Why become a member? ×

Victor Wooton Ain't So Great

Lowender

You guys are confusing two different things here.

1 - A bass player playing a solo and a self-serving, solo performing stunt/performance
2 - Playing as part of a band

Both are totally separate and a different as comparing a snooker trick shot player with the performance in a snooker world championship.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpba70L2BLo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpba70L2BLo[/url]

The fact it, they're 2 separate jobs.

If you doubt this listen to any of your favourite band tracks and take ANY instrument in isolation - almost every time no instrument taken in isolation is remarkable.

The vid in the op lacks passion and feeling IMHO

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1381418212' post='2238831']
Victor seems like a lovely bloke, and I really admire his committment to music education and travelling the globe showing people how he does what he does, but his playing has never been to my taste. He has got some incredible skills, but he has never found a proper outlet for those talents, in my opinion , and once you strip away the flash , what is really left? His playing leaves me cold, I'm sorry to say, but the thousands of bad imitators he has inspired drive me crazy! A generation of young bass players have grown up thinking that the point of playing the bass is to try and find any excuse to try and execute a kind of palm-muted double thump classical extravaganza. Badly.
[/quote]

You can't pin that phenomenon entirely on poor old Victor though, can you? His playing isn't my kind of thing either, but I'm sure plenty of other bass virtuosos have inspired a number of poor imitations. After all, how many blues jams over the last 40-odd years have been dogged by guitarists who thought their guitar solo was an opportunity to rehash Hendrix's rendition of [i]The Star-Spangled Banner[/i] into a couple of 12-bar turnarounds?

(You might have a point though...I did, not so long ago, see a guy who thought it would be incredibly clever to play a slap bass solo over a slow 12-bar. It wasn't.)

Edited by EliasMooseblaster

Everyone is entitled to their opinion

BUT.

Lets be honest here, Victor Wooten is a genius. His overall level of teaching is fantastic and he clearly is really passionate about what he does. You don't have to be an innovator to be a fantastic bass player, just watch the 'Groove Workshop' he is much more than what this thread is making out.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1381419496' post='2238861']
You can't pin that phenomenon entirely on poor old Victor though, can you? His playing isn't my kind of thing either, but I'm sure plenty of other bass virtuosos have inspired a number of poor imitations. After all, how many blues jams over the last 40-odd years have been dogged by guitarists who thought their guitar solo was an opportunity to rehash Hendrix's rendition of [i]The Star-Spangled Banner[/i] into a couple of 12-bar turnarounds?

(You might have a point though...I did, not so long ago, see a guy who thought it would be incredibly clever to play a slap bass solo over a slow 12-bar. It wasn't.)
[/quote]

You are absolutely right that Vic is by no means the first virtuoso player to inspire poor imitation , and he isn't personally responsible for them , Just let me make it clear, I think Victor is a gifted player with exceptional ability, but I am questioning the direction he has taken that talent in .

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1381413901' post='2238726']

I believe what this guy is doing is so far beyond what Wooton has ever done. He's stupidly great. Never heard of him.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2wuhDDhzoU[/media]
[/quote] Terrible he even can't stand in the shadow of Victor.

Well, he is really really good. lol. BUT... he doesn't really do it for me. No disrespect. That's just my taste. His tricks are terrific but his playing with a band isn't particularly interesting. TO ME. His slapping is good but so is the slapping of thousands of blokes.

So it comes down to his two handed tap/chord melody playing. That's where he's the master, right?

Well, check this out.

I believe what this guy is doing is so far beyond what Wooton has ever done. He's stupidly great. Never heard of him.
[/quote]
Out of the goodness of my heart, I lasted 31 seconds before I couldn't bear it anymore.

I'd rather listen to Victor Wooten and I have never ever said that before.

Well, I looked at the first video by dart anian . Nothing technically different tbh . Alot of the Linus and Lucy stuff going on. Then he took out a violin bow, and then it got tedious. Watched all of it tho'. As for Mr.Wooten; plenty of sweating going on, then ..banjos !! Aaarggh! Then it broke into that annoying celtic melody .
I couldn't watch it . They are both good . So what ? Randy coven is also good but never gets mentioned. I'll leave it there

Well, he is really really good. lol. BUT... he doesn't really do it for me. No disrespect. That's just my taste. His tricks are terrific but his playing with a band isn't particularly interesting. TO ME. His slapping is good but so is the slapping of thousands of blokes.

So it comes down to his two handed tap/chord melody playing. That's where he's the master, right?

