Why become a member? ×

Guitar and Bass Smashing.

Mr Stinky

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1386085010' post='2295509']
Notice the headstock on the first strat. It's a hondo or something? Once he smashes it, he then is given the proper one to finish the song with.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2miLo3hbEZE[/media]
[/quote]

What i take from that is the Hondo sounded fantastic, who needs expensive guitars?

Notice the headstock on the first strat. It's a hondo or something? Once he smashes it, he then is given the proper one to finish the song with.

[/quote]

Steve Vai used to do the same... swap his Jem for a cheapo RG, smash it up then pick up the Jem again... the broken guitars would be rebuilt between shows.

Um, I've done it once and learnt my lesson. Despite having seen a bass player from a few years above me at school windmill his bass & just smash his brand new Nady wireless system, leaving his £30 bass in immaculate condition I had a disasterous drunken gig in '94 where [b]my[/b] band trashed their kit. My guitarist snapped his Les Paul in half and pushed it through a lighting rig. This was fixed for a bottle of whiskey. I took my pride and joy and kicked it around the stage. All I did was chip the nut, look like a prat and then have to go cap in hand to my parents as I was too skint to afford the repair. Rock 'n' Roll indeed! I don't do it these days simply because I quickly got wise to the fact that all the big acts were walking offstage and coming back with cheap instruments.

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1386085397' post='2295517']
Steve Vai used to do the same... swap his Jem for a cheapo RG, smash it up then pick up the Jem again... the broken guitars would be rebuilt between shows.
[/quote]

Not so for Paul Simonon of the Clash. If you look at the front cover of London's Calling, that's an actual vintage P bass. The cheap copy was waiting in the wings but he got caught up in the moment... :facepalm:

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1386083887' post='2295488']
Richie Blackmore used to swap his strat for a cheapo woolworths special before sacrificing it on the alter of Rock 'N' Roll and the [b]Marshall stacks he used to destroy were made of cardboard.[/b] It was all just pantomime for the teenage boys in the front row.

I hope this bit of inside information has calmed you down.
[/quote]

But....but.....those cardboard boxes could have provided somebody with a temporary storage facility! Outrageous!

[quote name='iamtheelvy' timestamp='1386086261' post='2295526']
Not so for Paul Simonon of the Clash. If you look at the front cover of London's Calling, that's an actual vintage P bass. The cheap copy was waiting in the wings but he got caught up in the moment... :facepalm:
[/quote]

It wasn't actually "vintage" at the time though. Just another Fender bass.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2miLo3hbEZE[/media]
[/quote]

R.I.P. R.J.D.

[quote name='Mr Stinky' timestamp='1386080542' post='2295426']...When i see 'stars' wreck their guitars and gear, it really turns my stomach and makes me feel physically ill...[/quote]

You'll not be 'liking' this, then... :mellow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No0xDPFoMq8

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1386083025' post='2295474']
:)

I would suggest the numbers of instruments wilfully destroyed each year is minuscule.
[/quote]

unless some of these bands rehearse it, not totally out of the question these days with how contrived some performances are

[quote name='Mr Stinky' timestamp='1386080542' post='2295426']
I really need to vent my spleen on this subject. I realise there are going to be vastly different outlooks on this and I'll do my best not to turn BC into a session with a shrink.

When i see 'stars' wreck their guitars and gear, it really turns my stomach and makes me feel physically ill.
My first recollection was when i went to see Rainbow at the old Southampton Gaumont. It was a great gig until Blackmore rammed his strat. into the speakers and went nuts, smashing it into as many bits as he could. I remember thinking what an arsehole. If he disliked his guitar so much, why not just give it to someone in the audience that would be grateful for it. Or a school!
I never followed The Who, but they're a topic in themselves.

I can think of load of bands and players that i've liked over the years, only to be put off by the on-stage antics.
Kiss
NIrvana
Twisted Sister
Motley Crue
Greenday
Foo Fighters
Ygwie
even Metallica.

