Why become a member? ×

Modding -- Which Worked? Which Didn't?

Lowender

I'm of the general philosophy of leaving guitars alone. It seems most every time I do a mod, it is not for the better.

I put Norstand pu's in a CV J bass, thinking it was going to make it kill. It sounded no different.

I've replaced vintage bridges with a Badass. It sounded no different.

I put a state of the art Mike Pop pre-amp into an 1997 Fodera. It sounded worse.

There are always tech guys who insist changing this pot or that capacitor makes all the difference. Nothing.

The only mod I ever did that was an improvement was a fretless replacement neck on a MIM Jazz.

Anyone else? Which have you found do be a good move? And who believes that a bass is a bass with its own personality and you can't change wine into whiskey.

I've never modded a bass but I have modded a few guitars. In the case of my telecaster, I shielded the control cavity, put in better pots and switch, and replaced the pickups because they were microphonic. The guitar definitely sounded better afterwards---less noise, bigger usable range on the volume/tone pots, and best of all no unwanted squeals!

The biggest change you can make is to try different brands and types of strings, it's surprising how many people don't experiment.

I was always modding my basses when I first started playing but now I leave them pretty much alone unless there's a problem. Because there are so many "upgrades" available for Fenders it's tempting to chuck them all on it, and then it doesn't sound like a classic Fender anymore.

Edited by Fat Rich

One of the best mods I've done is to take the neck off of a Fender American Special jazz as it was the only good thing about that bass, I put it onto my Squier CV, both aesthetically and tonally it was a great mod. As well as changing the stock bridge for a Schaller roller bridge which again was a beneficial mod as getting the right action is so easy now.

I think a lot of people who do mod sometimes adopt the mentality of: "Putting a BA2 on my jazz will turn it into a completely different bass!", which in my experience isn't always the case, in fact BA bridges generally mean you'll be buggered when trying to get a low action.

I used to bugger about with these sorts of things but apart from extreme mods like gutting an Epi Les Paul Standard and decking it out in EMG-HB pickups (split P in a guitar humbucker sized enclosure) and an EMG-BQC 3 band EQ which obviously completely change the sound of a bass from the original passive humbuckers, the only one which made any pleasing difference was the single coil mod on my G&L Tribute L-2000 - a really nice tone that isn't normally available. Other mods have made pleasing functional differences like the Hipshot Supertone bridge on my RD Artist - big improvement in adjustability, but whether or not it made any difference to the tone is debatable (and the RD is a bad example, its character comes from the bonkers Moog circuit) or the Ultralites on my Jack Casady (just helps with the balance a bit)

Replaced the mudbucker in my first bass with a DiMarzio Model One. Can't even remember what the difference/point was. All my current basses have the pickups they were born with, and I have no desire to mess about with them.

I've modded a few of my basses and am generally pleased with the results.

A Westone Thunder Jet bass - stock bass is very well put together thing with a gorgeous neck and light of body, unlike the Thunder and Thunder 1A basses, with a 'stealth' look of satin black finish and hardware. But it is passive bass and I found the sound from the stock pup was a little thin. I replaced the pup with a SDP-3, installed a J. East P-retro and a put on a Gotoh-a-like high mass bridge (because I find them more comfortable) and it is something of a beast now. Sounds and plays like something that is quite expensive.

I have also made up my nigh-on perfect bass from various bits. I bought a 90s MIJ Precision bass - very lightweight - on here. Electrics were knackered but I have now fitted a J. East P-retro and Wizard Trad pup. I changed the BBOT to a Hipshot A style bridge. It came with a Mighty Mite Jazz neck finished in 'vintage tint' that I PXed on here for a natural maple neck. My favourite bass.

Fender Precision Lyte that I bought unseen - hated the colour and the electrics didn't work. I stripped it, refinished it, changed the guts to a J retro. Lovely thing.

I also bought an Epiphone EB0, changed the bridge to the Hipshot Supertone, the stock mudbucker to the Dimarzio model 1 replacement and new pots/loom from Ki0gon that actually does something. Sounds like a different bass now.

