Why become a member? ×

Band leader: I want a songlist of 200 songs...

solo4652

I remember seeing Jethro Tull touring between lp's. I think the tour was called 'A little night music' anyway the program had a list of 60 (?) possible songs from which they did a set list decided on the day. Ian Anderson explained that 'it kept the boys on their toes'.

It was a great gig - they were on stage for 2+ hours and did about 30 songs.

200 is one hell of a set list.

Was he being serious, was that a request, or just thinking/wishing out loud?! Perhaps he was trying to assert his dedication and trying to gauge a reaction from the rest of you?
I joined a function band a couple of months ago and had to learn the setlist - they were already playing together so I had to catch up fast. The setlist is about 50 songs, maybe a couple more, and it was hard work. Some pop songs, Jessie J's Domino, Pricetag, Diamonds by Rihanna, Get Lucky by Daft Punk and the like took minutes to learn as it is pretty much the same chord progressions throughout - but others I had to put a lot of time into. Plus, I don know what your band leader wants, but my covers band changed keys of some songs, extended choruses, dropped verses, mashed songs together etc, which made learning some songs very difficult to learn in my own time without my band mates guidance.
I found it all quite stressful at times, 200 songs is a huge ask, especially if it is a case of learning them ASAP. I don't think I could handle it!
Best of luck!

At this stage, I'm unclear about whether band leader meant 200 songs before we start gigging (ha! - fat chance) or 200 songs somewhere/sometime down the line (and even that would take virtually constant rehearsing), or whether he was trying to make some sort of statement and/or gauge reaction. As I said, it's a brand new band and I'm trying hard to keep my opinions to myself, turn up on time, play the bass and go home. Personally, I don't need or want a full-time pro wedding band and I can afford to tag along for the ride for the time being. At the vey least it gets me out and playing with people rather than YouTube. We'll see how it pans out over the next couple of months but I will keep on checking the usual "Bassist needed" websites.

I think the guy sounds like a dreamer..
How many in the band....?
Does he know how hard it is to get a solid good paying set of wedding gigs.. ( how many does he think he will need...and he must have thought about that to consider it full time )
and it doesn't happen over night?

It doesn't sound like the OP buys into it all....but I think the first opportunity to jump will not be too far away. TBH..!!

I play quite a lot in a couple of related wedding/function bands, and agree that 200 to start is a hell of a thing to burden everyone with. We work from a songbook of about 100, and clients can pick from that, but we inevitably end up playing a core of the same 20 or so, with a selection from another 30, and the last fifty are firmly in the 'we can if specifically requested' camp, which can take a bit of brushing up on (although we don't go as far as to actually rehearse :D ).

Even given a 100 song list, virtually all clients are happy to go with the band's selection within an overall mood - after all, very few wedding DJs get given a full setlist already specified by the bride...

I'm not convinced the 'we know more songs than the others so we must be better' approach actually works, either.

In order to keep things positive, I'd suggest a band meet to discuss the 200 to 'prioritise' them ;) - with luck, you'll find a lot will wither away due to lack of interest.

If he wants all 200 ready to go right away...he's delusional...back away slowly, and keep smiling... :D

I know it's easily a bit contrary, but personally I think you should:
- be the tightest band in the UK
- have the longest sets in the UK
- be able to play just about every song the audience asks for. Why stop at a mere 200? In my experience, 600 songs will cover every possible mood.
- get paid the least in the UK.

Then again, I'm officially deluded.

Whatever angle you look at it from, the guitarman in the OP has an obvious problem, and then so has his band.
Even if he IS the demanding musical genius control freak superman, then is the rest of the band able to follow up? Hardly.

Good luck with that guy, Solo.

b

The great [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snooks_Eaglin"]Snooks Eaglin [/url]reckoned he knew 2500 songs. Could cause problems for his band members though, even one of the greatest bass players in the world...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGBKy5iMRBw

Watch this clip, you'll love it.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1381043796' post='2233590']
and i bet he wants his own monitor to put his foot up on and a fan to waft his hair too while he stands in front of his double 4x12 stack
[/quote]

And a 'personal assistant'. And an octopus wrangler. Or something. He is surely having a giraffe. IMHO. :)

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1380891999' post='2232006']
First meeting/jam/rehearsal of the new band yesterday. It's being set up by the guitarist who's fed up with his 9 - 5 job and wants a full-time pro wedding band. "I want 200 songs on the songlist", he said, "and no notes on stage". I'm now contemplating the huge task of learning 200 songs - gulp.
[/quote]

Sounds like he wants 200 guitar solos.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1381048845' post='2233642']
And a 'personal assistant'. And an octopus wrangler. Or something. He is surely having a giraffe. IMHO. :)
[/quote]

dont forgot the blue smarties

[quote name='blamelouis' timestamp='1381051578' post='2233664']
Sounds like he wants 200 guitar solos.
[/quote]

yes this - what if he only has the one solo - 200 variations would be some sort of record surely

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1381008905' post='2233465']
Why stop at a mere 200? In my experience, 600 songs will cover every possible mood.
[/quote]

One would hope that for a wedding functions band there wouldn't be too many moods to cover.
Really should be mostly happy songs but maybe learn 'first cut is the deepest' just in case

I remember depping for some friends of mine and being told They had a list of 70 songs which they circulated around the audience and let the audience members pick the tunes.

Oh......and I had to learn them, at the 5 hr band rehearsal, in the afternoon before the gig.

Amazingly, with the help of notes, I managed to learn about 30 of them.

Then drove 50 miles to the gig. Opened my case and realised I'd left all the notes in the rehearsal room (oops!).

I managed to get through the gig with the guitarist shouting the chord changes in my ear all night.

About 20 years ago, my buddy and I set up a band comprising of all the best players from 4 other bands (poached). We put a set list of 40 songs together and we had a backup list of about another 100 or so. They were generic arrangements and were grouped them into rock n roll, blues, etc etc....... It took us a few months to get it together and we played loads of gigs while setting it up so we were tight. We had a manager arranged and it was all set to kick off big time and we were going to be a professional gigging band. We played three gigs (as the finished product) and our guitarists (brothers) were poached by another band and it all fell flat on its face. Vest la vie.

• 2 weeks later...

I was asked to help out with a Punk band that was reforming after many years minus the original singer, who was sadly deceased, and, obviously, the bass player, who wasn't up for it.
I had never been into Punk, luckily it ain't really rocket science, a list of 30 songs and 2 weeks later, I meet the band, including the new singer who had a great voice and, like myself, had done his homework.
Sadly the rest of the band hadn't. Me and the singer were the only ones that had a Clue. They seemed to think that somehow it would all just come back to them.

Some people live in a dream world. I found a band full. Hopefully you just have the one.

I suggest you select a few of the more obscure songs out of that 200 and ask him to show you how the solo goes.

Edited by Nick Riffed