Why become a member? ×

A certain bass guitar whom we shall not name...

Jigster

I had a new 4003. Hated it and traded it on. I later tried a mate's 1976 4001. Very difficult to quantify the difference but it's lovely. Seems to sit better on me although I can't work out why, and lovely slim neck. I've taken the pickup cover off and fitted one of those rubber thingies that fills the hole and gives u a thumb rest. Love it!

I recall a lot of comments about the neck. I'm no expert - for me a Ric is a Ric, and the numbers don't mean as much as they might to an afficionado; however, there seemed to be some differences in the ones I've picked up - some slim, some fat.

We all have our preferences. For some, they perhaps don't have the right neck; others will be left wondering where the thumb goes; some will find they don't sit well in the mix of their current bands - horses for courses, and all power to some variety :)

That said, for me, I had no issues. They seemed like perfectly playable basses, and I'd be owning one now if not for John Hall.

I have lusted over many a Ric, tried almost everyone I have seen in the shops, borrowed one and gigged it with a view to buying it as it was a good year and colour combination and at a bargain price, I had the cash to spare yet still gave it back!

My biased findings so far....
1- Neck dive.
2- Nastycheap feel to the machine head tuners operation.
3- Fingerboard not following the main neck along its length properly as if it has shunk or something.
4- Body edges that you can shave with.
5- Poorly finished bindings compared to a Gibson Les Paul.
6- Pickup cover in the way, its right where I want to play especially with a pick (same goes for a Jazz with its covers on).
7- Remove cover and you are left with a crude metal finger grater.
8- Big clumsy bridge often swapped for something more accuratley adjustable.
9- Looks awesome and almost worth buying especially if you get offered a 70's one in fireglo red on the cheap, [i]almost.[/i]

Edited by stingrayPete1977

From what is probably a biased point of view seeing how I own one, I have found only that the pickup cover is in the way for my playing, so I removed that and the surround is a tad sharp on the old digits. I find the build quality is exceptional, the feel of the neck is great, I can set it up exactly how I want it and it'll always stay in tune and the intonation is great on it.

I may have a great example but it's certainly given me the confidence to buy another if I fancy it, though John Hall's management techniques are rather upfront and forthright, but that's another matter. ;)

I've had two 4001s, and rate them as "unique". Both were (are?) great basses - if you like Rics. My current '79 model was my go to bass until someone sold me a Warwick with best neck I have ever played :)

I use a pick, so the cover is not an issue. The sound is unique, and the neck is slim - perfectly playable. I have not noticed neck dive, but will admit that the machine heads are not smooth and regular.

Hope that helps.

Surprised that no one has mentioned the string spacing.

If you're used to Fenders (19mm at the bridge) then you'll find the strings uncomfortably close together, especially if you play fingerstyle, and ever more so if you like to dig in.

The lack of "comfort contouring" on the upper side of the body means that there's a real tendency to dig into your side or rib-cage. In a heavy bass (frequently 5Kg) that's not a good thing.

My 1976 mapleglo 4001 weighs 4.255kg and has a nut width of 1 3/5" (slightly over Jazz width, but not Precision)

I play with a pick and still have the pup cover on it. I mainly play Jazzes, with the Ric being Sunday best, but after about a minute on it, it's no more easy or difficult to play than a J (IMHO)

Still the best looking bass I've ever owned, and when it's growling away, it always makes me glad I own one.

I don't own one, and given my current financial situation I'm unlikely to in the next few years, but my first bass was one of the similarly styled Ibanezes mentioned in the other concurrent thread - it was a very close copy in many respects and I miss that bass! I may be one of the few people who actively likes the narrow string spacing and minimal taper to the neck, but I did find the bridge annoying as I like to palm mute. Mine had already had the bridge pickup surround replaced with a flat metal ring, but I suspect that would annoy me too. But with a pickup bezel and Hipshot bridge, I think I'd be very happy with one.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1384595777' post='2278447']
I have lusted over many a Ric, tried almost everyone I have seen in the shops, borrowed one and gigged it with a view to buying it as it was a good year and colour combination and at a bargain price, I had the cash to spare yet still gave it back!

My biased findings so far....
1- Neck dive.
2- Nastycheap feel to the machine head tuners operation.
3- Fingerboard not following the main neck along its length properly as if it has shunk or something.
4- Body edges that you can shave with.
5- Poorly finished bindings compared to a Gibson Les Paul.'
6- Pickup cover in the way, its right where I want to play especially with a pick (same goes for a Jazz with its covers on).
7- Remove cover and you are left with a crude metal finger grater.
8- Big clumsy bridge often swapped for something more accuratley adjustable.
9- Looks awesome and almost worth buying especially if you get offered a 70's one in fireglo red on the cheap, [i]almost.[/i]
[/quote]

Interesting, as I feel they're vastly superior to Stingrays in every way. I find them far comfier, I find them far easier to play and I also find them far more versatile. :-)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1384608471' post='2278652']
Surprised that no one has mentioned the string spacing.

If you're used to Fenders (19mm at the bridge) then you'll find the strings uncomfortably close together, especially if you play fingerstyle, and ever more so if you like to dig in.

The lack of "comfort contouring" on the upper side of the body means that there's a real tendency to dig into your side or rib-cage. In a heavy bass (frequently 5Kg) that's not a good thing.
[/quote]

The string spacing is one of my favourite things. FWIW a typical 4001 weighs 9lbs; mine are both about 8.5. I actually find the body far more comfortable than a Fender. 19mm spacing is at least 3mm too wide for me.

What all this boils down to is many people who are used to Fender-inspired designs don't get on with them because they feel very different. I learned to play on one so have the opposite problem; for me there is no less comfortable bass, both to hold and to play, than a Fender Jazz. Also many here seem to have some real bee in their bonnet about them, possibly partly to do with John Hall.

So far as I'm concerned I'd choose a good Ric over anything; the only basses that come close IMO are Sei and Alembic.

However what I would always suggest with any instrument is play as many examples as you can and make up your own mind as only you will know what feels right to you.

Edited by 4000

Rics are a drug I can't kick!

I've had a good few, and only sold the last one for recession reasons.

Pulled the trigger on one last week - I'm back in the studio in January, and have never recorded without one. I suppose it's my sound, and whatever I try to do to change, always come back.

The looks and feel are not for all - dodgy QC, ergonomically difficult....but if you bond, nothing compares. If you don't, you'll run away screaming!

TBH I'd go for a 4003 over a 4001. Newer ones have the tone selector which gives you a 4001 sound if you wish.....bass-less! If you're use to modern basses, an old 4001 will certainly be a bit of a shock!

Don't forget the 4001 has the tricky truss rod system, whereas a 4003 (early 80's onward I think) all have a conventional set-up, albeit 2.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1384617988' post='2278807']
The old knock what the other person has comeback, useful. :D
[/quote]

Well I thought I'd try what others often do for a change. Just to see what it was like. ;) In all seriousness though, I was making a point. I've yet to play a Stingray I like. However that doesn't mean I think there's anything wrong with them; they're just not for me, but they're still excellent basses. I really like what they sound like in the hands of others, have considered buying one often, but whenever I play one I don't like it.

So often I read that Rics are 'crap' for whatever reason and all it means is they don't suit, which some people seem to fail to understand.

Edited by 4000