Why become a member? ×

Youtube bass covers: Why do it?

Fionn

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1399996022' post='2449717']
What, all sweaty and wrinkly? :huh:
[/quote][URL=http://www.sherv.net/][IMG]http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/sick/about-to-vomit.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1399994666' post='2449701']
Swearing about it sure looks grumpy to me - that's why I said it. Sorry if I misread you there.
[/quote]

Not grumpy, I just swear a lot because I'm an uneducated working class person with a limited vocabulary.
I also enjoy swearing.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1399994666' post='2449701']
Perhaps I am insecure - but I've only started writing songs in the last few months so can you really blame me?...
...There's absolutely no point me writing songs with words if I'm not going to share them with people and see how they react...[/quote]

I've only been writing songs for about 18 months, but once again I do it for myself. If I write something I think is sh*t then it goes in the bin, if I like it that's good enough for me.

It's just an excercise, I'm not doing it because I want to bare my soul or some other bollocks, it's just to see if I can do something that makes me think "yeah, that's OK, I'm happy with that".

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1399995762' post='2449714']
Even if you are genuinely good, you can still leave yourself open to all sorts of unwarranted criticism. IMO, to post anything on You Tube you need a neck like a jocky's b****x !! :D
[/quote]

I can't see why that is; surely you'd only need "a neck like a jockey's bollox" if you actually cared what complete strangers (who are most likely just trolling anyway) say about you. Seeking the approval of people you've never met & know nothing about sure sounds like insecurity to me, or maybe some form of masochism.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1399993028' post='2449679']I generally felt nothing but contempt for any audience I've ever played in front of, especially if they've decided to start offering up their opinions to me afterwards - I really couldn't give a f*** if anybody thinks it was bad, good or anything else so long as I'm happy with what I've done.[/quote]

...which is absolutely fine. As is someone wanting to share their music with other people via YouTube, pubs gigs, playing at Wembley Stadium, etc. It's not a black/white, either/or scenario.

Wanting to perform in front of an audience - in the flesh or online - isn't a sign of insecurity. I'm sure some people do approach it as a way of seeking attention [i]("look at me!")[/i], which I'd also guess is one of the primary reasons why people choose to play in bands... although they might not like to admit it (too cool for school, etc) ;)

YouTube just provides people with an audience. It's a great way for new artists to get their stuff out there for people to hear, and there have been a number of famous major label signings on the back of YouTube successes. There are also hundreds of videos available that inspire other people to take up instruments. It's all good, really.

Fair enough if that's not your cup of char. If you have contempt for audiences then performance clearly isn't your thing. But rest assured that YouTube will rumble on and continue to play a key role in the music industry for years to come, no matter whether you, I or anyone else on Basschat chooses to upload stuff to it or not :)

Edited by Skol303

I think it is good, when I am looking on how to play something I have a look at other people playing it, it is easier to see how to play them and it is nice to hear different equipment.

Sometimes it is just nice to hear people, or not if they are not so good.

It certainly didn't do Marta any harm did it - she ended up playing with Jamiroqui which I doubt would have happened without her posting videos on youtube.

Edited by Woodinblack

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1399989857' post='2449632']
I don't get it at all - I have no desire whatsoever to either watch clips of other people playing bass or to film myself playing & put it on YouTube or whatever. It all seems a bit w***y & egotistical to me.

I don't get why people would want to seek praise and/or acceptance from a bunch of people they don't know.
[/quote]

There are various reasons why I enjoy playing to an audience, whether it be live or on a YouTube video. I do admit there's an element of w***ery and egotism in there though :D

I don't get why people want to seek praise from strangers either. But I do like it :lol:

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1399997023' post='2449741']
Seeking the approval of people you've never met & know nothing about sure sounds like insecurity to me, or maybe some form of masochism.
[/quote]

I think you may have missed my point, which was that by posting on You Tube, far from getting [i]approval[/i], you may get criticism (if you are lucky) or downright abuse...the last thing you'd want/need if you are insecure.

As for machoism, it can be par for the course in some types of music.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1400102644' post='2450902']
It's a waste of time that youtube lark.
[/quote]

So is that Twitter lark and that SoundCloud lark. As well as that Facebook lark.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1400102644' post='2450902']
I find it much better to waste my time on internet forums.
[/quote]

I'd like to disagree but the evidence is against me.