But I enjoy fiddling with them. I don't do it to increase value, I am just curious about how the changes affect the basses.

Edited by Paul S

Same, I`ve added Badass & Gotoh bridges, swapped the pickups out for this & that, and realised that I prefer the sound of the instruments stock. I don`t even put straplocks on now. The only "mod" I`ll do is an anti-mod, if I get a used Precision I`ll replace whatever pickups/bridges/capacitors/pots are in there with stock Fender parts (if required).

My Ibanez has had the 3 band EQ ripped out, replaced with a KiOgon J bass loom, which was then taken out and is now (about to be) wired straight to the jack. My Fender has an EMG active pickup in, which wasn't done by me, but i'm going to replace it with a SD SPB-3 or the current Fender model, and another one of KiOgons, looms, as well as shielding it all. That's the extent i get with mods, so far.

Liam

I've changed a regular fender string through bridge for the newer HMV version and it did sound better afterwards. Same lovely vintage tone but just more of it, and it was louder acoustically too.
I'm into lightweight basses so a good mod for me also is lightweight tuners to avoid neck dive.

My so-so mod was installing a Lindy Fralin P pickup. Don't get me wrong, it sounds awesome but no better really than the Fender Original P pup that it replaced. The Fender is half the price.
I did fancy trying a Wizard Thumper next for some added oomph, but alas I've missed the boat there eh? (pun intended ;))

I think everything I've got has been modded, from just a pickguard (Stingray) to complete Frankenbuilds (Fenderbird, Laklandbird, FrankenPs) - even my Dingwall's got a P-Tone pickup in the neck position. Different necks (Lakland and Mighty Mite), pickups (Wizards into a Fortress, Dingwalls into the Laklandbird), custom wiring (serial/parallel switching), refins, you name it.

Can't think of a single mod which didn't improve either the looks, playability of the sound of any of them. Highlights, and parts which for me are pretty much essentials, are Hipshot Ultralights and Xtenders, and Schaller 3D bridges. Oh, and the serial/parallel wiring mod.

Oh hang on, I put some EMGs in the Fenderbird a while ago, but to my ears they didn't sound as good as the originals, so I took them out again. That's all I can think of that I didn't like, apart from various makes and types and gauges of strings which worked to greater or lesser degrees - that's a good way, as has been mentioned, to change the sound and feel of a bass cheaply.

It can get a bit addictive, reading back over that lot...Er. :unsure: :D

Edited by Muzz

Had a Columbus jazz copy which had a dodgy neck, badly scarred bridge, previous owner had added a precision PU and the bridge PU had stopped working entirely. With the precision PU removed, stock Fender jazz PU's added in correct places, badass dropped in and a Mighty Mite neck replacement with decent tuners it basically became a very playable and decent sounding jazz bass albeit slightly on the heavy side. However the only bit of the original left worth talking about was the body.
The one spent a fair bit of money on which by the end of it made me wonder why I'd bothered was being picky with a pre-EB ray I found cheap. The pre amp and PU were modern EB ones rather than the originals. I sold those off and bought in a John East pre and Nordstrand PU which were both closely modelled on the early rays. An expert could probably hear the difference but for me it was probably not worth the effort. Decided that rays weren't really for me anyway and sold it on.

Every bass and guitar I have ever owned is stock I have no interest in tweaking. My perspective is that if I can't get it out of a stock guitar, I won't be able to get it out of a custom job. I accept there are exceptions but, for me, its mostly superficial irrelevance.

I remember a guitar player friend of mine. I was 17, he was 30+ (we met at work). He used to spend all of his time knobbing about with the action of his guitars, the strings, buying and selling, changing amps, adding effects etc. I played one his guitars one day and he said ''kin 'ell, Rob. You are better than me and I am twice your age'. My response? 'If you spent less time messing around with the gear and more time practicing the music, you might get better quicker' :lol:

**Guitars**

Nearly all my Fender Strats have been modded....

Take a basic strat - any will do, although my preference is the Mexican road worn series - Thin layer of nitro paint.

