Why become a member? ×

Please help me choose what to sell in a hurry

BassTractor

First a disclaimer:
This is no cheeky ad or attempt at selling under the table. This stuff will only be available to people in Norway. Also, I think I've paid my dues as to BC through large donations. Heck, I'll pay the 20 quid fee right now - just for the sake of it.

Point is I've collected bass gear for two years now. On January 1st, I will close down my bizniz, and I was looking forward to years with comparing and experimenting with all that gear once I'm free.
Sadly the sudden illness and probable imminent death of my father means I need money right now, and need to sell stuff in a hurry before even having tried most of it.

As a result I ask you to help me find the gear that is the worst and/or least interesting and/or easiest to get hold of again later and/or easiest to sell in a hurry and/or that is redundant because of better gear I already have in the same style.

I know much of this is personal and stuff, but I need to act quickly, and ask that you bear with me on this one, and that you add some wise thoughts to the thoughts I already have myself.

Here's the stuff I have:
Basses:
Ashbory short scale
Daisy Rock Debutante Daisy - flower shaped short scale
Hohner B2B cricket bat
Music Man Bongo 4-HH (this one stays at any rate)
Music Man Bongo 4-HH (this one goes at any rate)
Music Man Bongo 4-HS
Music Man StingRay 5-H fretless (I'll fight off dragons to keep this one)
RockBass Corvette 4 active
Rockinbetter RG4003
Squier CP J 60s
Squier CV P 50s
Squier CP P 50s

Heads:
Ashdown Little Bastard 30
Ashdown MiBass 550
Beta Aivin BT250H (like the Promethean P500H but in 250W guise)
Genz Benz GBE 750
Genz Benz Streamliner 900
Orange Terror Bass 500

Practice:
Beta Aivin BP-35 (35W with a 10")
Harley Benton CB-110X (110W with a 12")
Orange Micro Terror (20W hybrid) with two PPC 108 cabs.

Thanko mucho for any helpful thoughts!

bert

Very sorry to hear of this awful situation. My immediate thought is that basses probably are easier to move on than amps (more aspirational) and that the most valuable bass you aren't determined to keep is your Musicman Bongo HS and the most easily saleable are probably the Squiers, based as they are on classic Fender designs. Those four basses would be first on my list.

Best of luck mate, sounds harrowing

Sell it all, use the money for what you need it for now, and then buy back what you need when you can. They're only basses and really don't matter.

If you want to keep playing for the duration, keep the Ashdown LB and a Squier Precision.

Hope things work out

C

Bert, sorry to hear such bad news.

Those Squiers will have a good resale value and will go quickly, and will be relatively easy to replace. Disagreeing with Clarky, you have some popular amps there as well. The Bongo, Rock Bass and other bits are quite esoteric so may take a little longer.

All the best for raising the funds,
Mike

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1385679476' post='2291198'] As already said, they're all replaceable, advertise the lot & whatever sells sells, get what you want when you come through this. Hope you can raise the cash you need & best wishes to you, your Father & family. [/quote] This. All of it. The market is very sluggish at the moment so the broad-brush approach is probably best. Oh, and of course you won't be able to sell the Ric copy on here... Best wishes.

Edited by Conan

Sorry to hear of your bad news. I tend to agree with most others sell the lot and replace it when you can at the end of the day they are all fairly available and easy to replace and personally I think the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Squiers and MM basses will sell the easiest. Hope things work out for you :)[/font][/color]

Thanks for all of your concern, your well wishes and your advice, folks!
I appreciate this very much indeed.
Again BC people have shown some of their qualities, and this fills me with a warm fuzziness (if that was not English, I hope you get what I mean).

Happily, my dad was pulled through this crisis by the aid of something as advanced as oxygen, as per my mother's idea and to the physician's great surprise.
We have no idea what the future brings, but at least the last 24 hours have been reasonably OK for him.

As to the sales, thank you for the ideas! I have taken them to heart, and some were new to me, and important.

Right now, I do not expect to need to sell all my bass gear. Besides bass gear, I still have synths, MIDI keyboards, guitars and other musical and non-musical stuff to sell as well.
So if anyone has more specific thoughts about reasons to keep certain gear rather than other gear, then I'm all ears.
Initially, I thought of keeping the Little Bastard and the GBE, as I get great Old Skool and great modern that way. Also, these are the amps I feel most at ease with at this early stage of getting to know my gear.

I agree with the idea of the Squiers being easy to sell and easy to replace, and suppose the cricket bat and the flower bass will not see a large market. Have no idea about the Rockinbetter, but would assume the Corvette should be fairly easy to sell. At any rate, both are easy to replace.

BTW, the reason for selling is not, as some might assume, to pay for my dad's medical treatment or similar good causes.
It's simply that I need a (rented or owned) car to travel to Holland rather soonishly and support my mother. (I'd sold both my private car and the company car and bought bass gear for the money, which at the time seemed like a grand idea, and was an idea I've been perfectly happy with these last years - proud even, as it has forced me to adopt a new lifestyle - but I was naively not expecting the medical crisis that now occurred.)

Thank you very much again! (and keep the wise thoughts coming please).