Why become a member? ×

String Change Time.....

Number6

sorry to be the Rotosound negative guy, but i really don't like them. i think they are cheap, and don't last very long.lots of hype, but nothing quality about any string they have ever made. I'm not going to bang on about my favourite string. ok DR's. they last forever, and they sound awesome. yes they are expensive, but they are so worth it, no matter your preference.

Edited by bubinga5

Depending on your musical preferences, I'd say go for flatwounds.
I'm using D'Addario Chromes just now which are quite bright still for flats, but my favourites are the Tomastik Infeld Jazz.
I was weary of making the change, but I did 4 years ago & I'm confident that I'll always be a flatwounds player (unless the music calls for the zing of rounds).

I'm using D'Addario Prosteels on all my bases at the moment, they do everything I'm looking for.

Warm and bright without being tinny and clanky.

Depends what sort of sound you are looking for though, different strings drastically alter your tone, it's a very personal choice.

Strings are as much a part of your sound as your bass and your amp, worth trying a few to find what suits you best.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1396225365' post='2411223']
Time to change strings on an old Ibanez bass.....i've used Rotosound since i began playing so fancy a change.....what d'ya reckon i should put on there? Seems like it should be easy to decide.....but i can't lol
[/quote]

What do you like about your current strings?

What don't you like about your current strings?

What kind of sound do you like?

What kind of stuff do you play?

...etc. :-)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1396249107' post='2411274']

What do you like about your current strings?

What don't you like about your current strings?

In essence really i don't have a preference......i have just always used Roto's because......well because i have. I play rock music and don't hold particular allegiance to any string just fancied a change but with such wide choice thought i'd put feelers for a few ideas.

clearly it's an individual thing but as it was time for a full strip down and rebuild of this particular bass (long overdue) see it as the opportune time.

What kind of sound do you like?

What kind of stuff do you play?

...etc. :-)
[/quote]

Edited by Number6

I had Ernie Ball strings break on me or go dead within a fortnight.

Love DRs! I use their DDTs in near-standard tuning. The lo-riders I used to use are good too, but I found the hi-beams too zingy. Not enough clout.

String choice is an incredibly personal thing. The only way you are going to find what you like is by trying for yourself. The only useful thing that comes from these threads is a list of stings for you to try. For instance there are already more than a couple of recommendations for DR Strings, however I found them all horrible. As I said it's personal. here's two more to add to your list - La Bella Steels and Warwick Red Label.

I've posted this before but I've been using these on all my regularly gigged basses for the last year or so; [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-prices-Coban-Guitars-Bass-Guitar-Strings-45-105-Range-from-1-to-6-sets-/151063936837?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&var=&hash=item232c1cbf45#ht_3856wt_1135"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-prices-Coban-Guitars-Bass-Guitar-Strings-45-105-Range-from-1-to-6-sets-/151063936837?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&var=&hash=item232c1cbf45#ht_3856wt_1135[/url] Sound like every other stainless steel roundwounds I've used but at a fraction of the price, can afford to change them after 6 months even if they don't really need it. Not had a duff set yet. Buy six packs at a time and they cost less than a fiver per set. Absurdly good value.

Edited by KevB

Yup, as bigredx said, it's very personal thing and it also depends very much on the bass you are using.

I've recently gone back to rotos... I switched my main bass from a headless 4 string to a standard 5 string (an Ibanez) after many years, and I found pretty much all the other brands were just too floppy for me.

Personally I think the rotos sound great - I've had them on a couple of months and they haven't died on me yet...it's an expensive journey though. Might be worth trying to pick up some slightly used strings on here to save yourself some wonga?

Have you always used the Rotosound stainless steel roundwounds? If so then you'll find their nickel rounds are somewhat mellower/darker in sound than the steels and have a nicer feel (the nickels with the blue silks are better than the unsilked Rotobass so you might try the RS 66LDN set).

Best Bass Gear ran a survey recently on peeps string preference. Two manufacturers seemed to be clear favourites, DR and [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]D'Addario. As Bubinga and others have mentioned earlier, they do seem to last a while longer before starting to sound dull, which was also a common response on the survey.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I use DR Lowriders on all basses, they are not the cheapest for sure, but they do last longer.[/font][/color]