Why become a member? ×

Any smiths fans?

gub

Well need to try and get as close as I can to Andy roukes bass tone, we are covering the headmaster ritual , really need to do it justice, as have always admired his playing, each one is like a symphony in itself !

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/46791-andy-rourkebass-hero/page__view__findpost__p__622970__hl__andy+rourke__fromsearch__1"]Andy Rourke...Bass Hero[/url]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/116175-the-smiths/page__view__findpost__p__1070421__hl__andy+rourke__fromsearch__1"]The Smiths..[/url]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/198970-the-smiths-bass-player/page__view__findpost__p__1968824__hl__andy+rourke__fromsearch__1"]The Smiths Bass Player[/url]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/177253-possible-the-smiths-bass-book/page__hl__andy+rourke__fromsearch__1"]Possible The Smiths Bass Book[/url]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/117474-this-charming-man/page__view__findpost__p__1080436__hl__andy+rourke__fromsearch__1"]This charming man[/url]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/116175-the-smiths/page__view__findpost__p__1070421__hl__andy+rourke__fromsearch__1"]The Smiths..[/url]

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1394136811' post='2388410']
MB1.
..."Charlton Heston put his vest on!"
[/quote]

Probably a bulletproof vest.

No big mystery as to how Andy Rourke got such a great sound with The Smiths.

Like Witterth says, a nice Precision Bass with the tone up full, amp set fairly flat, fresh strings ( Rotosound RS66 or similarly bright stainless steels would be a good choice) and a pick will get you into that territory.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1394179572' post='2388676'] I love The Smiths. I can't understand why anyone wouldn't! [/quote]

I can. Morrisey's voice. Ruins every thing he attempts to sing on for me. Otherwise I might have liked a few Smiths tunes, in fact I'm looking at This Charming Man to put in the band's set. I can also recall the types of people who liked The Smiths when I was at college in the early to mid 80's. Shouldn't condemn a band by their fans of course but sometimes...

I too cannot stand Morrisey's voice - and I think that this was what stopped me even listening to the music. His depressing, tuneless and audience unaware approach, plus his odd behaviour runnier the entire band for me. He came to the theatre I run - his Tour Manager asked if I would mind keeping my back to the stage when he was on, because he didn't like eye contact with strangers. I suggested that perhaps this would be the best time for me to go and make use of the excellent catering he insisted on. So while Morrisey was 'performing' I was eating, but at the end - during the last number I tried to get back up to the stage to turn on the house lighting - my one show task, but security wouldn't let me "because I might bump into the band coming off stage". I tried to explain that I wouldn't recognise any of them anyway - but the audience had to wait in the dark until the dressing room doors were shut! The entire day was probably one of the worst gigs I've had to work on. Don't even get me started on 80 white bath towels, brand new toilet seat and all the meat products restrictions. The Smiths might be good, but would have been better if they had dumped the dreary depressed fool who fronted them and got somebody who could sing and had an ego 1000 time smaller!

See, Morrissey might be a twat but lyrically and vocally what he does in The Smiths is unmitigated genius as far as I'm concerned. People keep telling me they don't like him but my brain cannot comprehend that concept. Its a bit like saying "there are no foods that I like" or "I don't like reading". I mean, sure, you can think that if you like...but, what???

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1394184054' post='2388739']
See, Morrissey might be a twat but lyrically and vocally what he does in The Smiths is unmitigated genius as far as I'm concerned. People keep telling me they don't like him but my brain cannot comprehend that concept. Its a bit like saying "there are no foods that I like" or "I don't like reading". I mean, sure, you can think that if you like...but, what???
[/quote]

+1

[/quote]
Yup.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1394183210' post='2388730']
I can. Morrisey's voice. Ruins every thing he attempts to sing on for me. Otherwise I might have liked a few Smiths tunes, in fact I'm looking at This Charming Man to put in the band's set. I can also recall the types of people who liked The Smiths when I was at college in the early to mid 80's. Shouldn't condemn a band by their fans of course but sometimes...
[/quote]

I can also recall the typical Smiths fans from the mid/late 80's... even the Goths hated them. :lol:

I wasn't an early adopter of the Smiths, and it is true the typical fan type of red bomber jacket doc Martin wearing bespectacled tragedian did tend to get up ones nose.
However, when they all moved on to the Housemartins and Bronski beat the way was clear for better scrutiny and they came out well.
Morrissey is indeed an emotion inducing personage, but that's exactly what I thought frontmen in bands ought to be and still do.
Sadly, they've all disappeared and been replaced by melodine adjusted clothes horses which as Morrissey once said,
"No,it's lock jawed pop stars thicker than pigshit,nothing to convey..
They're so scared to show intelligence,
It might smear their lovely career"

Def a twat though.
;)

Its a bit like saying "there are no foods that I like" or "I don't like reading".
[/quote]

Ironically, both those statements are exactly the kind of sound bites that Morrissey comes up with! :lol:

I can remember vividly when The Smiths came on the scene and it really was one of those " what the f*** was that?" moments for most people. Whether you liked them or not, you couldn't help but notice them and their startling originality. Even before they became a cult , they were a genuine phenomena that seemed to come out of nowhere.

As for Andy Rourke and his sound, it helped that Andy was a superb bass player with a great feel for music who really knew how to drive the band along with his melodic and inventive lines that were the perfect counterpoint to Johnny Marr's guitar parts .You can't imagine the music of The Smiths without his trebley, loud-in -the-mix bass parts any more than you can imagine The Who without John Entwistle or The Beatles without Paul McCartney's signature basslines. .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1394187694' post='2388833']
I wasn't an early adopter of the Smiths, and it is true the typical fan type of red bomber jacket doc Martin wearing bespectacled tragedian did tend to get up ones nose.
However, when they all moved on to the Housemartins and Bronski beat the way was clear for better scrutiny and they came out well.
Morrissey is indeed an emotion inducing personage, but that's exactly what I thought frontmen in bands ought to be and still do.
Sadly, they've all disappeared and been replaced by melodine adjusted clothes horses which as Morrissey once said,
"No,it's lock jawed pop stars thicker than pigshit,nothing to convey..
They're so scared to show intelligence,
It might smear their lovely career"

Def a twat though.
;)
[/quote]

All of this. It's 100% true.

I like the smiths after the event, but not at the time.

Listening back to it there are some great songs, but it is not a morissey thing, as his solo stuff has been rather dull. I assume it is one of those 'sum of the parts greater than the individuals' sort of groups.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1394218149' post='2389314']
I like the smiths after the event, but not at the time.

[/quote] this. i really enjoy there music now. hated it at the time, can't think why to be honest. just hadn't grown up i guess.

Edited by bubinga5