Why become a member? ×

When is a bass considered a "high end" bass?

Cameronj279

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1399896105' post='2448688']
I don't think it's anything to do with price, it's construction, choice of tone woods, attention to detail surely ?

A lot of older basses are quite valuable but not necessarily 'high end'.

Sei's are surely 'high end' basses, but don't seem to hold their price as well as something like a Fodera or a Wal. My Modulus is (to me) a high end bass, but again not as expensive as a Wal or a Fodera.
[/quote]

I agree with this quite a lot. I would consider the Warwick thumb LTD that I just traded a 'high' end bass but in comparison to the likes of Fodera, Ritter, Wal etc the value is a fraction.

Have put a few basses through my hands, but one of the finest basses I have played is the Jaydee Roadie Active. Hand made in the U.K. by John Diggins. Excellent craftsmanship, top class materials and great tone. For me this is high end, and it retails for £1255!.
Many of these high end basses are manufactured in the U.S. and though they might represent good value stateside, on this side of the pond they can work out very expensive.

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1399897043' post='2448701']
I guess that rules MTDs out, then:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmemaALCvac[/media]
[/quote]
[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1399897584' post='2448710']
And Mike Lulls:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh7tAHHB_zo[/media]

Or weren't they ruled in either?
[/quote]

Little bastards.

If you seriously want to know what constitutes a" high end" bass then what you are considering is a combination of craftsmanship, marketing strategy and psychology. It's a combination of those three elements.

It's about a certain degree of manufacturing excellence, the area of the market which a product is intended for , the overall perception of the brand and the associations that people make with their merchandise.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1399924765' post='2449086']
The real question is when is a bassist considered a high end player...
[/quote]

When the bassist doesn't play [i]that [/i]bit from 'The Chain' at every available opportunity. :P

Edited by discreet

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1399931622' post='2449200']
Thought I'd Google and see what the first thing was that came up:

"Appealing to sophisticated and discerning customers"
[/quote]

Or those with the illusion of the aforementioned, as the case may often be.

[quote name='Ziphoblat' timestamp='1399935856' post='2449243']Or those with the illusion of the aforementioned, as the case may often be.[/quote]

Taste is a funny thing, and I think most boutique basses are designed to appeal to your classic '80s cliche nouveau riche type. Overblown figured wood tops under ultra-high-gloss finishes, sometimes with a garish stain colour, often with gold hardware, they are basses for lottery winners. They would be at home with a fat ex-postman who's got a marble-lined swimming pool in his basement and a computer modulating the colours of the underwater lighting.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1399971186' post='2449378']
There seems to be quite a bit of resentment coming out in a few of the posts on this topic.

I'm closer to the end of my playing career than where I began. That fact alone makes me quite sad, but I have quite a few years ahead of me to enjoy yet.

I have a few basses, only a couple of which could be arguably considered high end. I don't consider them to be, but others might. None are custom to my spec, so I don't look at them that way. I have worked and played bloody hard over the years to earn the money to pay for what I have. I am considering ordering a Wal, which I guess some would consider "high end". I will pay for it outright with my own money, which I earned. It might have gold hardware. It might not. It might have a quilted maple top. It might have an ebony fingerboard. I don't know. I haven't decided yet. I know I'll have fun putting the finer details together if it happens and I know I'll enjoy playing it even more. I also know that I won't give a flying f*** what anyone thinks of me when I turn up down my local with it for a Saturday night pub gig.

I'm not a postman and I don't have a swimming pool.
[/quote]

I think the generalisations above have maybe caused a bit of offence, I agreed with the point of most high end bass owners being of a slightly more "mature" persuasion. That was merely due to the fact they are expensive.

I said it earlier more power to anyone who has earned the money to spend on things they like. Even more power to someone spending it on something hand made in the UK.

There seems to be quite a bit of resentment coming out in a few of the posts on this topic.

I'm closer to the end of my playing career than where I began. That fact alone makes me quite sad, but I have quite a few years ahead of me to enjoy yet.

I have a few basses, only a couple of which could be arguably considered high end. I don't consider them to be, but others might. None are custom to my spec, so I don't look at them that way. I have worked and played bloody hard over the years to earn the money to pay for what I have. I am considering ordering a Wal, which I guess some would consider "high end". I will pay for it outright with my own money, which I earned. It might have gold hardware. It might not. It might have a quilted maple top. It might have an ebony fingerboard. I don't know. I haven't decided yet. I know I'll have fun putting the finer details together if it happens and I know I'll enjoy playing it even more. I also know that I won't give a flying f*** what anyone thinks of me when I turn up down my local with it for a Saturday night pub gig.

[/quote]

+100000 :D

Why do people feel the need to clarify this anyway? Just play what you want to play, what you can afford (or not - it's none of my business if you are eating beans on toast every night because you bought a Fodera), when you like, how you like.

There would have been a time when I might have scoffed at someone taking a very expensive bass to an open mic like it's showing off or something, or playing really simple stuff on a rare or expensive bass but I've come to realise that basically it's none of my concern and I should be far more focussed upon what I do with my basses. Some might say that my playing is not worthy of the kind of basses I appear with. There's no need for anyone to give me a hand with the self-flagellation though, I'm more than capable of telling myself how many types of stupid each cock up is ;)

High end this, POS that. The player is the important part. I know a couple of fantastic players who run rings around me. One plays a Squier Precision Special, one plays a Yamaha RBX170. Does it really matter?

[/quote]

Yeah thats pretty much it really...

I am considering ordering a Wal, which I guess some would consider "high end". I will pay for it outright with my own money, which I earned. It might have gold hardware. It might not. It might have a quilted maple top. It might have an ebony fingerboard. I don't know. I haven't decided yet. ... I also know that I won't give a flying f*** what anyone thinks of me when I turn up down my local with it for a Saturday night pub gig.

[/quote]

I don't know why you're getting so angry about a hypothetical bass you might not even order.

For the record I really like Wals.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1399980629' post='2449515'] Really not understanding the resentment towards people owning expensive instruments. I figure if someone can afford something and they want it then why not. [/quote]

There is indeed quite a lot of that on this forum.

I don't know where it comes from but it's similar to the sort of inverted snobbery shown in many threads like "no one needs anything other than a Fender Precision" or "why would a bass player even *go* above the 12th fret?!".

There seem to be a lot of chips on a lot of shoulders here.

Cheers

Ed