Why become a member? ×

Can you suggest me a 5 string

Damonjames

Hey b'cers I'm starting to budget for my first 5 string and wondering if you could help me out. My first choice would be a fernandes gravity deluxe, but availabilty is a bit of an issue, and it's reaching the absolute edge of my budget. Second would be a warwick streamer, but really love a J/J pickup config which seem hard to come by in my price range.
I would say probably around £800 mark would be my threshold but that would mean waiting 6 months to get it.
I can say with confidence that fenders are out, I love my fender 4's but the string spacing on the 5 kills me, although the thickness is quite comfortable.
Can anyone suggest some more options? Cheers guys!

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1377432243' post='2187381']
I'll throw in Musicman SR5, 34" scale length with narrow 17.5mm string spacing and you would get a second hand one for that money.
[/quote]
Yep and you probably won't lose a penny on it if you get one second hand either, it is still THE five string bass IMO. My cheapest bass is my black SR5, it has the wrong neck fitted as it was a factory fretless and is a very last of the ceramic pickup models which I had previously bypassed in favour of alnico ones to be more stingray, it's my favourite bass!

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1377433616' post='2187408']
Yep and you probably won't lose a penny on it if you get one second hand either, it is still THE five string bass IMO. My cheapest bass is my black SR5, it has the wrong neck fitted as it was a factory fretless and is a very last of the ceramic pickup models which I had previously bypassed in favour of alnico ones to be more stingray, it's my favourite bass!
[/quote]

There's one I owned (briefly) up for sale by it's owner on here now, matching headstock to :)

The Godin Shifter is a fine bass and you can pick them up for £750 new if you go for trans black:

http://www.bassgear.co.uk/product/clearance/godin-classic-shifter-5-trans-black-ma/

I've seen a few people try these out and they always get good reviews. Made in Canada and the final fit and finish is really good.

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1377445657' post='2187608']
Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions, as much as I love stingrays, right now I'm looking for something else. One day ill treat myself to a 4 string, but right now I'm leaning more towards a warwick, any other thoughts?
[/quote]
Unless like me you decide to ditch the 4's completely ;)

Thanks pete! Just find the finger board a little too wide on the fender style jazz. Really liking the idea of the modern look of the fernandes/warwick with an active emg jazz pickup set. Has anyone played the rob trujillo signature warwick? I know it's made in Korea so just wondered what the build quality is like vs a German made 'wick

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1377502929' post='2188106']
Really not bothered by buying brand new! And to be fair if I can get a 5er that comes in at any price but sounds and plays like I need it to I don't mind at all.
[/quote]

Sounds to me like you should look for a used Ibanez SR or Warwick. You could get a Prestige SR used for your budget, or look out for something mid range and save a load of cash.

Of course, if you could find a used Sandberg Basic Ken Taylor 5, that would be best....... :D

There is a nice MM sub5 on ebay, he's in Brighton and is asking £600, dropped from £700.
Others will tell you this is still a lot so he may take an offer, quite a rare beast with 5 strings and seemingly on a par with a USA stingray

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1377431670' post='2187372']
Take a look at the Yamaha range. I bought a used TRB off this forum and I'm well pleased with it. 35 inch scale though.
[/quote] +1 - can't go wrong with one of these. I've had one for 12 years and it does a lot of different things very well. :)

Edited by louisthebass

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1377433616' post='2187408']

[/quote]

I went through about 5 fivers before I conceded that they didn't work forme. Sandberg, G&L, lakland and MM SR5......the MM was easily the best. Fortunately didn't lose a penny on the SR5 when I sold it.

Instead of blindly picking a bass that is someone else's favorite, I will give some design criteria to look for:

1) At least a three-piece neck for stability and damping of resonances (dead notes).
2) 2 (B&E) + 3 (ADG) tuner arrangement so the B string doesn't bind over the nut or around the tuner, but has enough space for the string leader to tune the B string smoothly.
3) Lightweight Hipshot, Gotoh or Schaller tuners.
4) The "neck" pickup in proportionally the same position as the D-G segment of a Precision bass pickup to get the proper balance of fundamental and overtones on the B string. This is counter-intuitive, but having good overtones and intonation actually help a B string sound "fuller" and "clearer" together.
5) Longer upper horn to balance the bass against neck dive.
6) Clean broad-band hum-cancelling electronics, whether active or passive, because Jazz growl doesn't necessarily equal clean when it gets to the B string and P thump doesn't necessarily mean solid fundamental and sustain.

There are many basses on the market that meet these criteria, from my US$279 on sale Ibanez SRA305 to the bespoke offerings of Dingwall and Little.

Shop a lot. Play a lot. If you see one you like, put it down and walk away from it and come back a couple of days later to see if you feel the same way about it then.

Notice I did not say anything about nut width, bridge spacing, scaling, neck contour or body wood. This is because these are all personal preferences and good basses are out there with all variations on these themes.