In my experience, it was simply out of boredom. That, and the fact that saying "I want to make a cover of song X" gave you a definable goal, rather than just rambling about random songs when you practice, you then have a new song to learn and play well for the cover.

Aside from that, it teaches you a lot of other things. Audio recording. Video recording. Editing, mixing and syncing together. The world of YouTube ('breaking into' a market on YouTube can be incredibly difficult).

A better question might be - if you have the time and equipment, why not do it? It can be very beneficial.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1399982089' post='2449533']

...but the motivation is very similar, if not exactly the same, whether you're playing in a pub or on YouTube - i.e. wanting an audience for your performance.

Of course a live gig is very different environment to recording a YouTube clip at home. But both are... ultimately... about the vanity of performance and wanting to 'connect' with people.

If you're really questioning the value of YouTube as a promotional medium, then may I point you to Ceefax page 303 where you'll find more information on the topic :P
[/quote]

Can anyone really deny Youtube's value as a promotional tool? That's basically all it is. Large companies pay to put ads on videos. Small companies make promotional videos. Bassists make covers (which might be used as a demo to show to potential band members - further promotion).

I've done a couple of Youtube play alongs. When recording them I worked harder on getting the song under my fingers than I normally would. I really wanted it to be spot on if it was going to be out there. I liken it to being back at school and having to learn a piece to play to your teacher.

There is a downside. Doing a gig with a guy I know recently, he said "Oh I saw something great on your youtube channel, lets do Knock on wood". I couldn't even remember what key it was in let alone the part I played :)

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1399987874' post='2449617']
I have never felt the urge to film myself playing and post it, but the people who do have saved me months of time in working bass lines out.
For that I thank you one and all.
[/quote]

This. Usually even if they are wrong or badly played you can get a handle on something just by watching the playing position. Increasingly my ears are not so good so any help I can get is great.

To the OP, have you tried to audition for a band lately? A lot of bands won't even let you through the door for an audition without hearing some sort of recording these days, and when it is so easy and cheap for people to do, why not? Anyone serious about there playing and trying to get out playing in quality bands should want to promote themselves. I am considering doing a bunch of videos for youtube myself for this very reason, although I did agonise of the the perception of me being an egotistical w%#!er. If used in the right spirit how can it be though.
You showed one of Marta's clips, and I struggle to see how you can describe her as altruistic or egotistical, it's just a talented young woman performing in front of a camera, trying to promote her playing. Most of the time she almost
Seems embarrassed to be in front of the camera! It seems to be working for her, her videos get a lot of views, the fact that she is also quite attractive I'm sure has nothing to do with it!!!

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1400137580' post='2451020']

This. Usually even if they are wrong or badly played you can get a handle on something just by watching the playing position. Increasingly my ears are not so good so any help I can get is great.
[/quote]

+10000000

These videos CAN be a very useful tool to learning. I can learn by ear, but quite often it takes a while to pick it out of re mix and with juggling work, family and band it can be a bit too time consuming. With a play along, it can save me hours of practice.

About 18 months (or so) ago I posted a you tube clip on BC praising the guy's skill etc. He was playing a red roadworn jazz.

Other BC'ers viewed it and offered comments and insights into the performance. As a result, I came away with a different point of view on the performance.
So one benefit of a you tube clip is the opportunity for the BC community to all view the same thing and collectively discuss.

How many of us can gain the same experience in other ways ?

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1400138523' post='2451023']
Seems embarrassed to be in front of the camera! It seems to be working for her, her videos get a lot of views, the fact that she is also quite attractive I'm sure has nothing to do with it!!!
[/quote]

sooooo embarrassed that she forgot she was wearing a wee skimpy top and squeezing her curvy bits sensuously against the curves of the bass :o

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1400138523' post='2451023']
To the OP, have you tried to audition for a band lately? A lot of bands won't even let you through the door for an audition without hearing some sort of recording these days, and when it is so easy and cheap for people to do, why not?
[/quote]

It's this whole reliance on YouTube/FaceBook/Soundcloud etc. thing that has made me become increasingly disinterested in playing music. Musicians seem to spend more time fannying about with this stuff more than anything else these days & I just have no interest in it whatsoever. If being a musician now means that all this stuff is essential then I'd rather just stop playing.