Why become a member? ×

Bands - Greater Than The Sum Of Their Parts?

flyfisher

This post from another topic made me think . . . .

[i][quote name='risingson' timestamp='1398618781' post='2435799']
. . . . bands are the sum of many parts regardless of one individual's technical or theoretical level.
[/quote][/i]

[i]Indeed, and what better proof than The Beatles?[/i]

. . . can anyone think of examples where a successful band has split up and one (or more) of the members have gone on to become even more successful than the original band?

My first thought was the Peter Green incarnation of Fleetwood Mac that was reinvented as a 'west coast' band and hugely successful, but it's not really an example of one band member going on to a highly successful career.

My second thought was Phil Collins out of Genesis. It be argued that he was more successful than Genesis, in a 'top 10 pop' sort of way.

Any other suggestions?

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1398622043' post='2435870']
Eric Clapton
[/quote]

I thought about Clapton but I've never really thought of him being seriously in a band and always just 'passing through'. But now you mention it, there are quite a few musicians who have passed through the Bluesbreakers on the way to bigger things.

While Sam Hagar era Van Halen remained close to the top of the tree Dave Lee Roth hardly fell on his arse. The Beatles are an interesting one. Lennon and Macca as a songwriting team could have picked up two tramps off a park bench and been massive. I do think , though , that even on the most basic musical level bands are more than the sum of the parts. I can play a note while our guitarist plays a chord and the result is a noise neither of us could make alone. It's that simple. It's good to play with others , think about what they're doing and put your spin on it. - then they react to that , and on it goes.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1398629208' post='2436028']
Ozzy ? Lemmy?
[/quote]
Bugger, I was going to say Lemmy. Can't think of anyone else.

Mind you, I am rather guilty of never really thinking about individual band members, I can't even name the members of even my favourite bands, unless they're really obvious like Lemmy, Till Lindemann or Dani Filth. There are bands that I absolutely adore that I can't name a single member of.