Why become a member? ×

Entwistle's isolated bass line

Pinball

Mr Entwistles isolated bass from don't get fooled". I'm sure that some will have seen this already seen this but thought it was worth a post.

I always loved the who with their kick-ass vibe, amazing rhythm section and cutting lyrics so was pleased to find this. His playing is much flashier than I appreciated

Note you need to give it some time to get into it and there are some nice pits at the very end.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80dsyo2Ox-0[/media]

and here is the same with the whole band

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp6-wG5LLqE[/media]

Edited by Pinball

I remember seeing an article about the Who and their amazing energy on stage. From memory it referred to Keith Moon as either a demented gerbil (could have been hamster) and Pete Townsend as whirling windmill, while Entwistle just stands there playing the bass. A bit of an understatement I think.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1381332257' post='2237760']
Think JE was far more the "lead" player in The Who.
[/quote]
Yep I was thinking that. At times he was leading and giving the others the space to jump around and whirl their arms etc. The perfect partner for Keith Moon

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1381344576' post='2237970']
Love it :) I've always thought that the bass should take a bit more of a melodic role and take over the lead at times. Glad that John E can prove my point right!
[/quote]

You need a guitarist who is happy to thrash out the power chords. Then it works.

Never really got JE - The Who were always sort of 'just there' - can take 'em or leave 'em - and overshadowed by the likes of Led Zep. By Christ, that's all just changed since listening to this. Very inspirational stuff. Thanks to the OP for posting this.

[quote name='mr zed' timestamp='1381355417' post='2238148']
Never really got JE - The Who were always sort of 'just there' - can take 'em or leave 'em - and overshadowed by the likes of Led Zep. By Christ, that's all just changed since listening to this. Very inspirational stuff. Thanks to the OP for posting this.
[/quote]
+1. Pure genius!

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1381356574' post='2238157']
So, what's that bass, and what's making that massive tone.
[/quote]

It's a custom Alembic, running in stereo through (I believe) Sunn amps. So, you've got the bridge pickup trebly and nicely distorted, and the neck pickup running fat and warm.
I've actually got an Alembic savings fund going on - at my current rate, I should be able to order one when I'm 50. :D