Why become a member? ×

The Best Bass to injure yourself with ?

Toddy

Last Friday during a routine on stage bass change, something unusual happened,, unsure if the strap got caught, or sheer adrenalin played its card,, but when taking off my P Bass, decided to strike myself in the face with it, and nearly knocked myself out,,, Oh everyone had a right laugh while blood was streaming down my face, and the world went very blurry for about 5 minutes, (Lovely black eye now!),,which leads me to my question,,is a P bass the right tool for the job?,, methinks the more contoured body of say a Jazz or a Streamer would have had less impact,,or maybe a bass wood body may have done less damage,,(you have to take these things into consideration!),,,anyone else injured themselves while playing??????,, and what's the most dangerous Bass for it!!.........

I remember Nirvana performance at the MTV VMA's where Krist Novoselic tossed his bass in the air at the end of the song. Maybe the stage lighting made him lose track of it and the bass came down on his head. Found this clip on YouTube.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RRf-tBJMOM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RRf-tBJMOM[/url]

[quote name='Jonnyboy Rotten' timestamp='1380666561' post='2228851']
Something pointy like a bc rich warlock or explorer I guess?
[/quote]
I got a concussion from a bc rich before. Burst my head open too.

Bassist jumped into the crowd and boom, goodnight mr wood!

I lamped someone with my old Warwick corvette's head. Stage invasion (?!) kid was pretty mong'd after!

I was knock out buy a guitar, not a bass. The girl rhythm guitarist in my indie band in the early '90's caught me on the head with her headstock during a gig. I went down like a sack of sh*t and was out for a few seconds. She gave my a couple of Feminax for the pain. Made me very stoned for a few hours and I played like a c*** for the rest of the gig. :blink:[size=4] [/size]

A P Bass would definitely be the way to go: Simo from the Clash has a permanent welt on his shoulder from one of his heavier ones (where the strap cut in) and I'm sure Sid Vicious used a P Bass to smash a guys face in when he tried to climb on stage at the Pistols second last gig in the US.
I've dropped one of my 78's on my right foot when putting on a stand (while fairly drunk) and destroyed my instep completely; it's always bloody sore! - the bass weighs more than I do!

That said, a TBird would also get the job done too- didn't Mark Hamilton from Ash get caught on his strap and fall off the (quite elevated) stage while wrestling with it? And I'm fairly sure Murderface from Dethklok won't have done his old fella' any favours by playing a slap solo with it on his Tbird Studio V (though he is a cartoon)

I picked up one of those pointy 80s basses by the neck and jabbed myself in the Gentleman's Area with the sharp top horn of the bass. Almost lifted myself off the ground in fact. :blink:

Edit: Looking at the shape of the bass in the ZZ Top picture it was probably the lower horn. :D

Edited by Fat Rich

The worst I've had was from a singer who was an apple short of a picnic, swung his mic stand around and proceeded to pitch shift my voice by an octave... played the rest of the song bent over, and then sat on the floor in agony for a couple of minutes before we continued!

I certainly hope I don't catch myself with the 6 string I have, it weighs the most of anything I've worn - even more than my Fender Nashville B-Bender Tele, and that's saying something!

[quote name='basshead56' timestamp='1380678278' post='2228911']
A P Bass would definitely be the way to go: Simo from the Clash has a permanent welt on his shoulder from one of his heavier ones (where the strap cut in) and I'm sure Sid Vicious used a P Bass to smash a guys face in when he tried to climb on stage at the Pistols second last gig in the US.
I've dropped one of my 78's on my right foot when putting on a stand (while fairly drunk) and destroyed my instep completely; it's always bloody sore! - the bass weighs more than I do!
[/quote]

+1 for the late-70s P. I also have a similar-vintage Strat which I've not weighed but it might even be heavier than the P!

[quote name='Jonnyboy Rotten' timestamp='1380666561' post='2228851']
Something pointy like a bc rich warlock or explorer I guess?
[/quote]

I remember reading an interview with Geezer Butler in Bass Player magazine many years ago. He was asked about basses. He mentioned that he tried a bass with a pointy body. During a performance, he was getting into the song. He brought his hand down quickly and hit his thumb the upper horn. His hand went completely numb.

A Ric 4001 seems to have been designed especially for the job as they hurt just actually playing them. If you happened to drop that thin weighty beast on your head it wouldn't mess around with just dislodging teeth, it would just carry on going and simply embed itself in your skull.

A very 'blunt instrument' indeed.