quite like the 'look-at-me-see-what-I-can-do-ya-losers' aspect of it. :D

[size=4][quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1399993587' post='2449686'][/size]It's your call if you want to play in a [b]grumpy bubble[/b], but I find it genuinely sad.
[/quote]

Great name for a more mature and cynical band...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1399993587' post='2449686']
It's your call if you want to play in a grumpy bubble, but I find it genuinely sad.
[/quote]

I'm not grumpy, nor do I find it sad, it's just that I derive no pleasure in providing entertainment for other people.

It's why I don't gig - I've done it & I get nothing from it whatsoever that I wouldn't get from just playing in a room with a band with no audience.

I enjoy playing music but I have no need to be told how great I am by a bunch of strangers, I'm just not that insecure.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1399993993' post='2449692']
I'm not grumpy, nor do I find it sad, it's just that I derive no pleasure in providing entertainment for other people.

It's why I don't gig - I've done it & I get nothing from it whatsoever that I wouldn't get from just playing in a room with a band with no audience.

I enjoy playing music but I have no need to be told how great I am by a bunch of strangers, I'm just not that insecure.
[/quote]

Swearing about it sure looks grumpy to me - that's why I said it. Sorry if I misread you there.

Perhaps I am insecure - but I've only started writing songs in the last few months so can you really blame me? For me it's affirming if folk get into my debut efforts, gives me the confidence to continue and to improve. Also, being told you're doing well by complete strangers is more valid to me - they don't know me so have no reason to blow smoke up my arse. To me there's absolutely no point me writing songs with words if I'm not going to share them with people and see how they react. If I want to write some words that no-one else gets to see, I'll keep a diary.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1399993993' post='2449692']
[/quote]

You are the way you are. That's fair enough. However, it does not have to be a sign of insecurity. Quite the opposite can be required in some cases when posting clips on You Tube. Even if you are genuinely good, you can still leave yourself open to all sorts of unwarranted criticism. IMO, to post anything on You Tube you need a neck like a jocky's b****x !! :D