Why become a member? ×

Music you grew up with.?

bubinga5

Mum and Dad were into Kate Bush, Elkie Brooks, Gerry Rafferty and stuff like that, although Dad discovered a band called INKSIES when he was in his 60's.
It took a while to realise that he was raving about a band called INXS. :)

So, things were a bit back to front in my family - Mum and Dad liked modern stuff whilst I was into Fairport Convention, Steeleye Span and so forth.

hmm, for me it is everything from the late 70ies when I started to really listen to music until today. I'm still growing up, you know B)
but even if I have a wide variety most influences came from ac/dc, prince, incognito, david sanborn, miles davis, allen holdsworth and quite a few others...

My parents, mostly my mum, listened to Frank Sinatra, Sacha Distel, Johnny Mathis, Burt Bacharach, Herb Alpert, and musical and film soundtracks such as Paint Your Wagon. But equally important for me were TV theme tunes, such as those for the Gerry Anderson series (eg. Stingray, Thunderbirds, UFO) and the likes of Mission Impossible and The Man From Uncle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwBW7EKfBac

Both parents either played in their own (semi pro) bands or managed bands / musicians. Accordingly I grew up with their preferred styles being Trad Jazz or Blues. Music was always on either on a stereo or a band rehearsal in the basement. I was taken to many concerts from a young age too.

I've always considered my self lucky, but then everybody thinks that I suppose, I was just getting interested in music when the Beatles issued Please Please Me, then I had Hendrix coming along, and finally when I was getting fed up and had stopped buying records Punk hit and restored my faith in Rock and Roll.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1394301276' post='2390108']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIy1rOb8EYU[/media]
[/quote]

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be... I was in a terrible cover band that played a version of this to pre-pubescent girls.
Try doing that today, you'd be hounded out of town as a paedo! Though I was 14 at the time, so...

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1394301276' post='2390108']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIy1rOb8EYU[/media] i did dude.
[/quote]
Somebody will correct me but I wonder why this hasn't been redone by a boy band. The Take That's of this world could have a smash with this one. Good pop song, I think. I might mess with it and get it in the set. It could easily turn into 'can't smile with out you' half way through..... bang it out like Green Day - job done !

My parents brought me up with Bach, Beethoven and Brahms forst and foremost.
They despised pop and rock music, and I had to find those myself, which I didn't do before say '68, at age 12 or so.

I'm grateful though, as it must have given me a set of good ears.

Edited by BassTractor

My dad was into Rock, Fusion and Blues. My Mum was into Kate Bush, Jacko, all pop really.

So i grew up listening to [media]http://youtu.be/VFqPMzFV5fM[/media]

And
http://youtu.be/wp43OdtAAkM

Pretty much my taste in music today exists between all this.

Edited by Lord Sausage

My dad use to play lots of Val Doonican, Nana Mouskouri, Roy Orbison and Travelling Wilburys, amongst others. Mum liked Cliff Richard and Culture Club.

I grew up rebelling against all that with Iron Maiden, then Metallica and Slayer. After which I took a lateral jaunt into Beastie Boys, followed by early house (Bomb the Bass, S-Express, etc), rave music, techno and jungle.

I now dress like Val Doonican and listen to mostly electronica and hip hop.

Go figure.

My father liked a fairly wide mix of music, bearing in mind he grew up in the dance band era: Bing Crosby, Guy Lombardo, Django Reinhart, Stéphane Grappelli, Fats Waller, Gershwin, trad jazz bands like Terry Lightfoot and Chris Barber.

He had a Pye Golden Guinea LP which one side had "Rhapsody in Blue", and on the other side "Symphony for Blues", by Joseph Kuhn. I found out later that Kuhn was a record company arranger and had disappeared into obscurity. Now I've found the recording on Youtube. It still makes hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE2Sm8gbLoI

Edited by spinynorman

Back then, like now I suppose, primary school kids hung around in gangs, but with none of the modern day implications.
To belong as a lad of 10 or 11 in 1972/3 you "had" to like Slade. I got their GH album "Sladest" for Xmas in '73. You got real cred at school if you'd actually seen them.
My Mum encouraged liking Slade, my dad was into Don Williams & Johnny Cash. He had a habit of singing the opening line to one of their songs, hum the rest for a few minutes, stop for a while then start over.
Girls liked Marc Bolan, Cassidy or The Osmonds.
First concert I went to was Slade in 1973, and 1974 & 5. Then I saw Quo and Nazareth with my sister.

I grew up listening to rock music. Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath that kinda thing.

For me though it was my brother instead of my parents who introduced me to music. He got the rock thing from my Dad and then expanded that into bands like In Flames and Slipknot etc. He also had N.W.A albums which I would pretend to enjoy. Now though, I can't stand Slipknot and In Flames, where as I could listen to N.W.A.

I mainly listen to soul and funk at the minute. Found so many more artists through the threads on here so.. thanks bubinga you've given me so much more to listen to! :D

And everyone else obviously :)

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1394300258' post='2390086']
So nobody listened to Mud, Bay City Rollers or David Cassidy...
[/quote]
Mud were OK. I hated the Rollers, could hear nothing in Cassidy.
David Essex' 'Lamplight' blew my socks off.

My parents gave me Vivaldi, Bach, Beethoven, Shostakovich, and the Weavers. Holst I got from my primary school. Yes and Hawkwind and The Doors came from people at secondary school. Most of the rest comes from John Peel.

Two distinct phases, firstly the late 60's early 70's when I had no control over what I listened to, and then the mid 70's onwards when I could buy and listen to what I chose to.
From the first phase, Dione Warwick, Shirley Bassey, Tom Jones, Bill Haley, Mantovani, Acker Bilk, Musicals, Jim Reeves (cheers grandma) and Bach and Beethoven courtesy of my piano playing brother.
When I could choose, Hendrix, Stanley Clark, Weather Report, Punk, Reggae (African Dub, I-Roy, U-Roy, Gladiators) Bowie, Soft Machine, Cream.