Why become a member? ×

Kids of today ... pah!

Happy Jack

I like them. Wish I had been in a band that good at their age.
All bands are "styled" nowadays. I've seen a band who wore clothes chosen by a stylist and I was nonplussed.
They didn't look as if they had been styled in any way, which, I suppose, was the point. Didn't rate their music though.

Just watched it, thought it was bloody briliant...I mean, how old are they? They have a right good sound mixed up there and they all have their own style of playing (though the singers vice hasn't broken yet) (and why wear sunnies inside?!). Thought the bass player rocked it.

Away to youtube them more.....

To me this highlights both what I consider to be good and bad about the acceptance of pop/rock music today.

It's good because I would have loved to have got the kind of support and encouragement the band in the OP are probably getting when I first started playing at the age of 13 in the 70s.

At that time there was zero coverage of pop or rock in music lessons at school unless it was some sneering at whichever recent chart hit had appropriated a piece of classical music in its arrangement (c.f. Greg Lake's "I believe In Father Christmas" or First Class' "Beach Baby"). Getting musical instrument lessons meant classical music and most modern you could hope for would be a place in the school orchestra playing G&S.

Apart from a few lucky people most parents of that time hated "pop" music. Mine certainly did everything they could short of actually banning it in the house to discourage me from listening to or playing it. They bought me my first (acoustic) guitar, but that was it. Everything else was frowned upon. I get my first electric guitar by building it myself in the woodwork shop at school buying the parts in secret as I needed, and bringing the finished instrument home at the end of the school year as a "fait accompli".

What all this discouragement did however was to make me ultimately even more determined to be able to play. It may have taken me much longer to learn because I had to figure everything out for myself and for a long time I only had cheap and nasty gear to play (I would have given anything for instruments even half as good as the band in the video are playing), but in the end I believe that it did me a lot of good because I developed my own style of playing and songwriting rather than blindly regurgitating what already existed.

And that's what I think is bad about pop and rock music now being accepted in schools and society. It's become mostly boring and safe and full of people copying their heroes rather than doing what their heroes did and creating something brand new. The band in the video are technically accomplished and put on a good show, but there doesn't seem to be any real originality there.

To me its rather sad that it's acceptable to like your parents' music. The few records my parents owned held no interest in the slightest for me. In fact I can't really remember being interested in music of any kind until I discovered T Rex, Slade, The Sweet etc. An important part of my "growing up" involved rebelling against my parents' taste in almost everything but especially music.

You could say I'm a bit jealous of the band in the OP, and to an extent you'd be right. Looking back, the obstacles put in my way have made me IMO maybe less technically accomplished, but most certainly more artistically innovative today. However at the time I might have quite literally killed to have been given the kind or opportunity and encouragement that the band in the OP seem to have.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1382001730' post='2246472']
To me its rather sad that it's acceptable to like your parents' music. The few records my parents owned held no interest in the slightest for me. In fact I can't really remember being interested in music of any kind until I discovered T Rex, Slade, The Sweet etc. An important part of my "growing up" involved rebelling against my parents' taste in almost everything but especially music.
[/quote]

It's fair enough to hold this opinion, but it saddens me that you found yourself in that situation and it has coloured your judgement in this way. I found my parent's music to be highly entertaining. I was weaned on my Dad's vinyl and cassettes - Cream, Wishbone Ash, Deep Purple, Genesis, ELP, Curved Air, Fleetwood Mac to name a few that I recall and it didn't do me any harm. Loved it then, love it now. I found my Dad's stuff much more interesting than a lot of the pish that came out of the 80s. A sufficient primer in music to keep me interested BECAUSE of what I heard instead of IN SPITE of what I heard (or didn't).

My wife's late father was all about the Beach Boys. She still likes 'em too.

Maybe it depends when you grew up, and it certainly depends upon who you grew up around. To be honest, I think my parents were/are pretty cool and I didn't have much to rebel against.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1382005376' post='2246550']
I was weaned on my Dad's vinyl and cassettes - Cream, Wishbone Ash, Deep Purple, Genesis, ELP, Curved Air, Fleetwood Mac to name a few that I recall and[b] it didn't do me any harm[/b].
[/quote]

That's what YOU think! ;)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1382005376' post='2246550']
It's fair enough to hold this opinion, but it saddens me that you found yourself in that situation and it has coloured your judgement in this way. I found my parent's music to be highly entertaining. I was weaned on my Dad's vinyl and cassettes - Cream, Wishbone Ash, Deep Purple, Genesis, ELP, Curved Air, Fleetwood Mac to name a few that I recall and it didn't do me any harm. Loved it then, love it now. I found my Dad's stuff much more interesting than a lot of the pish that came out of the 80s. A sufficient primer in music to keep me interested BECAUSE of what I heard instead of IN SPITE of what I heard (or didn't).

My wife's late father was all about the Beach Boys. She still likes 'em too.

Maybe it depends when you grew up, and it certainly depends upon who you grew up around. To be honest, I think my parents were/are pretty cool and I didn't have much to rebel against.
[/quote]

Maybe, but I'm from a generation when going against your parent's taste in pretty much everything (especially music) was a required part of discovering who you were.

My parents meagre record collection consisted of the blandest of the bland classical music and trad jazz. As I said in my previous post I can't recall having had any interest in music at all until I discovered pop music in the early 70s on Radio 1 - which was never on at home, I had to go away on holiday to hear it for the first time. Even artists as innocuous as Bill Haley and Cliff Richard were considered to be degenerate tuneless noise by my parents...

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1382007467' post='2246584']
Maybe, but I'm from a generation when going against your parent's taste in pretty much everything (especially music) was a required part of discovering who you were.

My parents meagre record collection consisted of the blandest of the bland classical music and trad jazz. As I said in my previous post I can't recall having had any interest in music at all until I discovered pop music in the early 70s on Radio 1 - which was never on at home, I had to go away on holiday to hear it for the first time. Even artists as innocuous as Bill Haley and Cliff Richard were considered to be degenerate tuneless noise by my parents...
[/quote]

Sounds like I got pretty lucky then.