The drummer in Greenday for instance....not only does he kick his kit over, he uses the stands to make sure he splits all the shells so there's no way they can ever be played again. It makes me feel like smacking him in the face a few times. How many kids in the audience does he think would rather see the kit destroyed rather than have it given to them.

I'm wondering wether its just a display of arrogance and the fact that they can afford to buy replacments.
I realise that there is the chain of thought that a guitar/bass is just a lump of wood with some electrical bits or the fact that once you buy an instrument, its yours to do whatever you want with it.
I guess i'm a little more 'romantic' for want of a better word. When a guitar is completed and turned on for the first time, it has life and becomes a living thing with a soul.

That's my say on the matter, i'll be interested to see how this topic progresses. It's something that's troubled me for many years, pehaps one of you learned chaps or chapesses could explain it all to me.
[/quote]

I had stern words with that Cobain chap at an early in their career gig in Bristol along the lines of "If you don't want that left handed Jaguar I'll have it mate" shortly after he chucked it up in the air and let it crash onto the stage ( without it breaking) . He responded by pretending to be asleep.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1386089130' post='2295574']
unless some of these bands rehearse it, not totally out of the question these days with how contrived some performances are
[/quote]
Indeed. I can't help but feel the whole thing is a bit trite nowadays, especially when done by a few of of the artists listed in the OP who have not been truly rebellious or edgy for some years.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1386083887' post='2295488']
Richie Blackmore used to swap his strat for a cheapo woolworths special before sacrificing it on the alter of Rock 'N' Roll and the Marshall stacks he used to destroy were made of cardboard. It was all just pantomime for the teenage boys in the front row.

I hope this bit of inside information has calmed you down.
[/quote]

How ironic! :)

I have litterally done a blog post about Ritchie Blackmore!!! :blink: :blink: :blink:

Read this and you'll see that in the day, he went for it with the [i]real thing.[/i]

Those of a nervous disposition, look away - lot's of smashing[i] - some [/i]with
No Name Makes, but not always!!

[url="http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/ritchie-blackmores-pick-ups.html"]http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/ritchie-blackmores-pick-ups.html[/url]

Cheers. :)

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1386086714' post='2295531']
But....but.....those cardboard boxes could have provided somebody with a temporary storage facility! Outrageous!
[/quote]

In my opinion, once a cardboard box is assembled, with some brown tape used across the bottom to make it secure, then it's a living thing, with a soul.

S.P.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1386082180' post='2295457']
Why don't you relax a bit, go and have a glass of milk and a sandwich or summat. The world can be a horrible place, there are much more important issues to die young of stress about. Boiling live animals to death for dinner so certain Chinese people can get a better boner, female genital mutilation in Africa, child abuse in Daventry, why Tom Daley's sexuality still has the power to shock some people, why many American states are fascist theocracies. Will that do?
[/quote]

I don't see why this should be an "or" story instead of an "and" story. The fact that it bothers me that someone smashes up gear doesn't exclude the fact that I'm not putting intrest in other stupid things. It's hard to be selective when it comes down to human behaviour and it should be an individual choice what someone thinks is important. I'll have that sandwich now.

I've done it a couple of times over the years and it's cost me a fortune. The price to pay for idiocy. It was never pre planned or thought isn't this cool. I was just usually off my tits, raged up on adrenalin and did it. Always half regretted when sober but it was good fun enjoyed i at the time. Surely that's what life's about, To become old and wise you must first be young and stupid!

Edited by Lord Sausage

[quote name='FlatEric' timestamp='1386090085' post='2295599']
How ironic! :) I have litterally done a blog post about Ritchie Blackmore!!! :blink: :blink: :blink:[/quote]

Thank you for a most enlightening and entertaining blog post. Nice work, Sir.

As for guitar trashing, I'm not opposed in principle - people can do whatever they like with their own property and after all, it's only a bit of wood and metal. As for destructive onstage mayhem, few have surpassed the late Ms Wendy O Williams (NSFW)

[size=3]Rare 'not topless' performance: Wendy chainsaws an Explorer[/size]

Edited by skankdelvar