Why become a member? ×

The "whatever" club

Fionn

Something that I've noticed over on Talkbass, when I'm trawling there for whatever reason, is that they have "clubs" for groupings of people who own or use a particular product. You know "Gallien-Krueger Club", "Fender Precision Club", etc, etc. Folk then fall into these categories as club members.

Now, I reckon this is a good thing. Not as some vanity excercise to show-off what amazing gear you've got, but as a means for networking and more targeted problem solving and opinion sharing within our sub-culture bass interest groups. For example, I would personally find it very handy to post a question about an obscure 1980's Aria pot on a thread that was followed by all of Basschats Aria SB players. Sometimes specifics get lost in the morass.

I know that lots of us on here list their gear in their signature. I do this, because when I'm (or other folk are) posting about anything, there's a bit of an insight into where they're coming from. Maybe a more structured breakdown would be beneficial?

What do folk reckon?

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1387119231' post='2308333']
How about a Barefaced club?

:)
[/quote]

Throwing a foam party?

I don't think the suggestion was to have separate forums, mind. Was wondering if this was something you might use the forum tags for, to highlight topics on specific makes or models. Just thinking out loud.

I'd assumed the TB clubs were a vanity thing, but I can see how they might be useful.

I have to say that whenever I sought assistance from the BC hive it has been supplied in abundance. I do think the gear in members sigs is a useful indication as to that person's background too though.

Having said that it is quite amusing when you do a search on a particular topic and come across a bunch of posts about a bass saying 'it's a keeper' etc. how often the bass in question is no longer in the sig :)

I was just thinking today how annoying the "club" thing on talkbass was lol. Each to their own though, just not my cup of tea...yes, it seems a bit twee. I can see your point though about a thread to glean useful information from other users with the same or similar gear. I have done this in the past with Wal bass forums when the company was in the wilderness. As someone else mentioned though, once you start going down that road, where does it end? Would you end up with the "Tortex 73mm plectrum club" - some of the TB ones aren't far off this imo.

Edited by Mokl

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1387119548' post='2308338']

I don't think the suggestion was to have separate forums, mind. Was wondering if this was something you might use the forum tags for, to highlight topics on specific makes or models. Just thinking out loud.

I'd assumed the TB clubs were a vanity thing, but I can see how they might be useful.
[/quote]

This is the thinking, as a means to more specified and targeted information sharing. That's all.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1387119746' post='2308344']
I have to say that whenever I sought assistance from the BC hive it has been supplied in abundance. I do think the gear in members sigs is a useful indication as to that person's background too though.
[/quote]

I've had lots of invaluable help here, although I'm certain that my questions haven't necessarily reached as many of the right folk (potentially) as they could have in certain incidences, despite those folk being on the forum. I mean people who have (or have had) a working knowledge of a particular product. No harm can be done by the provision of additional framework which supports specific sub-genre information sharing, that's all.

Gear listings are an insight, in that you can get a certain impression of the sound a person is trying to achieve (or achiving), their taste in instruments, etc. I often find that helpful when considering a point or question that someone is presenting.

I think it's a good idea. Even as a non-participant, I've found 'Owners Clubs / Threads' to be exceptionally useful both for technical stuff and for gauging views about certain products prior to purchasing them. Also handy when it comes to product iterations, changes, etc.

Certainly, as with any gear thread, there may be a plethora of 'OMG - it's awesome' posts, but this is usually offset by informed opinion. As for allegations of 'elitisim' or 'exclusiveness', a forum just for bass players might be adjudged by the uninformed netizen to be a twee clique.

We don't need any more subforums. But an initial post and a polite request to pin it would suffice.

I would urge anyone who wants a brand-specific thread to start one. It's a free forum. Those who abhor such threads may simply ignore them. :)

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Mokl' timestamp='1387124914' post='2308424']
I was just thinking today how annoying the "club" thing on talkbass was lol. Each to their own though, just not my cup of tea...yes, it seems a bit twee. I can see your point though about a thread to glean useful information from other users with the same or similar gear. I have done this in the past with Wal bass forums when the company was in the wilderness. As someone else mentioned though, once you start going down that road, where does it end? Would you end up with the "Tortex 73mm plectrum club" - some of the TB ones aren't far off this imo.
[/quote]

Ok, forget the "club" moniker (aye, it gets twee). My point is about something more than that.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1387125551' post='2308430']
I think it's a good idea. Even as a non-participant, I've found 'Owners Clubs / Threads' to be exceptionally useful both for technical stuff and for gauging views about certain products prior to purchasing them. Also handy when it comes to product iterations, changes, etc.

Certainly, as with any gear thread, there may be a plethora of 'OMG - it's awesome' posts, but this is usually offset by informed opinion. As for allegations of 'elitisim' or 'exclusiveness', a forum just for bass players might be adjudged by the uninformed netizen to be a twee clique.

We don't need any more subforums. But an initial post and a polite request to pin it would suffice.

I would urge anyone who wants a brand-specific thread to start one. It's a free forum. Those who abhor such threads may simply ignore them. :)

[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[/quote]

As usual Skank, I agree.

And may I congratulate you on what a wonderful piece of poetry your last paragraph is? ;)

[quote name='John Schoen' timestamp='1387130151' post='2308483']
I am not a fan of the clubs onTalkbass. Fine if it fits in with your herding instinct, but in general those threads become so long that it is next to impossible to find the information that you need in them. I rather have it in bite-sized chunks as it is over here. :)
[/quote]

This exactly.

I pop over to TB occasionally and have never felt inclined to even open a thread running to 50 pages and in it's 5th incarnation, even if it's a subject of interest (i.e. I own the bass in question). And I really don't understand the need to be numbered as a part of the 'club'. So I'm firmly with Groucho on this one.

I would have thought if a thread has legs it'll run anyway, but if the OP wants to do something along these lines, feel free. :)

When I used to be on TB I thought it was good, but tbh I think if you want an opinion before buying an item, there maybe folk who can give good info who're not "in the club".

Also, most technical stuff may crossover from one make to another. EG, if you've got a question on a G&L, then a Fender owner would prob have the answer too, or even just someone who knows about instruments generally.

So, I'm happy to be in the "BC" club, thanks.