Why become a member? ×

Which Flanger?

SPHDS

Sorry if this has been done to death/is a stupid question.....but as the title suggests, I am in the market for a flanger pedal, and was wondering what to get - do I need a bass specific pedal, or will any do? Also, are there any that I should look for/avoid....?

Well personally I think the best use of flanger and bass guitar is Tool's Chancellor and he uses a standard Boss BF2 flanger designed for guitar. In answer to your question, no you don't need a 'bass' flanger. In fact, I don't know if any exist.

FYI, I'm selling my boss Bf2 in the BC for sale ads. Check it out

Righteo, cheers for the ideas! Missed out on a MXR earlier (forgot what time it ended.....D'oh!), so back to keeping on looking.....!
What are the opinions on any of these, as there seem to be a few on the 'bay....! (and how do they compare to the Boss, which I know seems to be seen as King....!)

1) Arion SFL-1
2) Behringer (various - HF300/SF400/FL600)
3) Danelectro FAB Flange
4) NUX Flanger Core

What kind of sound do you get from a flanger and how does it differ from a phaser? I've got a diago pedalboard arriving and I'm starting to acquire pedals. Got an ashdown LoMenzo distortion, a fender frv1 reverb arrived today and a boss chromatic tuner coming. Probably get an envelope filter next for a bit of fun. Maybe a chorus and I should be sorted then...maybe :-)

To my ears the all time best Flanger sound is the EHX Electric Mistress. Downside is that its huge and needs its own PSU.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC7KEXo9XRo[/media]

There's a few clones out there like the Mooer Electric Lady.

I've also heard good things about the Boss BF-2.

Edited by uncle psychosis

[quote name='SPHDS' timestamp='1375569030' post='2163105']
Sorry if this has been done to death/is a stupid question.....but as the title suggests, I am in the market for a flanger pedal, and was wondering what to get - do I need a bass specific pedal, or will any do? Also, are there any that I should look for/avoid....?
[/quote]

:hi: Simples! The 'Vortex' by TC Electronic.. and check out the 'Sweet m***er' tone print by Mark King.. Job done! They are quite expensive (around £100 new), but they come up on evil bay quite frequently, which is where I got mine.. paid about £40.00

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1376332636' post='2172339']
What kind of sound do you get from a flanger and how does it differ from a phaser?
[/quote]
Both produce moving 'notches' in the frequency spectrum.

Chorus and flanger effects do this by delaying the signal by a short time (typically 2mS to 10mS) and mixing it with the dry signal. The delay is varied slightly - the speed or rate knob controls how fast this variation occurs. Flangers tend to operate at the lower end of the delay range, and feed some of the output back to the input.

Phase shifters create a very short delay by passing the signal through an 'all-pass filter', basically a resistor-capacitor network. The difference here is that the time delay is frequency-dependent, so different frequencies get delayed by different amounts. Like flangers, they also usually have a feedback or regeneration control.

Hope that helps!

Note - my personal preference is for a good phaser.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='SPHDS' timestamp='1375827629' post='2166320']
Righteo, cheers for the ideas! Missed out on a MXR earlier (forgot what time it ended.....D'oh!), so back to keeping on looking.....!
What are the opinions on any of these, as there seem to be a few on the 'bay....! (and how do they compare to the Boss, which I know seems to be seen as King....!)

1) Arion SFL-1
2) Behringer (various - HF300/SF400/FL600)
3) Danelectro FAB Flange
4) NUX Flanger Core
[/quote]

The Arion is good. But it might help to say what sounds /examples you are thinking of. Also have a listen to the CHORD flanger pedal.

• 1 month later...

Whilst I don't use FX on my bass, many years ago I used to play my Korg MS-20 in a psychadelic group. During that period I tried many modulation units but (as already mentioned) nothing came close the agressive snarl of an Electric Mistress Deluxe.