Why become a member? ×

Barefaced cabs, pricing issues??

bridge

Firstly, and before the Barefaced Police send round a hit squad, to burn down my house, let me quantify my position on these cabs, A) I know very little about them, other than what I have read, B) They are bloody expensive, worth it? probably, but expensive all the same C) I really, really, really want one!! ok that said, watching the ones for sale, the seem to go almost before they are even posted! very popular indeed, and for not a great deal less than the original purchase price. Until this week. There have been a few on here, that are hanging around, and even a Dubster on evilbay, that's still there. It is my humble opinion, that the introduction of the 3rd generation cabs, has made people stop and think, before parting with hard earned cash. I guess, in a long winded way, what I am trying to ascertain, is, what is a first generation barefaced now worth? are the prices finally reducing to a sensible level, for gen 1 at least, or is it just a blip? Sorry for lack of paragraphs, for some reason, I cannot get cursor to shift down!

Edited by bridge

I think BF cabs are very popular for two main reasons; 1. they sound very good indeed, and 2. they are light and very portable. This makes them a premium product in my view, and as such are likely to hold their value.

I take your point that now we have Generation 3, Generation 1 and 2 cabs logically should be cheaper second-hand, but the G3 cabs have only recently become available - thus we don't yet fully know how the second-hand market is going to pan out. :)

Edited by discreet

Another reason they hold their value is the fact that you cant just hop on the web/down to the shop and be playing it a few days later. You're likely to have a 3 month wait for the priviledge of playing one.

To some, that means they are happy to pay top money to get their greedies on one quickly. I have a BB2 on order and likely to be delivered soon - it costs £699 new and i bet i could play it for 6 months and then pass it on (if i didnt get on with it) for pretty much the same to someone who doesnt want to wait.

The only thing likely to change the second hand pricing is a sudden glut of Gen1 and Gen2 flooding the market as people trade up to a Gen3 and the fact that Alex has put things in place to shorten delivery times. I reckon they'll get a bit cheaper for a while and then increase again.

Edited by Mudpup

I think they are spendy..but worth it. Alex does take his products very seriously and spends a lot of time and effort getting them to market - nothing like the good ol' days of making an MDF box and chucking in one or four of the most generic speakers that could be got in quantity at low prices, so that it looked like every other company's product and fitted the market. That was a bit cynical, I know but that was how it seemed many years ago. You could only get generic and heavy speakers for bass. I'm really enjoying the new world!

I'd love to upgrade my Midget for a new version..but I can wait. It still does what I bought it for, even if the new version does it slightly better.

Barefaced products seem to divide this forum's members like the Red Sea!! No idea why...

I have a Compact. I used to own a Vintage. I have no idea which "g" either of them were or are. IME, there have never been enough BF cabs around to satisfy demand. Whether that is a deliberate marketing strategy is something I am unqualified upon which to comment.

Whatever the advances, I have no desire to shift my Compact just to get another Compact. I'd love a super 15, but that's another issue - and I'd happily settle for a g1, g2or g3!!

I have a Midget and a Compact and can't imagine ever needing to buy another cab. One and/or the other can do pretty much anything I'll ever need them to. They weren't cheap, but I have probably saved the expense by now is not going to the osteopath so much.

Alex doesn't have a bad bone in his body and makes one of the best products out there! I just cannot for the life of me understand some of the posts about Barefaced. One or two guys here almost seem to hate him and the product, the vitriol is barely under the surface. Yet no-one has ever particularly stated exactly why. I don't get it.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1380484913' post='2226065']

Alex doesn't have a bad bone in his body and makes one of the best products out there! I just cannot for the life of me understand some of the posts about Barefaced. One or two guys here almost seem to hate him and the product, the vitriol is barely under the surface. Yet no-one has ever particularly stated exactly why. I don't get it.
[/quote]

Tis the way of Basschat .

I've only been on BC for a few years , but Guy Pratt, Roger Baer and Jimmy Coppola have had similar treatment .

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1380484913' post='2226065']
One or two guys here almost seem to hate him and the product, the vitriol is barely under the surface.
Yet no-one has ever particularly stated exactly why. I don't get it.
[/quote]

Me neither. I suspect there may be something going on there that we are not party to.

I have a Compact, one of the first ones, which I bought from someone on here.

It's very light and gives me a great sound with the Ashdown MiBass head that I use. Also much louder in use than many other cabinets I have used before. It's not THAT compact though - despite its name.

They don't appear to be of the highest build quality (nothing like the quality of a TC Electronic for example) - but they're not bad, and I have been told that the later ones are of a higher build standard.

I'd recommend them highly.

Edited by The Dark Lord

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1380491969' post='2226225']
Here we go again , jumping in on my comments and twisting them ! No bias at all , it was just a question.
Jeez , Barefaced really is a touchy subject around these here parts .....
[/quote]

Are you posting under two different accounts, or, in spite of me quoting someone else right there in the post, decided it was addressing you?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1380502589' post='2226364']

Are you posting under two different accounts, or, in spite of me quoting someone else right there in the post, decided it was addressing you?
My apologies , I missed the other post and thought it was meant for me ! I'm tired and really should get some sleep....
[/quote]

bloody hell! Once again, a comment about BF cabs, brings out everyone defending them. In my original post, I stated 'I really, really, really want one!' I also said they are expensive, but are probably worth it! my query was, would the G3 cabs, bring down the resale value of the G1. However, lots of people seem to take it as a slight on the product! I reiterate, i want one!!!! I just cant afford it at present, I have nothing against them!

It's impossible to predict the second hand market, however I think the price will drop on the older models - maybe not immediately, but they will. G3 will hit the second hand market at some point in the future and as an updated newer model based on barefaced resale to date I expect them to hold a very good second hand price. I think it's at the point that g3 hit the market that prices will begin to drop more.

I have a simplistic view perhaps. I reckon the supply situation will always help those of us who have good conditioned used ones, in terms of resale price.
Just speculation though.
As to why some sell?
Some of us are magpies, attracted by the latest shiny thing. Them pretty ones from the Swedish company for example :D

As the former owner of a used Big One, and the current owner of a brand new Super 12T/V, for me it's the pleasure of owning something that was hand built in Britain, by people who are totally dedicated to the sole task of producing the best bass cabs that they can.

It's like owning a Morgan or an Aston Martin, instead of a Mercedes or a Lexus. I think the long lead times for a new cab (3½ months for mine) will always keep the second-hand price up. I sold my Big One for what I paid for it and had the pleasure of using the mighty beast for 6 months.

Why buy the S12T? You bad lot, who told the world that it was incredible.

...and yes it is :D