Why become a member? ×

Is it acceptable to get rid of a bass that was a gift?

Jono Bolton

I've got a Fender Jazz Bass that sits in the back of my wardrobe going unused. I don't play in a band so I have no real need for two basses, and my Precision is my go-to bass. I prefer the sound, the feel and the look of the Precision. So just get rid of the Jazz, right?

Well, the Jazz was a present from my parents for my 18th, 8 years ago. It was my main bass when I didn't have another option, but since the P came, it hasn't had a look in. In any other circumstance it would have been sold, but because it was a present I can't bring myself to part with it, I'd feel too guilty.

I also play guitar, but haven't had one for a few years now. Recently, I've seen an Epiphone Les Paul on Gumtree, with the seller looking for a trade on bass gear. I had an Epi LP before which I loved, so swapping seems like a good option as I'd use the guitar more, but would it be worth it to get rid of something that was a relatively expensive and thoughtful gift?

Also, I don't want this to turn into guitar-bashing! Just opinions on selling or trading gifts, as ultimately it seems pretty ungrateful, doesn't it?

Edited by Jono Bolton

If its not been used and is unlikely to be , I'd say its no bad thing to sell/trade it for something you would appreciate like the Epi LP.
I understand the attachment but if its been stored away and not even " on display " then it could wel be time for it to find a new home.

Quite good to have a P and a J though, just to backtrack slightly!!

I've kept the basses that were gifts from my wife but no other reason than sentimental I guess. If I was going to sell any of them I would ask for her opinion and approval before going ahead.
I would probably have a different view if I truly needed to sell one of them to buy something else I definitely needed.
Think if you ask your parents if they will be ok with the sale they will probably say go ahead its yours to do what you want.
If your parents had bought you a car instead you would trade it in at a later date for something else and no-one would bat an eye-lid. Its the done thing.

All in all - ask parents and if ok then go for it.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1378158745' post='2196545']
I've kept the basses that were gifts from my wife but no other reason than sentimental I guess. If I was going to sell any of them I would ask for her opinion and approval before going ahead.
I would probably have a different view if I truly needed to sell one of them to buy something else I definitely needed.
Think if you ask your parents if they will be ok with the sale they will probably say go ahead its yours to do what you want.
[b]If your parents had bought you a car instead you would trade it in at a later date for something else and no-one would bat an eye-lid. Its the done thing.[/b]

All in all - ask parents and if ok then go for it.

Dave
[/quote]

Dave's post makes a lot of sense but when parents buys a first car it's usually a cheapo runaround to learn to drive in.

If the instrument had been a beginers instrument you could assume that they had intended it to be traded in as and when needed.

Epiphone Les Paul = £150/200 S/H
Fender Jazz Bass MIM = £300+ S/H
Fender Jazz Bass CIJ = £500+ S/H
Fender Jazz Bass USA = £600+ S/H

If you do decide to part with it, I'm sure it is going to be worth at least TWICE what the Epi Les Paul is worth, so probably best to sell it, and then tour the shops and try out all the Epi's until you find the one you want.

If you do a trade, then it should be your Jazz plus cash your way, not a straight swap.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1378198160' post='2196794']
As a parent I would be more upset that my son kept an instrument in the back of a cupboard and never played it.

Sell it for one you will play.
[/quote]
This. But - the replacement has to be a good quality item

Out of interest, what is the the model, is it a Mexican, Japanese or American?
Reason I ask is because it is probably going to be worth a lot more than a second hand Epihone Les Paul, I have one that has never left the house, and I would be lucky to get £200 for it, I won it at a festival and don't really want to sell it, but on checking on ebay, they don't fetch much second-hand.
Here's a few examples, admittedly there are a couple of hours still to go on them, but none of them have reached £150 yet, obviously it's your choice, but if your Jazz bass is a Fender, then it's going to be worth at least £300 even for a Mexican.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Guitar-Honeyburst-/321195229457?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4ac8ba4111

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-guitar-blue-/331001330248?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4d11377a48

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Electric-Guitar-/331009161092?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4d11aef784

I think it depends on the personality of your parents, for example; my parents got me a nice Ibanez 5-string for my 18th, was my second bass after a Squire P starter and I ended up part-exing it for an EBS cab, which in turn got part-exed for a Barefaced; told them about it and they were absolutely fine with - just happy I used the equity it to get to the gear I want/need now.

