Why become a member? ×

Victor Wooton Ain't So Great

Lowender

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1381673195' post='2242059']
I wasn't confused at all. I think your pattern of arguing is. You're request for him to prove himself, i feel, then saying so far nothing was childish. Tell you what why don't we just get our cocks out and wave them at each other. We can measure afterwards if you like!
[/quote]

Yeah, you're confused. Seem a little angry too. Not sure why, it's okay though.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1381671896' post='2242025']
At 12.58 AM, Lowender posted this:

At 01:49 AM, Lowender changed this into:

At 04:51 (edited 04:52 AM), Lowender followed up with:

This is really all the data we need to have.
Our brains can do the rest of the legwork...

However, just to humour Lowender just slightly:

As written before, initially it would be far from me to criticise that performance. I understand and appreciate the context as well as the attempt. I understand the technical requirements to the player.
Had I been in the audience, I would have been smiling from ear to ear, and would applaud this with warmth ("warmth" should be in the dictionary, btw, just like "coldth" and "calmth").
However, the clip was used as an example of a type of greatness that would put VW in the shadow.
Now, while I do not specifically appreciate VW, or know his work for that matter, the greatness claim was followed by a claim about this performance's musicality.

This is where I disagreed, first politely and calmly, and avoiding a discussion of Lowender's way of behaving on an open forum.
Then stuff happened, and I felt the need to up it a notch, still trying to avoid a discussion on Lowender, but it was getting very hard at that point, as Lowender virtually pushes his opponents into certain areas.
Then more stuff happened, and I felt the bullying (specifically the claim that xilddx lacks Lowender's exquisite capabilities in the ears department) needed to be met.

OK. Now for part 2.
I do not think my insecurity is the issue here. Not that I do not have insecurities, but I'm always quite open and simplistic about them. I may be lame and weak and all kinds of other ugly things, but all of that would not change the way Lowender tries to rule this thread.

As to me being a musician, for reference and clarity purposes, I told about my musical background in my second post in this thread. Yes, I was once a musician, at a semi-international level and within classical and new classical music. Yes, I did teach in music college. I never claim that I am right because of that background, as I'm far too intelligent to say such a stupid thing, but I am sometimes telling people this so they are aware where my texts may stem from.

As a bassist, I'm just a noob who can't manage to play something like "Take a Pebble" or other ELP related stuff. This inability however does not guarantee that I am deaf.

You know what? It's now 15:40 PM (yes, I know), and ...
so far ... nothing!

Looking at the whole thread an how it was developing, I disagree, but I will respect your wish and will try to follow that lead.
To do that, I could also edit my previous posts, but since that would put others' reaction in a strange light, I think it's best if the posts are left alone.
[/quote]

Fine. A bit of change of tone but I'll accept it. Truce.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1381674928' post='2242103']
Gentlemen,

If you are unable to contribute anything positive to this thread I suggest you check Google maps to find the location of your nearest school playground and go battle it out with conkers.
[/quote]

How very topical! :)

Its good to have someone provide a qualified opinion as to the working that make the OP video suck, because it means that the rest of us that heard it sucking now know what about it made it displeasing to the ear, and correspondingly and work on those details to avoid sucking ourselves. Unless we write off such a qualified opinion because of the 'opinion' part, in which case we can carry on sucking and not appreciate it.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1381527263' post='2240480']
How about this guy then?
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyUZh_Cbw6Q[/media]
[/quote]

This guy is so good and his performance and interpretation of the music is so brilliant that I wouldn't neccesarilly lump him in with any of the other examples of show pony bass playing cited so far. Victor Wooten is capable of this kind of virtuosity on the electric too , it has to be said, but, to me at least , there is just something more complete and more tasteful about Adam Ezra's playing on the upright. As I said earlier , I have nothing against Victor Wooten , but I just think he could use his formidable skills to better effect than I usually see him doing.

Edited by Dingus

Gentlemen,

If you are unable to contribute anything positive to this thread I suggest you check Google maps to find the location of your nearest school playground and go battle it out with conkers.
[/quote]That's kinda what i was saying in my own ridiculous way.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1381518420' post='2240303']
... It seems that some people are intimidated by anyone better than them ...
[/quote]
I am confident I speak for many of us in saying that if I was intimidated by people who could play better than me then I'd have to not be here at all.

You are missing what really happened here which was that the OP held up a badly executed and somewhat unmusical performance as an example of greatness and, when some of us disagreed with his evaluation, things got sensitive.

So, what you perhaps ought to have said is "It seems that some people are intimidated by anyone disagreeing with them".

S'funny init. We can all disappear up our own arseholes by saying 'it's subjective, it's just an opinion' but what do we learn from this? Only that everything subjective has value to someone. However, I don't buy that sh*t, because if it is true, then total crap has value. Great art does not come from nothing, it comes from study, education, philosophy, attitude, history, imagination, perception, vision .. then the artist has to develop the skills to execute their vision.

