Why become a member? ×

Youtube bass covers: Why do it?

Fionn

What drives folk to post videos of themselves playing bass covers, for all the world to see?

Altruism? Egotism?

Discuss ...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNdfCAe0cWw[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOx_mAyo0xM[/media]

Edited by Fionn

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1399971211' post='2449379']
I don't know what altruism means, but this guy is one egotistical prick
[/quote]
I do know what altruism means and you may be correct on the second point; but he was extremely effective in reminding me that I have no interest whatsoever in so-called metal.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1399971490' post='2449383']
What drives folk to play in pubs etc., for all the world to see?
[/quote]

That wasn't the question. They are different scenarios.

No idea - It also brings up the modern way of bands 'forming'. They practice over Skype/send song ideas, which is great that technology is so brilliant, but it takes the fun out of getting in a decent practice room/studio, and having a Saturday afternoon with mates!

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1399972003' post='2449391']
I do know what altruism means and you may be correct on the second point; but he was extremely effective in reminding me that I have no interest whatsoever in so-called metal.
[/quote]

Check the basses in the background of the vid with the ones in the poster's sig....

I think it's sometimes a great idea...you have the luxury of hearing the bass louder than in the original mix and you get a glimpse of how it's played, how cool is that...
I'm guilty myself of posting this one...it's meant to be helpful, has nothing to do with my ego (I'm 51 and bald...it's too late for that)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtAUasvmO5s[/media]

Edited by wombatboter

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1399973634' post='2449414']
I think it's sometimes a great idea...you have the luxury of hearing the bass louder than in the original mix and you get a glimpse of how it's played, how cool is that...
[/quote]

I agree, there are a few guys on there who I listen back to a lot because I can hear the bass and it has a nice tone!

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1399973634' post='2449414']

you have the luxury of hearing the bass louder than in the original mix and you get a glimpse of how it's played
[/quote]

So that is why you post youtube videos of yourself playing? Can't you just sit in front of the mirror for that.

Edited by Fionn

It's meant for someone who has a fretless bass and wonders how it can be played....like I said : it has nothing to do with me, it might be helpful, who knows. The feedback showed me that it turned out to be handy for others. I don' t need approval, that's not why I play music, I just like the sound of a bass.

That[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1399974222' post='2449429']
It's meant for someone who has a fretless bass and wonders how it can be played....like I said : it has nothing to do with me, it might be helpful, who knows. The feedback showed me that it turned out to be handy for others. I don' t need approval, that's not why I play music, I just like the sound of a bass.
[/quote]

Cool! You do it for altruistic reasons, to help folk work out basslines. I'm just asking what drives folk to do it.

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1399974222' post='2449429']
[/quote]

For what it's worth, your vid helped me spend 3'19" of my day in a very pleasant manner and thus is valid, afaic.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1399973931' post='2449420']
Can't you just sit in front of the mirror for that.
[/quote]

Have you tried getting a good mirror these days ?
And when the 'Bass Face' breaks it - Seven years bad luck. :D

I have seen some great video players on da tube, but there is a massive amount of cack as well. :huh:

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1399974222' post='2449429']
[/quote]

I haven't got a fretless I did though thoroughly enjoyed the vid. However, what it has done is given me GAS for a fretless :)

EDIT: loved the little hand wiggle wave thing near the beginning btw :)

Edited by Marvin

Glad they do, it's another useful tool in learning stuff I might need for a gig. I never used to bother looking at them but I've actually found watching someone else play lines I've needed to learn recently has speeded up my getting to grips with them. I don't much care whether they are doing it as a show reel, ego boost or genuinely want to help others learn the lines, its just another learning resource for me.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1399974842' post='2449442']
Glad they do, it's another useful tool in learning stuff I might need for a gig. I never used to bother looking at them but I've actually found watching someone else play lines I've needed to learn recently has speeded up my getting to grips with them. I don't much care whether they are doing it as a show reel, ego boost or genuinely want to help others learn the lines, its just another learning resource for me.
[/quote]

Yes, although I wish some would remember to turn a little toward the camera so the fretting hand can be seen clearly...dashed annoying when half the fretboard isn't in shot.

Personally, if I was posting clips of myself, I'd practice my "bass-face" in the mirror beforehand, so that I nail that balance between being naturally good-looking and looking like a player who feels the music. I'd make sure that the light and camera angle was just right, and that I was wearing the right top to show off my toned physique. Then I'd make you all feel feeble with my superior bass technique. Afterwards I'd apply tone filters to the clip, to maximise my aura ... then sit tight and await the cult following.