Why become a member? ×

Disco hurts.

gary mac

I'm actually suffering physical pain playing disco stuff :).

Last week we introduced Donna Summer's Hot Stuff in to our set. This is the first tune in years that has caused me any grief. It must be the galloping along pace, coupled with all the octaving. My hand feels like it's contracting in to a claw and the cramp starts in my forearm.

I'm really not sure whether to persevere with it or come up with an alternative bass line.

Additionally, I mostly play with a pick but this is one of the few tunes that I can't play efficiently with my trusty plectrum. I'm finding it works better with thumb and third finger, although I do lose a little volume.

yes i used to play this one too as 'p_im' instead of 'i_im'and they used to cause same problem - not sure what ive done but ive managed to get myt technique somewhere now whereby it is easier to play so much so that i often wonder what all the effort was about

i think the key to this type of thing is that it should not be strenuous - imho and from my own experience if you are using too much effort and ending up with a forearm like popeye then it is most likely technique that needs adjusting - the difference in technique is quite subtle for me and i am struggling to put in words exactly what i have done to remedy this but i do know that my technique has changed to make these type of lines more manageable :)

edit - the main thing i can think of is is the mental attitude to the timing - i think that i always used to play this as if i was 'reacting' to the tempo, the mental mindset leaves you feeling like you are constantly just behind the beat and always putting in that extra effort to stay up there on the beat - i do think that i have changed my perception of the timing slightly so that now my thinking part of my brain is trying to be ready in anticipation before the beat so that im there on the beat with minimal effort - i know this sounds a bit vague and tenuous but for me this is the main improvement i have made as my physical playing style hasnt really changed a great deal in the last two years apart from growing slightly more economic

Edited by steve-bbb

I'd say that the key to playing repetitive lines is to keep at it (practice at slower speeds and build up your speed and stamina) and also try to relax so that you can play with a lighter touch, both with your fretting hand as well as your plucking hand.

I'm having to learn 'Don't Stop Moving' for an upcoming show and had the same issues when I started playing it, but it's all good now.

Cheers, Pete.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1393921818' post='2385737']
i think that i always used to play this as if i was 'reacting' to the tempo, the mental mindset leaves you feeling like you are constantly just behind the beat and always putting in that extra effort to stay up there on the beat - i do think that i have changed my perception of the timing slightly so that now my thinking part of my brain is trying to be ready in anticipation before the beat so that im there on the beat with minimal effort - i know this sounds a bit vague and tenuous but for me this is the main improvement i have made as my physical playing style hasnt really changed a great deal in the last two years apart from growing slightly more economic
[/quote]

Not vague at all - I can see exactly where you're coming from on that.

It's the octaves - I get it. We've been doing a manic version of spirit in the sky that morphs into a crazed , foul mouthed version of my coo ca choo in the middle. Octaves all over the shop and it hurts like chuff. My fretting fingers cramp up and my hands sweat like Ken Barlow when the verdict comes in. I even have to take my scabby old fingerless gloves off to do it. It's a stunt - I know - but in the middle I often take my left hand off and do any open string octaves by tapping with my right while I have a slurp of my ' Bollockthwaites XXX Awd Northern Bastard' with my left. I first did it just for the easy pose but it don't half give my fretting hand enough respite to de-cramp. My advice is my motto - when in doubt , cheat !

We play Hollywood Nights which is an even faster, relentless octave bass line. It used to kill me but my view was it’s a great line for the number and I should be able to play it, so I’m bloody well going to!

All I can say is, relax and don't think about what you're playing, breath, play with the neck of the bass raised, that put's your wrist and hand at a better angle for the octave stretch, and just practice until you can play it right.

Go out and buy Chic's greatest hits, and learn the lines inside out...concentrating on 'everybody dance'....
That is a great track to vary how you approach these lines...
You can double thumb it or just 1st and second finger which is more the handful...
Anyway, after nailing that.... galloping octaves are so much easier...

This is where a clenched tense approach to playing kills you...but that would be a MAJOR MAJOR technique shift.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1393921225' post='2385730']
I'm actually suffering physical pain playing disco stuff :).

Last week we introduced Donna Summer's Hot Stuff in to our set. This is the first tune in years that has caused me any grief. It must be the galloping along pace, coupled with all the octaving. My hand feels like it's contracting in to a claw and the cramp starts in my forearm.

[/quote]
For plucking, I use thumb, plus two fingers in a clawhammer technique to get the triplets also. Works really well and no cramp.

As JTUK says.... go listen to Bernie E play on the Chic numbers... great tunes to practice too....

It can be painful in the beginning just don't over do it.... otherwise you'll end up with a dodgy hand.

one of my faves to play with the octave bounce is Canned Heat by Jamiroquai

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1394005667' post='2386713']
This is where a clenched tense approach to playing kills you...but that would be a MAJOR MAJOR technique shift.
[/quote]
[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1394006412' post='2386719']
The trick is to completely relax the fretting hand to the extent where I just lay all four fingers across the fretboard and you would be hard pushed to tell what is being fretted.
[/quote]

+1