Why become a member? ×

Can a real man wear a...*Purple Metal Flake* Flea Bass?

Chiliwailer

Er...um... not that I'm easily persuaded, prone to peer group pressure, willing to please or anything like that but I've just put in an offer for this bass. I'm still paying too much for it, which will be a massive first for me, but then as my good friend always said 'If I really want it there and then, I'll pay for that privilege' so let's see if the seller accepts....

Not only has this topic been very amusing, it's also very cool to see what people think of the funky colour. If the opportunity to buy a late '90's one with a Lane Poor came up in the future then I'd possibly sell it on ,so it's nice to know that you guys give this one a purple flake thumbs up.

EDIT: Oh, and for any cosmic occurrence fans, funny that I wrote my 'wanted' bit in my signature in purple the other day (enter twilight zone theme here)

Cheers!

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1382765395' post='2256319']
They say a real man can wear pink.

I am wanting a Flea Bass, have been for a while. Finally given up on getting a Lane Poor version, having heard various sound clips of the Seymour Duncan + OBP-1 preamp I'm convinced that's ok.

But..... my friend has this one for sale and it is in [size=5][color=#800080][b]purple metal flake!!! :o[/b][/color][/size] It's not cheap, but then again will they ever will be.

I'm only go to play this at home, the little kid in me wants a Flea Bass just for the awesome tone and fun of it, purple flake is kinda fun?

Please guys and gals, [u]give it to me straight,[/u] no holding back, be nice, be mean, just don't be diplomatic!

Thanks.
[/quote]

Man wearing pink and says 'give it to me straight'. Normally , no can do , but as this is purple I would say buy it. Nice bass

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1382765395' post='2256319']
They say a real man can wear pink.

I am wanting a Flea Bass, have been for a while. Finally given up on getting a Lane Poor version, having heard various sound clips of the Seymour Duncan + OBP-1 preamp I'm convinced that's ok.

But..... my friend has this one for sale and it is in [size=5][color=#800080][b]purple metal flake!!! :o[/b][/color][/size] It's not cheap, but then again will they ever will be.

I'm only go to play this at home, the little kid in me wants a Flea Bass just for the awesome tone and fun of it, purple flake is kinda fun?

Please guys and gals, [u]give it to me straight,[/u] no holding back, be nice, be mean, just don't be diplomatic!

Thanks.
[/quote]

I'm not at all keen on any of the glitzy flake finishes on these Modulus basses -it seems like a way of ruining a very nice bass to me- but I am probably in a minority on that and , as in all matters of taste like this, you can only please one person so please yourself! If you like it then go for it ( sounds like you already have). That purple is slightly more masculine than classic Fender Burgundy Mist , but not by much . I wouldn't want to be seen with it out in public myself , but I am a very confused man with all kinds of insecurities and unresolved issues . You will probably thrive on it.

About the whole Lane Poor v Seymour Duncan pickup thing , I've played them both side by side and there really is no discernable difference between the two Of course some folks have got the idea in their heads that the unavailable Lane Poor is the Holy Grail ( old + not available + Flea uses them on some of his basses =[i] must [/i]be better) the reality is that no one could really hear any difference if you played them both side by side . Seymour Duncan carefully reverse engineered the Lane Poor pickup and did a very good job of replicating the sound of the original . I certainly can't hear any difference whatsoever , and that OB1 preamp sounds good with it , too.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1382791297' post='2256593']
I That purple is slightly more masculine than classic Fender Burgundy Mist , but not by much .

About the whole Lane Poor v Seymour Duncan pickup thing , I've played them both side by side and there really is no discernable difference between the two I certainly can't hear any difference whatsoever , and that OB1 preamp sounds good with it , too.
[/quote]

Yup, classic and replicated Burgundy Mist is not even close to a nicely aged and dirty nitro finished old school Burgundy Mist. Obviously depends on how the bass has aged but they can come up lovely.

Good to hear about the pickup thing, the sound clips I heard sound great and just what I'm after having fun with.

Now where's that long sports sock....

I still have a Jackson guitar (Jap built one) in purple metallic, just the same colour Cadbury use! Didn't buy it for the colour at all (must have had it 17 or 18 years), but people liked it at the gigs, and these types of colour look way better under gig lights than you expect.

Get it and enjoy it!

Real man is a real man even with pink bass with bunny stickers all over it. As a matter of fact, proper combination of style features make you look awesome with a bass like that. Look at the bass'es namesake guy: Flea. He always has a style, however ridiculous.

P.S. With that said, I'd love to have Squier Badtz Maru Bronco Bass, goes really well with beard, leather jacket and torn jeans...

Very much this.
[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1382995594' post='2259014']
Buy it, refin if you can't live with it.
[/quote]

[quote name='roonjuice' timestamp='1382995486' post='2259012']
The bass I have been gigging most recently is a slightly redder hot pink jazz power special.. It plays and sounds like a fricken monster, and I got it for a song because of the colour.. My missus like it too coz it's "so 80's!!!
[/quote]I feel we need pics.

Real men, you mean like Flea himself? Can't get much more male than him and his bandmates!

Off the top of my head, here are some other legendary players of "girly" coloured guitars (pink, yellow, purple, neon green):
- Jimi Hendrix (pink and so forth)
- Steve Vai (everything!)
- George Harrison (pink tele)
- Ritchie Blackmore (yellow! and others)
- Frank Zappa (and son) (literally everything if you include Dweezil's axes over the years)

Definitely! Here's a couple of pics of one of my regular gig basses - the girl's love it (and so do my band mates!!)

[url="http://s128.photobucket.com/user/imperialbarge/media/62JazzPink6-XL.jpg.html"][/url]
[url="http://s128.photobucket.com/user/imperialbarge/media/62JazzPink7-XL.jpg.html"][/url]

Looks fantastic under stage lights too!

This is great, I've paid for the bass and am really looking forward to it arriving now from the States.

So the general Basschat feel is that yes, a real man can play what the hell he likes, and you guys all approve the purple too which is nice to know.

I won't dare to start a new topic though, being 'Am I a real man?' :o

Cheers for the awesome replies.