However, I think if it had been my mother-in-law, the conversation would have been different and she would've been offended I'd sold it or seen changing as a waste.

Thanks for all your input guys.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1378156124' post='2196501']
As long as you trade it for something you will use rather than bits and bobs like some trainers, top up your mobile, a night out etc I think its all good IMO. You could bring it up and explain the situation?
[/quote]

No plans to piss the money away if I sell it, any proceeds would be used to fund a purchase of something musically-related that I'd get some use of.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1378158196' post='2196535']
Tell you what, you could always ask them - assuming they're all well, and your still talking, et, though apologies if not.

I know what you mean about gifts though - but it'd be interesting to hear what it means to them.
[/quote]

That was my plan really, although my parents seem to have it in their heads that I'm constantly buying and selling gear, when in reality I haven't bought anything for years. In my younger days I did have a massive turnover in gear though, including some deals that saw me get the sh*tty end of the stick (Epiphone LP Gold Top for a Squier Telecaster :( )

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1378159830' post='2196567']
Are you desperate for the money? If you are then sell it, if not then hang on to it for a few years and sell it when you do need the cash.
[/quote]

Nope, I'm not desperate for cash, as I said in the original post, I'd be looking to replace the bass with something I'd use. As it was a present, I'd still want to have something to show for the money they spent.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1378196475' post='2196772']
keep the J

buy the LP

simples
[/quote]

Not that simple I'm afraid. If I had the cash to buy the Les Paul outright I would have done so but as it happens, I don't have spare cash to buy anything just now. What I do have is something I don't use that I could potentially sell/trade to acquire something I would get regular use of.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1378197653' post='2196784']
Epiphone Les Paul = £150/200 S/H
Fender Jazz Bass MIM = £300+ S/H
Fender Jazz Bass CIJ = £500+ S/H
Fender Jazz Bass USA = £600+ S/H

If you do decide to part with it, I'm sure it is going to be worth at least TWICE what the Epi Les Paul is worth, so probably best to sell it, and then tour the shops and try out all the Epi's until you find the one you want.

If you do a trade, then it should be your Jazz plus cash your way, not a straight swap.
[/quote]

The bass is Mexican, but I disagree with your valuation of a second hand MIM bass. If you have a look at the marketplace on here, there have been a lots of Mexican instruments (standard, not Classic reissues or anything like that), that have struggled to go around the £300 mark. I would say that £225-275 is a more realistic valuation, depending on condition. The seller of the LP is looking for £250, which seems to bea bit above the going rate for them at the minute, based on the ones I've looked at on ebay/Gumtree/etc.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1378198160' post='2196794']
As a parent I would be more upset that my son kept an instrument in the back of a cupboard and never played it.

Sell it for one you will play.
[/quote]

Good point

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1378198468' post='2196802']
Swap it for the guitar.
Like 99% of the general public, your parents most likely won't be able to tell the difference between them anyway.
[/quote]

I did think about that! :lol:

I think what I'll do is have a word with my folks this week and explain the situation, I reckon they'd be more ok with it than I will. At the end of the day, it's a shame to see it sitting in the back of my wardrobe (or not seeing it, as it is), and someone may get more use out of it than I do, and any money I get from selling it could be put towards something I'll play on a daily basis.

I've nearly sold my Yamaha RBX775 a few times due to lack of usage and also getting better instruments. It was a present for my 21st (I've just hit 30) and I defretted it a few years ago and whilst I still don't play it a lot (an hour a month or so) I'm glad I still have it.

Edited by Machines

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1378156124' post='2196501']
As long as you trade it for something you will use rather than bits and bobs like some trainers, top up your mobile, a night out etc I think its all good IMO. You could bring it up and explain the situation?
[/quote]
That. As long as the money got for the present (given to you many years ago!) are put into good use or the present itself is traded for something you need, that shouldn't be a problem.

That is, as long the bass has no "To dear Jono Bolton on his 18th Birthday, may this instrument be used well for the rest of your life" plaque ;)

I`ve never been lucky enough to have been bought an instrument, but if I had been, and it was an item that I didn`t use, I think putting it towards an instrument I would use be a better use of it than it sitting around doing nothing.

Unless there are sentimental reasons to keep it, do the trade, but as others have said, do it wisely and make sure the value of each is taken into account.