Why become a member? ×

Stage craft.....have you got it?

Leen2112

I went to see a bill of 4 shouty metal bands on the weekend. The headline band are a fairly new tech metal band called the safety fire. Awesome band along the Periphery style tech stuff.
What amazes me is how the bass player can fling his bass around and still pump out those difficult rhythms! One of the young support bands bass player was this big tall dude who pretty much jumped around like a gorilla on speed but never missed an obvious beat! I manage to sometimes walk backwards when i play but that's about it for me! Would be interesting to hear what the rest of you do.

Improving our stagecraft is the current 'Hot Topic' for my band at the moment.

We realised that apart from a bit of foot tapping and shoulder movement, we stood pretty stonefaced. So what we did to start it off was get really really drunk at a festival gig, bring a smoke machine and laser lights, and dance about and have a laugh on stage.

Since we go the 'Dance Nerves' out the way we work on moving about and jumping and stuff to different parts of different songs in the practice room. It has seemed to help alot!

If my band want a performing monkey they can go out and hire one. As far as I am concerned I've been employed to stand at the back and make the singer look a bit better than he actually is and I think I'm making a decent fist of it under the circumstances. Just look out for my 'I think I've been sacked' thread coming soon... ;)

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1378736507' post='2203917']
I might tap my foot a bit. Don't want to end up like this guy:

[media]http://youtu.be/6IMD7WJb7Nk[/media]
[/quote]

I did that with a washburn guitar once, snapped the head clean off.....damn you steve vai!

Foxy Shazam out stage craft all the bands I have ever seen, and oh boy, what entertainment.

When they supported The Darkness last year, the guitarist jumped on the singers shoulders mid solo, the keyman jumped into the crowd with his instrument, the bass player balanced the bass on its headstock whilst playing it, etc....it went on and never got tedious and they never missed a beat.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV9e27Rexi4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV9e27Rexi4[/url]

Not sure I would call that stagecraft ... I just call it being more visual
which may or may not be a good thing in the context of the band.
I make sure everything is together and that is my primary role.
The singer and gtr can jump about but no one misses it if they
miss a cue..

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1378740242' post='2203998']
If my band want a performing monkey they can go out and hire one. As far as I am concerned I've been employed to stand at the back and make the singer look a bit better than he actually is and I think I'm making a decent fist of it under the circumstances. Just look out for my 'I think I've been sacked' thread coming soon... ;)
[/quote] With you on that one fella......I laughed so hard reading your post that I nearly choked on my fish finger sandwich (not a euphemism, by the way)

I flail like an idiot fo rmost of the set, even though I am supposed to be singing into a mic for a majority of it. I have almost perfected the "length of the stage dive when my singy bit starts" technique. Too many bands round these parts either stand stock still or worse, all face each other or the drummer. The audience is there in front.... at least look at them!

Stagecraft isn't just about cavorting around like a whirling dervish, it's also about (in no particular order) knowing when you can jump around and when you have to stay still or be in a certain position, what effects are selected at any one time, is you gear set up correctly, have you got contingencies in place in the event of a problem (spare strings, spare bass, spare backline?). Have you got tools with you, extension cables, a towel etc.... I could go on but I'm sure you get the picture :)

At the moment I have to confine myself to looking at the audience occasiinally and smiling. Or sometimes tossing my hair about if I'm feeling extra confident
Anything more than that and I would definitely start playing loads of bum notes
But one day I hope to be able to throw a few shapes :D
Takes practice I think..:-)

I think it's important to try and put a show on, there's nothing worse than a band that look like they've just walked of a building site, looking like they'd rather be somewhere else, if the band don't look like they're enjoying it how do you expect the crowd too?

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1378767736' post='2204590']
I think it's important to try and put a show on, there's nothing worse than a band that look like they've just walked of a building site, looking like they'd rather be somewhere else, if the band don't look like they're enjoying it how do you expect the crowd too?
[/quote]

Definitely agree - always went all out with the enthusiasm on stage with my originals bands. I try to do the same with the function band - I've seen too many wedding/covers bands going through the motions or staying static and 'just' playing. The singer and I still play them like we're playing a rock show (and I'm slowly dragging the rest of the band along with us!) but it seems to make a difference. People comment on our energy and enthusiasm as much as the performance and being more visual definitely helps to engage with any audience.

As wisely stated above, its not just about being a whirling dervish, but if you look like you're having a damn good time up there, its more likely the crowd will loosen up and do the same!

I do try to move around a bit. In a trio with a guitar/vocalist and drummer I'm the only one that CAN move usually.

I also try to remember to smile once in while as I usually (unconciously) look such a miserable git when I'm playing - or so I'm told. Recently I've had an annoying habit of holding my breath while playing. So 'mouth slightly open, show teeth' helps in both respects :D

It just depends on your circumstances and what the dynamics of the band are. In other bands I've been much more proactive and interactive with other members. It just happens that my current situation appears to be quite clear. There's the singer out front and his backing band stuck as far behind as the venue reasonably allows. We don't take the attention of 'his' audience away from him. Eventually I'll probably start hankering for a bit more movement and interaction again and look for another band but I pretty much knew what I was signing up for when I took the job on.

Id rather play a few bum notes and give a nice energetic performance than stand statuesque and play perfectly. Its all about the show isn't it? That guy from Sparks did the standing still thing better than anyone else is ever going to be able to do it, so its been covered. :)

Ironically, with my latest band I never seem to get the room to move about and weve just gone in ears so im tied to a mike stand until I can afford a wireless set up.

I once played a short set with a guitarist who turned his back on the audience for the entire thing - never again

always been interested in this stuff,, both as a solo performer and in the band. to me its also being aware of the invisible fourth wall between you and the audience, some performers seem to have a natural ability to build or break down this wall at will, but can be learned by anyone...getting the audience involved(or not) is definitely a craft..I really like the audience wanting to get involved / dance and I tend to be lively on stage, make eye contact, smile, but their are occasions you just need an audience to listen, performance bubbles are also cool,,,the old clown trick,,bubble one is being by yourself alone, isolated on stage,, bubble two, is recognising someone and acknowledging them (even if you don't know them) and bubble three is watching the audience realise you are on stage in front of everyone (this make sense to anyone?)...nothing wrong of course in bursting on a stage and going for it either mind..its as complicated as you want to make it really,,but a good example is watching a top comedian,, he really needs folk to listen,, so usually jumps on the hecklers really quick and firm,, if everyone thinks heckling is ok and joins in it soon turns to chaos....its an interesting thread...