Add;
Custom Shop 57/62 Pickups
Heavy Steel trem block (There are several people that machine them up to spec)
Heavy Strings, like 12's
Optionally add a TBX - taste
Optionally add an Eric Clapton +25db boost circuit - can be fitted in the standard pot rout.

I used 2 guitars for years based on the above formula, one had the clapton boost and TBX tone control - the other just had the basic mods.

Versatile guitars with allot of power.

**Never modded a bass!

My cabs are Peavey TX 210's with Eminence beta's and the horns removed.....if you class that as modding?!

Only one waste of time. A Badass. No discernable difference.

Good stuff. Schaller strap locks, Wizard Thumper and a Black scratchplate. That's about it.

If I get a cheap bass I upgrade the pots and switches first before I do anything drastic. Nearly always makes a big difference.

most of my[i] 5 [/i]basses and[i] 4 [/i]guitars are either a custom/franken built or modified. I always got the improved result I had in mind, in case of modifying my fretless pilot with a set of nordstrand it was even above my expectations. [i]mostly it was the pickups that I had changed (usually swappwed the original emg's for other pickups) but I also changed some tuners/electronics . [/i]so all are keepers for now and hopefully for a long time.
but changing strings still is the most drastic mod every time. :lol:

Edited by krysh

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1377015816' post='2182264']
I never understood getting something like a VM Squier and then changing the tuning pegs, the switches and the pu's. It winds up getting close to the price of a Fender and it's still a VM Squier.
[/quote] I resemble this remark!!
I've done this as my first "self-build". By using a Squier body and neck you do, at least, start with a good base with a good fitting pocket. The rest is down to personal taste. After all, you're in the same position if you start with a Fender, for example, when you've changed the electrics, bridge and tuners it's not a Fender anymore either. They're all Frankenstein builds. Or are they?

How much can you change before you should really sand the logo off?

I've bought a few "Fenders" and on all of them I've found capacitors in the wrong place in the circuit, wrong type of pots, non-Fender bodies, etc etc. IMHO, if it's not all original its not a Fender.

Thinking about the OP question; the most successful "mods" I've done have been where I've converted a (mostly Fender) bass back to nearer standard.

[b]Changing tuners[/b] - function improvement for stable tuning - no real sound improvement I guess.
[b]Hipshot bridge[/b] - aesthetic improvement. Sound improvement/sustain; maybe, but not massive.
[b]Pick-ups[/b] - worth changing on a cheap bass to get better sound, but most half descent basses come with good pups. So anything else is subjective.

Series/parallel switch. I added one to my MIM jazz. Its given it another more echoey sound.

Edited by Grangur

The best mod I've ever done was splitting the coils in the humbuckers of my Dean Cadillac, massively increased the range of sounds I can get out of it.

Other than that I only really "upgrade" anything if it needs replacing, and if I'm changing out the pots I replace the cap with an Orange Drop and add shielding.

My Warlock, however, as soon as I pull my finger out I will be replacing the nut with a stainless steel one, though purely for aesthetics. And over the next couple of years I hope to add a J U Retro and replace the pick ups with DiMarzio DP127s, I have to confess to not being overly happy with the sound I get from the Warlock, the bridge pick up is particularly weak sounding, and I really like the look of the twin rail pick ups.

My washburn status got customised by accident. After the frying eggs, and the radio signals I was receiving, the bass is now passive.
Same pickups, but the active circuitry was removed bynGraham Noden in Denmark street. I also had to have a switchcraft jack fitted , as I damaged the original .
The band I was in loved the new sound. Washburn status are very bright sounding basses ;)

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

I put a set if dimarzio j123 pickups in my Mexican jazz, and swapped out the bridge for a gotoh 201 and changed the pots.... Results? Awesomeness!!! It's a completely different beast to ally now.
I installed a SD quarter pounder p and j bridge pickup into my mike dirnt signature fender again awesome!!! So much more growly on the p and much more variety with the j bridge.
It pays to do you homework before hand and have a realistic expectation for the results.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1377005382' post='2182080']
The biggest change you can make is to try different brands and types of strings, it's surprising how many people don't experiment.
[/quote]

Most definitely THIS.
A synergistic string choice can make all the difference.
The hard part is finding the right strings!