Why become a member? ×

Set up issue with my American Special P Bass

Rusco

Hi all, wondered if anyone else has experienced this issue ?

I took my new American Special P to my local music shop for a basic setup. Turns out the neck was like a banana however to adjust the truss rod they've chamfered the edge of the pick guard hole with a knife saying 'the special fender tool would not fit otherwise'.

Not happy but before making a scene I wondered if this is normal ?. I was going to mail Fender but haven't been able to find an emil address as yet.

Cheers.. R

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1375307687' post='2159696']
They should have taken the neck off instead. Clowns.
[/quote]

+1 This. Or at the very least slackened off the strings and unbolted the neck far enough to access the adjuster.
Totally unacceptable.

Edit: Michael, how long have you been a Mod??! :D

Edited by discreet

Wouldn't be happy if this was done to my bass without asking. Having said that I took a dremmel to the body of my P so I can fine tune the truss rod adjustment without taking the neck off. There is a good reason that the truss nut moved up to the headstock end of the neck - it;s a pain in the arse taking the strings / neck off to move it 1/4 turn

yes my old hot rod precision hat a little semi circle cut out so you could access it with the truss rod tool
but if you dont have the cut out you just remove the neck
its a bit of a worry if they didnt think to remove the neck they should have least asked what you wanted first

The easiest way is to remove the pickguard, but it sounds to me they`ve gone in at an angle trying to miss that, and messed up. It takes no time to take the pickguard off. If the pickguard is removed, the Fender tool fits fine, without needing to remove neck etc.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1375313746' post='2159780']
The easiest way is to remove the pickguard, but it sounds to me they`ve gone in at an angle trying to miss that, and messed up. It takes no time to take the pickguard off. If the pickguard is removed, the Fender tool fits fine, without needing to remove neck etc.
[/quote]

This is exactly what I do when I have to adjust the truss rod on mine, though I don't have the Fender tool, I just use a screwdriver.

Liam

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1375318955' post='2159814']

This is exactly what I do when I have to adjust the truss rod on mine, though I don't have the Fender tool, I just use a screwdriver.

Liam
[/quote]

This is what I do with my CIJ P bass.

[quote name='Rusco' timestamp='1375307271' post='2159680']

I took my new American Special P to my local music shop for a basic setup. Turns out the neck was like a banana however to adjust the truss rod they've chamfered the edge of the pick guard hole with a knife saying 'the special fender tool would not fit otherwise'.

Not happy but before making a scene I wondered if this is normal ?. I was going to mail Fender but haven't been able to find an emil address as yet.

Cheers.. R
[/quote]
I would think "the neck was like a banana" only to the monkey they got to adjust it! I'd say they owe you a new pick guard & the cost of the set-up refunded + an apology!

Name & Shame the shop to protect the rest of us ;)

BTW Fender UK email contact: [email protected]

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='Rusco' timestamp='1375307271' post='2159680']

Cheers.. R
[/quote]

If they're inexperienced enough to think you need to carve the pickguard to do a setup, I would question the setup itself. Unacceptable.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1375313746' post='2159780']
If the pickguard is removed, the Fender tool fits fine, without needing to remove neck etc.
[/quote]

As far as I can Google, the American Special P has a semi-circular access slot in the pg that allows use of a Fender ball-end hex wrench without removing the pg or unbolting the neck... I'm guessing the shop didn't have this particular tool!

My custom P is vintage-style and has no such access slot either in the body or the pg, and requires the heel end of the neck to be moved upwards to clear the body and the pickguard for adjustment.

Edited by discreet

I have the same bass. I swapped the scratch plate for a black one when new that now has a fair bit of wear around the adjuster slot from where I've tweaked the neck over the past 6 years.

I could easily have remedied this by taking it off or putting a cloth on it. I would expect a paid tech to do that. I'm too lazy and I'm not that bothered but it's my bass and I'm not being paid to fix it.

Edited by Low End Bee

Another vote for pickguard removal. I recently had a friend's Geddy for a setup and i only needed to take out the pickguard to access the bolt. With a simple large flat head screwdriver you can adjust the bolt 1/4 turn each time without having to take out the neck. I would ask them for a replacement brand new pickguard.

those guys are idiots and don't know their way around a bass setup, stop using them and find a proper luthier or start doing your own setups ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1375343958' post='2159933']
As far as I can Google, the American Special P has a semi-circular access slot in the pg that allows use of a Fender ball-end hex wrench without removing the pg or unbolting the neck... I'm guessing the shop didn't have this particular tool!

My custom P is vintage-style and has no such access slot either in the body or the pg, and requires the heel end of the neck to be moved upwards to clear the body and the pickguard for adjustment.
[/quote]

Oh, i now see that the bolt is hex, probably my last post is a bit off and in this case it might be needed to take off the neck (or not...).

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1375343958' post='2159933']

[/quote]

Yes, the US Standards have this cut-out as well Mark. It`s a bit awkward to do the adjustment without scraping the pickguard though, but like Ad, as it`s my bass and it`s going nowhere, I`ve not been too fussed about a bit of wear on this.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1375351219' post='2160060']
Yes, the US Standards have this cut-out as well Mark. It`s a bit awkward to do the adjustment without scraping the pickguard though, but like Ad, as it`s my bass and it`s going nowhere, I`ve not been too fussed about a bit of wear on this.
[/quote]

Still, sloppy for a shop - 2 minutes worth of effort to remove the pickguard, if that?

I'd be having a grumble.