If your music tutor told you your technical execution or your composition needed working on, would you tell them it's all subjective? That your string rattles and missed notes are subjective? You know when you are lying to yourself because you know what you did was no match for your vision. Either that or you are limited in your perception and listening skills.

I would guess that Simon Fitzpatrick (the bassist in the OP) would argue that his performance of the piece was substandard, and that any reference to competition with Vic Wooten is completely irrelevant and against all his principles. And that even though the audience seemed to enjoy his solo, he would agree he could have played it much better. I have his email address, I might even ask him :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1381676535' post='2242130']
I am confident I speak for many of us in saying that if I was intimidated by people who could play better than me then I'd have to not be here at all.

You are missing what really happened here which was that the OP held up a badly executed and somewhat unmusical performance as an example of greatness and, when some of us disagreed with his evaluation, things got sensitive.

So, what you perhaps ought to have said is "It seems that some people are intimidated by anyone disagreeing with them".
[/quote]

I completely agree, it was an absurd statement from Pete. Who the f*** wants to hear a competitive musician? And it's only competitive musicians who feel 'intimidated' by someone else's skill and ability. There are tons of them on youtube slapping the sh*t out of their instruments in meaningless, artless displays of stupidity.

From my own experience and that of others I know, amazing displays of musicianship only serve to inspire those who are interested in expressing themselves rather than making them intimidated.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1381676535' post='2242130']

[/quote]
Feel free to disagree all you like, however I think that it is a bit off for a bunch of weekend warriors posting on the internet about a pro that is good enough to get the Carl Palmer gig, saying that he is giving “a badly executed and somewhat unmusical performance”! that just seems dumb and disrespectful to me.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1381671896' post='2242025']

As written before, initially it would be far from me to criticise that performance. I understand and appreciate the context as well as the attempt. I understand the technical requirements to the player.
Had I been in the audience, I would have been smiling from ear to ear, and would applaud this with warmth ("warmth" should be in the dictionary, btw, just like "coldth" and "calmth").
However, the clip was used as an example of a type of greatness that would put VW in the shadow.
Now, while I do not specifically appreciate VW, or know his work for that matter, the greatness claim was followed by a claim about this performance's musicality.

[/quote]
Absolutely! Although VW doesn’t do a great deal for me either, I can appreciate his considerable talent.

Surely when someone plays critic for any artistic performance, they have to judge everything on its own merits. I thought that bass player on the Carl Palmer gig gave a pretty good live performance of a solo piece that got a good reaction from the crowd and like BassTractor, I am sure I would have been impressed had I been in the audience. That doesn’t make it the greatest piece of music I’ve ever heard or make him better than Victor…

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1381681947' post='2242238']
Feel free to disagree all you like, however I think that it is a bit off for a bunch of weekend warriors posting on the internet about a pro that is good enough to get the Carl Palmer gig, saying that he is giving “a badly executed and somewhat unmusical performance”! that just seems dumb and disrespectful to me.
[/quote]
labelling people on here 'a bunch of weekend warriors' seems dumb and disrespectful to me!

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1381681947' post='2242238']
Feel free to disagree all you like, however I think that it is a bit off for a bunch of weekend warriors posting on the internet about a pro that is good enough to get the Carl Palmer gig, saying that he is giving “a badly executed and somewhat unmusical performance”! that just seems dumb and disrespectful to me...
[/quote]
OK, I hadn't realised you thought that as I am not a professional musician I'm not fit to comment on what real musicians do.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1381682621' post='2242246']
labelling people on here 'a bunch of weekend warriors' seems dumb and disrespectful to me!
[/quote]
Why??

I'm sure that term applies to the vast majority of people here (including me)...

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1381682997' post='2242257']
Why??

I'm sure that term applies to the vast majority of people here (including me)...
[/quote]It's belittling. It implies little talent. There are people who do it for a living but don't play with ELP! With art ,as well, how much you do doesn't dictate how much you know. For instance, i know an absolute genius pianist. Has massive ability and understanding in/of music......give it up. Couldn't be arsed. But he would still know more than most. Is his opinion less valid as he doesn't do it for a living.

Edited by Lord Sausage

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1381415859' post='2238774']
No I'm not familiar with the song.... to me it just really didn't sound very musical.... Whats the original piece called?
[/quote]
It's Take A Pebble from ELP's first album. Here's the "proper" version.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaYsgjn82GA

Gentlemen,

[/quote]

Or maybe their seven string Conklins.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1381671896' post='2242025']Looking at the whole thread an how it was developing, I disagree, but I will respect your wish and will try to follow that lead. To do that, I could also edit my previous posts, but since that would put others' reaction in a strange light, I think it's best if the posts are left alone.[/quote]

No problem. And no need for anyone to edit their posts. It's clearly a passionate topic and that's fine - welcome in fact.

Let's just try to keep it on the level and avoid things boiling over. Not singling you out here by any means - it applies to everyone.

As you were...

Edited by Skol303