Why become a member? ×

Should the bass player be on the left...looking at the band?

iconic

Prefer stage right with a right sided drummer, as favoured by Billy Sheehan and many other hard rock bass players – allows you to hear / feel the bass drum better.

Conventional wisdom these days seems to insist that you should set up on the hi-hat side...

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1391634502' post='2359653']
This might help. :)

Somewhere between stage left and left centre and downstage for me. :)
[/quote]

Hence the term 'upstage', as in 'to upstage somebody' (so that the person downstage has to turn their back on the audience to address you directly).

Oh, and downstage right centre (ish) for me with guitar or bass, because I'm, um, Lefthanded.

Edited by leftybassman392

Never really thought about it but looking at photos from years ago I was usually stage right. Could end up any side if the headliners bassist kindly offered me the use of his rig for the gig though.
One gig at the Marquee with The Grip the singer and guitar player insisted they have more room than me. I missed out on using Willies' SVT and 8x10 stack. Yeah, whatever guys.
One thing I realised is that most of the singers did stay well out of my way. I was using a set of bass pedals a lot of the time and lots of backing vocals so they knew I wouldn't be watching them if they got too close

For my bass playing, it all depended on the lead player I was backing. If the lead player was right handed, I would usually stand stage left, to his left, so he could look over to me easier while playing, if he needed to communicate something while playing. Left handed player, just the opposite.