Why become a member? ×

USA P Bass worth the money?

Perry

I intend to buy a P Bass. Looking around the net and have seen some negative views on the USA being overpriced.

I've always wanted one and it will be a long while till I have the same amount of money to spend on a bass again so I would appreciate your advice.

My budget is around £1000 - £1200 I don't mind a used one.

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='Perry' timestamp='1385129197' post='2284782']
I intend to buy a P Bass. Looking around the net and have seen some negative views on the USA being overpriced.

I've always wanted one and it will be a long while till I have the same amount of money to spend on a bass again so I would appreciate your advice.

My budget is around £1000 - £1200 I don't mind a used one.

Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

Hi Perry

I don't think the current USA Fender Precision Basses are particulaly overpriced , and I would say that providing you get a good example that is well put together, ( always that proviso with anything made by Fender) then they can in fact be a bit of a bargain , especially if you compare how well they perform compared to custom-made boutique equivalents costing a lot more, usually .

If you are looking at buying new or used , the post-2008 American Standard Precisions are superb basses , and the post- 2012 models have the added bonus of Custom Shop Vintage pickups. Even without the Custom Shop pickup , if you find a nice example of these basses they play and sound excellent , have good quality hardware ( high mass bridge, lightweight tuners ect) , are usually a reasonable weight and just generally tick all the right boxes . You get a great case with them , too , and they are a solid investment all- round.

Used post- 2008 Am St PBasses pop up regulaly for sale on Basschat at very reasonable prices , and usually get snapped up pretty quickly , so it could be worth keeping an eye out on here.

What is "overpriced" anyway?

To some people a custom bass costing nearly £10,000 is value for money. For others, £300 for a Squier may seem over the odds.

If you want a P bass, and you have a grand to spend - then why not go for a US model?

Personally, I would rather buy a used one. Two main reasons. One, you will save quite a bit of money against a new price; and two (especially if you buy from a trusted member on here), you can speak to its current owner and get a good idea of how good an example it is.
Fender QC is not always what it should be - and that applies to US models as well as MIM! (Seems to be far less of an issue with Japanese-made Fenders though). Strangely, although their are loads of J basses for sale at the moment, there are not so many Ps - especially US ones!

I have a USA Precision that I got from new in 2008. It's my main bass, it's absolutely fantastic - best out of the 10 basses I have. I paid £850 for it - I think £1k is still a fine price for it.

A second hand one on here would be a great idea, you'd definitely get your moneys worth as they seem to go for around £750.

[quote name='JamesFlashG' timestamp='1385135927' post='2284888']
i have one for sale in the market place for £650 ;] case tools and original documents included
[/quote]

That`s a bargain. The 2008 - 2011 Series for me is the best and this is one of them. I love my 2011 - it`s the one bass that, unless I really get into a pickle financially, I`ll never sell, I rate it that much - and I`ve had many Fender Precisions.

James - have copied a link to your bass below:
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/222633-fender-precision-usa-standard-2009-l650/page__hl__precision__fromsearch__1

[quote name='JamesFlashG' timestamp='1385135927' post='2284888']
i have one for sale in the market place for £650 ;] case tools and original documents included
[/quote]
Yep - you might have to go a long way to find a better deal than this http://basschat.co.uk/topic/222633-fender-precision-usa-standard-2009-l650/page__hl__precision__fromsearch__1 That looks a bloody lovely bargain to me.

Another American P-bass driver here, best you can get by a country mile B)

My 70s CIJ P cost that, but it was what I was after (neck profile, finish etc), upgraded with KiOgon wiring, it rocks

Second hand is the way to go, but hey spending a few hundred more on a bass thats what you are really after, well a lot sillier things have been done, and if its used from years, who cares

[quote name='Perry' timestamp='1385145231' post='2285050']
Many thanks for your help guys/gals. Would be happy to buy one off here but have to PX in my Spector LX.

It's off to bass gallery for me! :D

Thanks again
[/quote]

You might well be better off selling your Spector privately. Anyone who takes it on PX is going to want to make a profit on the deal so you'll get anything up to 30% less than its market value (more if they think it's going to hang around for a while).

Steve

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1385146886' post='2285077']
You might well be better off selling your Spector privately.
[/quote]

Yeah - good luck with [i]that[/i]! Nobody seems to want Spectors at the moment - as I know to my cost! :unsure:

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1385148180' post='2285105']
I'd buy a clean example of a used MIJ/CIJ, then put whichever pickups, Fender or aftermarket, into the carcass suited my tastes. You'd be left with a chunk of change from your budget, and I'm betting there's a whole bundle of others on BC who'd do the same.
[/quote]

Me too. But there are others for which the MIA stamp carries more weight. For me, the build quality of a Japanese bass has the edge - but the pickups can be changed fairly cheaply if you find the Jap ones a bit "polite" :)

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1385129647' post='2284785']
Overpriced, some maybe, you'd lose a bit buying from new but secondhand you'd get a decent one off here for around £700 I'd say, and it would hold it's value quite well.
[/quote]

More like £600 or less at the moment. When you get a proper USA P Bass, you can take your seat at the top table of bass playing. Do it.