Well, check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2wuhDDhzoU
[/quote]

That just don't float my boat at all. . Non musical. . Nonsense. . And a horrible tone in my opinion. . Sounded like knitting needles rattling a fret board

He can play though but I'd rather listen to someone coughing all day long

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1381421807' post='2238927']

I had Funk Me Tender on cassette. Distorted slap bass with a whammy bar? What's not to like? :D
[/quote]
Good album .Sammy says ouch ,is also classic. Too '80s for some now ;) The hot licks video is funny tho'. He is totally out of it ;)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1381416281' post='2238783']

Playing with a band isn't supposed to be interesting, its supposed to be part of the band being interesting, otherwise its playing in spite of the band.
[/quote]

Pretty much this.

Solo bass playing is really rather beginning to get on my nerves. Not that I liked it much in the first place.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1381421966' post='2238932']
Good album .Sammy says ouch ,is also classic. Too '80s for some now ;) The hot licks video is funny tho'. He is totally out of it ;)
[/quote]

I think you deserve the medal!

BTW I think it was Carl Palmer this guy played for, replacing Bass Tutor Stuart Clayton.

P.S. Rather nifty GB Spitfire 6 in original post!

Edited by visog

Not my thing at all, I got about 30 seconds through and then enough was enough. I have no problem with people experimenting like that but I'll always think that the electric bass is voiced so badly for this kind of stuff. Why do something on a 7 string bass that can be enjoyed and performed infinitely better on a guitar or piano, something with a stronger melodic voice? The comparison with Wooten is daft as well.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1381426444' post='2239034']
Not my thing at all, I got about 30 seconds through and then enough was enough. I have no problem with people experimenting like that but I'll always think that the electric bass is voiced so badly for this kind of stuff. Why do something on a 7 string bass that can be enjoyed and performed infinitely better on a guitar or piano, something with a stronger melodic voice?
[/quote]

+1.

I tend to think if you were simply listening to it rather than watching it it would sound like a badly played harpsichord.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1381423369' post='2238975']
The trouble with all these sorts of discussions is that people tend to confuse 'good' with 'like', i.e. people tend to think a musician is really good if they really like them (or rather their music). I can't see any connection or correlation myself.
[/quote]
Nope, I didn't like but I also thought it was badly executed. It was not good in every sense of the word.

Well, check this out.

[/quote]

Awful sound, poorly executed, devoid of beauty.

If you are going to go out on a stage and do something that stupid, at least do it with some flair and panache, and write a composition that sounds like you have some heart.

The sad thing is, he is probably a good accompanist, he was probably made to do that solo spot. The fact he was half out the spotlight for a lot of it seemed to me like he was uncomfortable or inexperienced at having a solo spot.

The bass is a horrible instrument for soloing unaccompanied. I can't see how anyone with any musical appreciation would like this video, it's just grimace-inducing, sphincter-tightening nonsense that any average guitarist could make sound so much nicer. It's just a little show-off section done without any humour or grace.

f***ing yeurrgh.

Well, check this out.

[/quote]

jeebus just how frigging annoying is it with peeps when they ram in 64 hemidemisemiquavers at the end of every bleedin line :unsure:

made it to 3:07 where the bow was thrown in

FML :huh: :facepalm:

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1381430892' post='2239094']
Awful sound, poorly executed, devoid of beauty.

If you are going to go out on a stage and do something that stupid, at least do it with some flair and panache, and write a composition that sounds like you have some heart.

The sad thing is, he is probably a good accompanist, he was probably made to do that solo spot. The fact he was half out the spotlight for a lot of it seemed to me like he was uncomfortable or inexperienced at having a solo spot.

The bass is a horrible instrument for soloing unaccompanied. I can't see how anyone with any musical appreciation would like this video, it's just grimace-inducing, sphincter-tightening nonsense that any average guitarist could make sound so much nicer. It's just a little show-off section done without any humour or grace.

f***ing yeurrgh.
[/quote]

Nailed it! Absolutely Nailed it!

He's probably a cracker of a bassist (in fact he defo will be) but that 'solo' just reminds me of a youtube bedroom bassist. I honestly hate that style of bass playing, it would be a perfectly nice piece if played on a suitable instrument, perhaps a nylon guitar, but just sounds bad on a bass.

Wooten goes extremely unmusical at some points but he has a style to him.

Well, check this out.

[/quote]

He is good, no doubt... and he uses a bass guitar, for sure. But... that's not "really" bass, is it? At least not what drew me to bass.