Why become a member? ×

Victor Wooton Ain't So Great

Lowender

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1381500732' post='2239948']
Beautiful tone, composition and execution, the antithesis of the video Lowender posted in the OP.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC2i_04z8XY[/media]
[/quote]

Not bad is he...can he play Sex On Fire? :)

I actually liked that, just to be serious for a fleeting moment.

Basschat's own Stuart Clayton does some nice solo arrangements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTVwm7_4sbU

I have to say I really don't like the video in the OP and the best word for it I can actually think of is emotionless and lacking musicality (atleast to my tastes). Vic doesn't do much for me either mind you.

My current favourites are Steve Lawson, Stu Hamm, Andy Baxter and at the top of the list [url="http://www.ourstage.com/t/MFZXUYPXJUFA"]Marcello Lavorgna[/url]

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1381497693' post='2239896']
This thread is so typical of so many message boards and a microcosm of mentalities. Anything unknown is almost never appreciated. Success breeds success. You can't argue with it just as you can't defend failure. And there's another emotion at play. Fear. When someone does something beyond one's capabilities, it creates a defense mechanism. There's an instant self protection mechanism that goes into play. It's called "finding fault." It allows us to rationalize the situation in our minds and convince ourself that there's no threat. It elliminates the need to think that there are others who exceed.

If someone is famous -- they're a hero. We "know" them. They're friends. This is why people are so enamored of celebrity. But in all the time I've been on message boards, I can't think of a single time someone unknown was universally accepted, no matter how great they may be. There's always a few people who will find fault.

I have no problem with critiqing. I do it plenty. But falling into cliche's to create distance in an effort of not have to appreciate something is just lame. This thread reminds me a guy I knew who said he was disappointed when seeing the Collesseum because it was "small." lol

Look, I may not want Rembrandt pictures on my wall. That doesn't make Rembrant sh*te. The whole purpose of presenting this post was to share a moment of someone who so obviously has extraordinary ability-- at the thing we all do and claim to love. And what's the reaction? Noodling? W*nking? Unmusicial? Boring? That's not clever. It doesn't make you sound "above it. " That's just ignorance. Reinforced by the ignorance of others. Even if you HATE it, anyone with ears must know that the person's skill level is phenomenal. Even if you don't praise it, trying to knock it down just demonstrates an obvious insecurity. I see no need for that.

I think some people need to reevaluate their role as musicians. If you can only embrace what is within your comfort zone you will neither improve nor most likely be very creative. Art is seeing beyond the norm. It's a vision of a better life. But in some cases, you can show someone the cure for cancer and they'll find fault with it. Not everyone -- but enough people to make it unpleasant for everyone.

Lighten up. The next time you hear someone who you may not understand, or if you think isn;t as complex as others say, instead on getting on line and complaining about it. Pick up the bass and do some of what he or she is doing. Maybe share a technique or two. Contribute. Anyone can complain. THAT is boring.
[/quote]
[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1381498118' post='2239909']
You talking bout yourself here, right?

The fact is, you posted a video of a guy who played a pointless, soulless solo piece, and played it badly, you claimed he was amazing and better than Vic Wooten (who isn't my taste, but he's one of the most accomplished players on the planet) and now you're pissed off because people don't agree with you.

Go and have a sh*t and a think.
[/quote]
Ha ha ha. :lol: :lol: :lol: I was going to paraphrase him and say something like go and re-evaluate yourself because you are patronising and confused but have a sh*t and think is much funnier!

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1381500732' post='2239948']
Beautiful tone, composition and execution, the antithesis of the video Lowender posted in the OP.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC2i_04z8XY[/media]
[/quote]Very nice but when i see these i always wonder why they don't just play guitar instead!

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1381502523' post='2239979']
Very nice but when i see these i always wonder why they don't just play guitar instead!
[/quote]

Yes I totally agree, but the guy (he's a BC member) does play some awesome bass in his band too. This is just an extension of what he normally does. He really does have superior tone and ability, but above all he gives what he does some real beauty.

I can't stand solo bass normally, and yes, a good classical guitarist would be able to do this more effectively and it would sound even nicer, I posted it because sibob invoked a solo bass soundclash :D

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1381503569' post='2240004']
Yes I totally agree, but the guy (he's a BC member) does play some awesome bass in his band too. This is just an extension of what he normally does. He really does have superior tone and ability, but above all he gives what he does some real beauty.

I can't stand solo bass normally, and yes, a good classical guitarist would be able to do this more effectively and it would sound even nicer, I posted it because sibob invoked a solo bass soundclash :D
[/quote]Ha ha. Yeah i agree. That's what it's all about in the end!

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1381503764' post='2240007']
Ha ha. Yeah i agree. That's what it's all about in the end!
[/quote]

It really is just about various shades of beauty. That is of course subjective, but I think lowender is more interested in, or can only judge a player based on, highly eveloved technique. Which still makes me wonder why he posted that video in the OP :D

[b] [url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/505-count-bassy/"]Count Bassy[/url][/b]

Very Advanced Member[list]
[*][url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/505-count-bassy/"] [/url]
[*]Members
[*]1,040 posts
[/list][list]
[*]Location:Daventry, Northamptonshire, UK
[/list]

Posted Today, 03:01 PM

stu_g, on 11 October 2013 - 02:53 PM, said:

i gotta say i just dont like bass solo's ,in my youth i was all for a drum or bass solo
i just dont understand some of these bass players with say 6 string plus basses doing all this solo shenanighans
they should get a guitar it would sound nicer
i wouldnt go busking with a bass if i wanted to get any money :D
Very few bass solos that I like, and the ones I do tend to be slower melodic ones; Slap and tap fests leave me pretty cold.

My favourite bass solo has to be Martin Turner's at the start of Wishbone Ash's Handy (on the "Wishbone Ash" album).

Edited to add a link:

Edited again to say. I really hope that this is a solo and not multi-tracked.

[b]Edited by Count Bassy, Today, 03:13 PM.[/b]
Clive Thorne
Daventry,
UK.

i like that as the bass part builds up then leads into the band performance, its when the bass leads onto more bass i dont like

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1381504327' post='2240019']
It really is just about various shades of beauty. That is of course subjective, but I think lowender is more interested in, or can only judge a player based on, highly eveloved technique. Which still makes me wonder why he posted that video in the OP :D
[/quote]He makes me wonder why he posts many things!

I like solo and virtuoso playing (any Instrument), but the OP video is just too messy and disjointed for me.

[size=4]I have seen VW a few times with the Flecktones, his grooving and timing in[/size]
an ensemble/band situation is out there with the best of them.
I understand maybe his solo performances ain't for everyone, but it is always confident and minus flaky clams.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]After seeing the OP video again, I think I will tacet on re evaluating my role as musician,[/font][/color]

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1381507169' post='2240085']
But anyway, this one is nice, and has to do with bass guitar playing. I still didn't have the patience to get through the whole thing, but it certainly inspires;
[media]http://youtu.be/vQtTpF6IdZI[/media]
[/quote]

That was jsut him getting the dirt out of his strings to make them sound new.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1381498118' post='2239909']
You talking bout yourself here, right?

The fact is, you posted a video of a guy who played a pointless, soulless solo piece, and played it badly, you claimed he was amazing and better than Vic Wooten (who isn't my taste, but he's one of the most accomplished players on the planet) and now you're pissed off because people don't agree with you.

Go and have a sh*t and a think.
[/quote]

Wow, you're really confused mate. I could care less about people agreeing with me. It's about knowledge and taste and understanding and appreciation. I guess you missed that point, but I guess you have to understand it in the first place.