Why become a member? ×

Been sacked!

Phil Adams

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1382609196' post='2254242']

I don't like fishing, but I bought a double bass and that made things a little better :)
[/quote]

:D

Learning to play DB as well as BG is a guaranteed way of getting good bands interested - you will always be in demand if you can play both !

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1382611313' post='2254282']
:D

Learning to play DB as well as BG is a guaranteed way of getting good bands interested - you will always be in demand if you can play both !
[/quote]

Here's hoping so ubassman...
No one biting yet though....

TBH - I bought the DB just because I wanted one anyway
I'm so glad I did - it's lovely :)

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1382606755' post='2254185']
Thanks again chaps, knew you'd understand.
BTW, my playing has NEVER been criticised, only praised.
More to the point though, I haven't responded to the email I received yesterday. Would a reply cheapen me or strengthen me?
[/quote]

As isaid earlier ,bounce it . The email equivalent of return to sender. Job done. Now sling your hook(into the river) Sorry ;)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1382598578' post='2254034']
Apparently 'looking for someone to bring their own creativity to the project' actually means 'looking for someone to play exactly what we tell them'... who knew...
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd suggest a philosophical outlook about such thing. it's obviously a pisser when people misrepresent things but in the final analysis if the band members don't gel - for whatever reason - then the band is almost certainly doomed.

The main band I was in decided to fold on Monday night, they were in our regular practice spot while I was in hospital, which they knew, albeit off my face on gas and air while having my shoulder re-located (short version, came off my mountain bike on a shortcut home from work)... I found out via a facebook post on Tuesday evening. Yet they still want to play one final gig this weekend. Looks like they'll be doing it without me then, I can barely pick up a mug of tea at the moment. Think I'm gonna take some time out to consider my options, not really been feeling it for a while now anyway tbh. Lifes a funny old game eh?!

In terms of replying to the email, personally I'd send a brief but not rude reply just acknowledging the email. No point arguing, and it looks more professional. Quite often when bands do this they break up shortly after. Go out with some class and dignity, moving on to better things, be it bass or fishing

At least for my (so far only) sacking it was a phone call, albeit not the bandleader who seemed too spineless to carry it out and got the keyboard player to do it. I was getting frustrated by a general lack of professionalism in the band anyway so was on the point of leaving. When I got the call I jumped at the chance to move on elsewhere before he changed his mind! I found out a few months later that the keyboard player (and drummer) who had been with the band leader much longer than my brief 6 month stint had also been relieved of their duties soon after...

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1382635082' post='2254819']
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd suggest a philosophical outlook about such thing. it's obviously a pisser when people misrepresent things but in the final analysis if the band members don't gel - for whatever reason - then the band is almost certainly doomed.
[/quote]

Yeah exactally, I've no worries about it :) It was only in the very early stages anyway.

I do think they would be more successful putting an advert out for the sort of player they actually want though. It's as much a waste of their time as any prospective bass players... Something along the lines of 'bassist wanted - must only play root notes'

[quote name='tonybassplayer' timestamp='1382707158' post='2255697']

Crickey, think I might match the criteria for that band as long as they would accept my very occasional flirtation with the tricky root/octave manoeuvre !!
[/quote]

Ha ha, me too. Though I might chuck in a third now and then just to impress :D

We had a long band meeting about replacing our singer. In the end we agreed the drummer would phone her in the morning and let her know.

Next morning an email came out with all of us copied on. Git!

I called her and spent half an hour on the phone with her.

Some people are idiots.

Turned out we were all fooled because the drummer just wanted to get his girlfriend into the band. I left soon after...

I've been fired for 'not having long hair', when in reality it was to get someone's mate in (who then cut their hair short!)

There's not a lot of honesty around during hiring and firing, it comes under personal taste and being tactful.

Yes, it's a funny old world. I'm sure you'll find new and better opportunities, but in the meantime stay cheerful. I've been sacked only once, blown out by a large female singer. It was only recently talking to a fellow muso that I realised he'd previously been sacked as well so we agreed that it was a badge of honour.

Ages ago, my young brother, also a bassist, had been sacked from his young band. My mum told me she had heard him sobbing in his room. Sad, sad.

Let's face it, being sacked is never fun. I have just been sacked (of sorts) along with the drummer, and it was all done via email. It's not a straight forward situation I'm in but the irony is there wouldn't be a situation if everyone had just been honest.
I don't think an email or a text is appropriate for anyone who has put in more than a few practices, and I understand people not wanting to do it face to face for fear of getting their head kicked in. A phone call I think is the most acceptable form of sacking, it isn't as good as in person but you atleast give the sackee the courtesy of an immediate rebuttal.
Me, I'm dirty on how it's gone down, but to be honest I'm great full it's over, the other two have been doing my head in for weeks, now I'm off to bigger and better things.

Don't get mad, get better and burn em!

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1382601785' post='2254087']
Thanks chaps, just wanted to get it off my chest. We weren't all that great, but the backstabbing and deceit beggars belief. I thought I was the rock of the band and above it's effect, I was wrong.
I have no doubt I'm better off out of it, but it still hurts.
Onwards and outwards. I still have another project on the back burner, time to turn that one up. That one will be much more fun anyway.
[/quote]
Listen carefully to the way that others backstab and carefully note their deceitful ways. If they behave like that about acquaintances/band mates they will do the same to you...when you are not present.

Their loss is your gain. You were too good for them.