Why become a member? ×

How do I get tone knob on my Precision to actually do something?

thebrig

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1382457388' post='2252388']
I've got a cheap P-bass copy that had the same problem - the tone pot never seemed to do anything.

I had a look under the scratchplate and it turned out the pot wasn't wired up! So that'd be the first place I'd look... ;)
[/quote]
I've checked it against wiring diagrams and everything is definitely wired up correctly.

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1382457757' post='2252395']
are you near anyone else with a similar p-bass from on here? coffee, chat, a-b the basses??
[/quote]
Thanks Andy, but I have had a couple of precisions over the years, MIM, Squier and now the MIA, and they all seem to have a similar problem, although I would say the MIM probably had the biggest range, although not great.

The two Warmoth 54's I put together with Lollars, CTS250 pots, and PIO capacitor 0.047uF, have far more range.

Dead strings and scooping mids can have a big effect on this. Up the mids on your amp til the sound is clanky to start off with.

Re the tone knob, I have mine installed with the screw-fixing at 6 o`clock when it is fully on. When I want to cut some treble I move the knob to about 2 o`clock (level with one of the screws on the pickguard) and this has the desired effect - still enough treble/mids to not be slushy with no definition, but a much warmer motowny type tone. Mine is a 2011 Precision so should be the same. Re this, the pickups in this series have a reputation for being scooped (and I kindof agree with this).

A few people have suggested that it might be wired incorrectly, and I have checked it against wiring diagrams, and it all appears to be correct.

Now without wishing to turn my thread into a anti-Fender bashing, how could instruments costing £1,000+ be allowed to leave the factory incorrectly wired?

I've heard some unfavourable stories about Fender's QC, but does this actually happen? :o

I'm no expert, but I've heard about linear and logarithmic pots, and the difference between them. Does this have any bearing here re the original post? If this is relevant, can anybody shed some light on this for me? I rewired my P bass a few years ago, and the tone pot doesn't seem to cut much treble until I get down to about 3/10. That's where I can hear the change. I was told by a tech that I probably have a logrithmic pot, and that it may work more evenly if I changed it to a linear pot.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1382451846' post='2252284']
On most basses I have played the tone knob seems not to do much at all. I have always wondered why also
[/quote]

Well the tone knob on a passive bass is a simple high frequency attenuator with a very gently slope - at "full" position you get moreorless the raw sound of your pickups and as you turn it "down" it starts to roll of some highs. Passive basses tend not to have a vast amount of highs in the first place since they get attenuated between the bass and the amp by the connecting lead, hence passive tone controls generally do little more than muffle the sound a bit (just like using a very long lead would do ...). Thier effect will be even less noticeable if your using a cab without a tweeter.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1382460103' post='2252436']
Dead strings and scooping mids can have a big effect on this. Up the mids on your amp til the sound is clanky to start off with.

Re the tone knob, I have mine installed with the screw-fixing at 6 o`clock when it is fully on. When I want to cut some treble I move the knob to about 2 o`clock (level with one of the screws on the pickguard) and this has the desired effect - still enough treble/mids to not be slushy with no definition, but a much warmer motowny type tone. Mine is a 2011 Precision so should be the same. Re this, the pickups in this series have a reputation for being scooped (and I kindof agree with this).
[/quote]
I think Lozz makes a good point about how your amp is set in the Eq....[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1382458643' post='2252407']
I've checked it against wiring diagrams and everything is definitely wired up correctly.
[/quote] I don't doubt it - so must be another problem....
- how new is your lead? damaged leads (and they all get damaged with time) have the effect of acting as another tone control and taking some high end off.
-how high are you pickups set? The height of the pups have a massive effect on both volume and tone. If it's all a bit boomy and little difference raise the pups a turn or two and it should add in some mids.
- still no difference. Is it your amp? how is it Eqed? try sticking the bass straight in the effects return socket and playing and see what that sounds like.

Both my Mex and VM P's do the wooly to clanky thing on the tone knob. You say this has been a problem on several P's you've owned which makes me wonder if you're actually listening for the right thing.

Do you have the means to record yourself? If so you could post some A/B clips & let everyone have a listen. Just a thought.

[quote name='DolganoFF' timestamp='1382468498' post='2252591']
It usually works in the other direction: human ears hear log pots as more linear than linear pots (counter-intuitive, I know)
[/quote]
I've just been reading about that.

[quote name='mingsta' timestamp='1382469688' post='2252608']
. Sell the P-bass in search of something with a broader tonal palette...

[/quote]
Sell the P??? NEVER!! Lol.

Edited by ratman

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1382460103' post='2252436']

[/quote]

Another vote for Lozz's suggestion - you may be fighting against the amp's EQ. Put that all back to 12 o'clock and see if there's much difference. If it still sounds woolly, try taking some of the low freqency out of the amp EQ. Then have a good sweep.

Can't speak for Genz Benz, but I did find this with Ashdown amps - they put out so much bass that you have to cut it quite a bit to make out any of the other frequencies. Once you make that cut, the tone control suddenly comes to life!

Edited by EliasMooseblaster

My 08 US P has a decent range on the tone knob but I find it more noticeable when playing with a band.

I sometimes roll the tone back say 50% to a spot which just gives a lovely balance of thump and fizz.

So I'm suggesting you might hear the difference more when playing live? Just a thought.

Frank.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1382451918' post='2252285']
Er, maybe it's not wired up correctly? There should be a massive difference, from [s]bright and clanging[/s] dull and thuddy with it fully up and dull and thuddy when rolled off.
[/quote]

Fixed that for you.